Countdown: 6...5...4...3...2...1...0 day(s) until COVID-19 will "miraculously" disappear

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Let's hope not. 2,227 total currently.

But more than 500 a day. My guess (what a morbid bit of forecasting this is) would be for about 700-800 deaths for April 1 itself. Probably will reach 1000 a day within a few days of that.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Yessir, Trump is going to have to sit down and eat that fat diseased crow all by himself.

I hope he chokes on it too. He's too dumb to give himself a heimlich maneuver so that's some built in satisfaction right there.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Yessir, Trump is going to have to sit down and eat that fat diseased crow all by himself.

I hope he chokes on it too. He's too dumb to give himself a heimlich maneuver so that's some built in satisfaction right there.
no he won't.
he avoided prosecution despite clear evidence he committed federal crimes.

the guy is untouchable, at least while in office. And I bet after he leaves office he immediately flees to a country without an extradition treaty.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
no he won't.

the guy is untouchable, at least while in office. And I bet after he leaves office he immediately flees to a country without an extradition treaty.

In the way you framed your response, I agree. My mind was focused more on the historical aspect of how Trump being Trump has managed to make controlling this killer outbreak much worse than if he just stayed the hell out of it all.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
On no history is going to be brutal on Trump. He'll end up a bigger monster than Stalin and Hitler.
But as old and unhealthy as he is he won't know it. Donald will be gone before he sees those books or hears about lessons in school on him.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
no he won't.

I don't think I'll be surprised if he doesn't attend Biden's swearing in, if he were to be somehow 'delayed with something very important' *lots of tiny hand waving* in Saudia Arabia or Russia. And yeah, he just ends up staying there. He'd need an autocracy with resources, no shitholes in Africa, of course.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Ha, Nancy just slapped the Nero sticker on dipshit's forehead.

Speaker Pelosi said "his denial at the beginning was deadly" and that as he "fiddles, people are dying."

Reactions: DarthKyrie

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
This morning I was convinced that Trump would not be swayed by science and would seek to reopen America in a week or so. I am very happy to be proven wrong. Trump did the right thing and is finally speaking in "real talk" to his base.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
On no history is going to be brutal on Trump. He'll end up a bigger monster than Stalin and Hitler.
That's overdoing it. But worst President in United States history, past or present? Absolutely. Worst American in United States history, too? Pretty close...

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
It's 81F in New Orleans and 87F in Miami at the moment and the infection/death rates are climbing. Temperature and humidity don't seem to matter much.

They might play a factor all other things being equal. The problem, of course, is that other things aren't equal.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
What were the temps 3 weeks ago?
My point was, "What is the temp in NYC now?" How high does the temp have to get to have any effect? If places that are already hot/damp still have high rates of transmission it doesn't bode well for the idea that warm weather is going to provide relief.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
My point was, "What is the temp in NYC now?" How high does the temp have to get to have any effect? If places that are already hot/damp still have high rates of transmission it doesn't bode well for the idea that warm weather is going to provide relief.

I heard that it wasn't really the Temp, but the amount of Sunlight that mattered, potentially.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
It snowed in Tokyo yesterday. If it was cold in NYC when the current crop of infected people got infected two to three weeks ago then it's going to take a few weeks for the higher temps to show an effect (if there is an effect).

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
How does heat explain the nearly 5,000 cases in Brazil where it was Summer when it started?

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Yeah. UV could be a huge factor.
Southern Arizona is entering the spring pattern (finally, it was delayed a bit this year) of hot, dry weather with the highest solar UV insolation of anywhere in the continental US so we'll see how it goes. I hope this idea is correct.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Southern Arizona is entering the spring pattern (finally, it was delayed a bit this year) of hot, dry weather with the highest solar UV insolation of anywhere in the continental US so we'll see how it goes. I hope this idea is correct.

If it is correct, that just means it will likely flare up again in the Fall. It would still be better though, because it would give us time to prepare and even recover a bit.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
How does heat explain the nearly 5,000 cases in Brazil where it was Summer when it started?

Well, 5,000 really isn't that much for such a large country and there are parts of Brazil as far away from the equator as parts of Florida (24°). Also, flu seasons happen in warm places too because of an increased number of imported cases that manage to spread a little bit and possibly a shift in UV due to the angle of the sun. That's how the flu does it.

Even if summer has a similar effect like it does with the flu, we have zero immunity and the viral load/shedding is off the charts (10,000 more than the flu, IIRC). That means the summer effect could be rather significant and yet it could still spread easily relative to the flu. Doesn't mean we won't gladly accept any reduction!

I'm still holding out hope that there will be *some* reduction in summer, even if it's less than I'd like.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Well, 5,000 really isn't that much for such a large country and there are parts of Brazil as far away from the equator as parts of Florida (24°). Also, flu seasons happen in warm places too because of an increased number of imported cases that manage to spread a little bit and possibly a shift in UV due to the angle of the sun. That's how the flu does it.

Even if summer has a similar effect like it does with the flu, we have zero immunity and the viral load/shedding is off the charts (10,000 more than the flu, IIRC). That means the summer effect could be rather significant and yet it could still spread easily relative to the flu. Doesn't mean we won't gladly accept any reduction!

I'm still holding out hope that there will be *some* reduction in summer, even if it's less than I'd like.

Looks like it's just getting going down there.

Reactions: CZroe

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Still waiting to see if there is a huge surge in Florida and Georgia from the beach goers. Proximity is the culprit not temperature. Flu naturally is higher during the winter since more people in doors in close proximity. Not that cold helps the spread of the flu and heat kills it.

Reactions: CZroe