Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Karstein

Mar 31, 2011
I apologize for the apparent topic spam today, but holy crap there's a lot of exciting PC gaming news abound:

ESEA said:
What can I say? It's been a long time coming! Just today news from the VALVe office has emerged as our own Craig "Torbull" Levine has taken the trip down to supposedly "help develop" the new version of Counter-Strike. Counter-Strike:Global Offensive (CS:GO). Is this VALVe reaching out to the community, recognizing the competitive community?

News first arrived about the new version on the ESEA.net Facebook Page, saying:

"Counter Strike: Global Operation... More info tomorrow!"

Jess Cliffe, one of the original creators of Counter-Strike, was seen posting on the SteamPowered forums, saying "Global Offensive."

Rumors:

• Planned to be released Q1 2012
  • Focuses on 5v5 competition
  • Press release within 24 hours from VALVe
  • Plays on an updated source engine
  • Individual & Team rankings
  • New Guns added
  • New Grenades
  • Dust & Aztec major revamp
  • Spamming still viable
  • Ammo is free

We can only hope and wait in anticipation as more details are revealed and are made public. As always, keep it tuned to ESEANews.com and the ESEA.net Facebook Page for more info!
Click

Here's hoping every person they've called in to give them advice is giving heavily 1.6-based requests in there. No CoD/BF clones either, please.

Miklebud

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2002
Oh boy! CS 1.5 is what got me into PC Gaming! I'm very excited to see an update!!

DirkGently1

Mar 31, 2011
Some of this sounds a bit odd. "Focuses on 5v5 competition". What do you suppose that means? Smaller maps? "Ammo is free". Wasn't it always?

Is this just CS:S 1.5 rather than a full blown 2.0? I Can't see the CS:S faithful being swayed much by this unless it is exceptionally well done.

Ben90

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
You used to have to pay for ammo. I started Source a little bit later than early adopters, but for what I played it wasn't as in depth as 1.6. It was either don't purchase any, or max out.

In 1.6 you had to make tradeoffs between saving money and being able to spam. Even simple things like that can add a lot depth to the game. We just won the pistol round, I got X kills and can afford X weapon but no ammo for it. Should I take the extra power at the likely possibility of running out of ammo? Also keeping in mind that you generally use the weapon more frugally, reducing its overall effectiveness vs just sticking with an mp5 and being able to spam.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
I never got why anyone preferred 1.6 to source.

IIRC, it was mostly people bitching that the Source engine didn't perform the same way (duh, it's a different engine). They didn't want to adjust to slightly different aiming, movement, hit boxes, etc.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Yes, I played 1.6, Source and Tactical Ops, which were essentially all the same game. Due to playing TO first, I could never get into CS as much as TO because of the slight differences. Personal preference, but I might have to check this out when it comes out. I played the hell out of these games.

Ben90

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
There are a few good reasons to prefer 1.6 to Source. 1.6 is stronger in places like Romania where you don't need a beefy computer to run it. I believe that is why it still posts 50k+ users a day.

The game play mechanics are quite a bit different in 1.6 as well. The skill cap is a decent amount higher. Plus people are resistant to change. An excellent example is when Source got converted to the Orange Box engine. The changes made me quit playing as a competitive game.

Things that a casual gamer might not pick up, can mean massive massive changes on the competitive side. The biggest one I can think of is the online netcode. On the original engine, going around a corner allowed you to see the person around 110ms before the person sitting there saw you, even with a ping of 0. This was called peakers advantage. The benefit vs now netcode is that despite always playing in the past, everything was stable. I also feel like the peakers advantage helped gameplay in the sense that you could be a lot more confident with going around corners. It also made people that didn't understand it rage hard. ""OMFG wtf he was still in the air when he shot me. He shot me before coming around the corner! WTF I was already well behind the wall but I got shot like I was in the past. Ect.""

