Counter-Strike 2 on TF2 Engine/CS:CZ on HL Engine/TF2 has a ways to go (from Gabe at Valve)

NakaNaka

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000
for anyone who hasnt seen it

<<Hmm. Let's see if I can't address some of the issues people are raising.

1) Counter-Strike Condition Zero is a collection of single-player missions. Rogue came to us after Alice had shipped and EA had cancelled the PS/2 port and said &quot;hey is there anything we can do for you.&quot; I had always wanted to see some Counter-Strike single-player missions, so we asked them if they'd like to do that. They were enthusiastic, so we started paying them to develop it. Unfortunately for everyone involved, Jim Molinets decided to leave Rogue to go to Sony, which left Rogue, Valve, and Condition Zero in limbo. Barrett Alexander decided to fold Rogue at this point, and we decided that we would build Condition Zero ourselves. It's being built by Erik Johnson's team, Minh is in the loop.

2) So, to paraphrase a frequent question, &quot;What the f**k is up with TF 2?&quot; Well, TF 2 isn't easy. There is still a ton of work to do on it. TF 2 has to be something really innovative, or there's no point to it. If TF 2 doesn't add dramatically to the genre and is just a more bigger better version of TFC or Counter-Strike or any of the many cool mods already out there, then nobody's going to give a rat's ass about it. There are far more people working on TF 2 than will be working on Condition Zero. Robin and Yahn can have anything they need to make the game.

3) What's Minh working on? He's working on Counter-Strike 2, which will use the same engine as TF 2.

4) Isn't that damned Half-Life engine just a little long in the tooth to be releasing yet another game on it? Condition Zero will be fun to play, but will not be cutting edge graphics. It's a cool set of single-player missions for people who like realistic tactical combat. If you can't stand to look at Counter-Strike any more, don't buy it.

TF 2 has taken and will take a loooong time to get done. Hopefully we will get it right, and everyone will say it was worth the wait. In the mean time, we are doing stuff like the SDK, Worldcraft updates, Blue Shift, Condition Zero, spectator mode, TFC, supporting the MOD community, more maps, more models, and so on to support the people who paid us money.

While we are working on our next generation, we will continue to deliver games and technologies for our custoemrs. The next update we will release will include voice support for multiplayer followed by Tracker. CZ is also part of that on-going committment.

Gabe

PS - Yes, this is really me. gaben@valvesoftware.com>>

Ok people there we go. CS:Condition Zero will use the same CS graphics as of now so nothing great just single player. CS2 on the other hand is going to woop and its gonna be on the TF2 engine and Team Fortress 2's release date is atleast a year away it seems.

What you think?

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000

<< haha your kidding right

TF2 = Team Fortress 2 its been in production for years.
>>

I don't play many games right now I still only really play AOE 2 with Expansion

Stark

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2000
thanks for the clarification. I don't know why you would play cs single person, so I'll wait for cs2.

amdforlife

Banned
Apr 2, 2001
TF 2 at least a year away? damn....i'll probably stop playin games by then. oh well, i like cs better anyway. would you happen to know when we can expect 1.2 out?

KameLeon

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2000

<< TF2=Daikatana? >>

Phew! I see you have a smiley at end. hehe ;)
If you don't know about, or have never heard about TF2, You shouldn't be playing PC games.

Anaconda

Banned
Feb 18, 2001
soy, i doubt it, look at counter-strike! TF2 will obviously be a classic, and Daikatana did bad because every good developer left and all they came out with was a POS. OOOOH, i cant wait for CS2 and TF2!! OOOOOOOOOOH!

NakaNaka

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000
TF2 is going to change the industry. CS is pretty good now, imagine it on an engine updated by about 4 years. Drool. CS2/TF2 are going to be great. CS: Single Player will be ehhhhh, the engine is starting to suck and the AI isnt suited for tactical combat. We will see if they graphics are good enough (like the models) to make the fact that the engine isn't that good less important.