Even if you don't agree with it as a mechanic, which I can completely understand, the new way just blows. The Orange Box engine tries to keep the players in the correct position a little bit too much. At first it might seem like the ideal way to do things, and on a LAN it really is. The problem is now everything has to be extrapolated for online play. When strafing back and forth, the netcode has no idea if the player is going to switch directions or keep going. EVERY time you switch directions, the extrapolation has fix twice as much guessing. Example why this is bad:

You and an enemy player are perfectly in sync, strafing back and forth looking at each other.

In the old engine, he would be at the same point and at the velocity you were 110ms ago. If you change direction, he is 110ms behind. If you stop moving he comes to a stop the exact same way you did, just 110ms behind.

Now, since the new engine extrapolates position, shit gets funky. Lets start the example already moving, you are face to face. Exactly the same spot and velocity as yourself. Now you both let go of strafe at the same time. You start coming to a stop, but he keeps going on your screen. Now the engine has to not only stop him on your screen, but has to have him reverse direction on your screen so he can be in the correct place. Neither player hit the "A" key on the keyboard, but both view the other has having moved both left and right.

Now lets add another step, before he finishes stopping, you start moving in the opposite direction you were originally going. Two weird things now have to happen, first he may not ever take that short stopping break. Second and VERY importantly, in order to catch back up to you, his velocity has to exceed yours.

Lets look back at what happened here. You moved right at 250units/second. Stopped for 0.1 seconds, and started moving left eventually hitting 250units/second.

What anomalies happened to the player on our screen? First, he moved too far right, then he never stopped for that 0.1 seconds, then he accelerated much faster than normal to the left.

Lets apply this once again even further to an extreme. I'm watching a corner with my AK. You approach the corner, but decide to stop right before peaking because of whatever reason. On my screen you get extrapolated out into the open and get 1 clicked. I never should have seen you, but I did.

They did tone the extrapolation down a bit. When it first got ported, it was stupid as hell.

M0oG0oGaiPan

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2000
digitalgamedeals.com
maps in source were too cluttered with props. spray pattern was random. hitboxes were laggy. I loved source.

1.6 was great but I think 1.5 or 1.3 was better. There was quick scoping and guns had stopping power. There wasn't as much slow down after you landed from a jump either.

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009
It sounds like source with matchmaking and ladders. Dunno not too excited about reprogramming server mods and recomping maps if it becomes popular. I don't even know if the CS:S modding community will just say forget it and stay on source.

Josh123

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2002
Is this just an update to the current CS or a new game all together? Will we have to pay?

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
i still prefer 1.6 to source, source felt to arcadish, and wasn't competitive at all.
so is this valves answer to cs pro mod?
i hope this works as this would bring me back to cs, altho i still do play 1.6 and cz :D

money management was HUGE for competitive play. if you won pistol round your team would go mp5 second round and ak/colt 3rd round if you won again.

if you lost pistol round did you suck it up another 1-2 rounds to save up or did you go for deagles to try and gain that advantage back.

i miss money management since all strats were based off that

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
i still prefer 1.6 to source, source felt to arcadish, and wasn't competitive at all.
so is this valves answer to cs pro mod?
i hope this works as this would bring me back to cs, altho i still do play 1.6 and cz :D

money management was HUGE for competitive play. if you won pistol round your team would go mp5 second round and ak/colt 3rd round if you won again.

if you lost pistol round did you suck it up another 1-2 rounds to save up or did you go for deagles to try and gain that advantage back.

i miss money management since all strats were based off that

You make it sound like money management in CS was anything deep that affected the CS gameplay. It really wasn't.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Hmm, so it sounds like there's going to be an official announcement either today or tomorrow (hopefully today). Looking forward to it.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
You make it sound like money management in CS was anything deep that affected the CS gameplay. It really wasn't.

i know lol, just wished they put it back into css, instead of giving everyone 16k at the start of every round <sigh>

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009
i know lol, just wished they put it back into css, instead of giving everyone 16k at the start of every round <sigh>

Only Pub servers do that. Any decent competitive play has money management. If you don't like 16k servers complain to the owners of the server or find a new one. Don't blame the game.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Scumbag Gabe Newell

eyI3L.png