could use some job advice

zixxer

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
I got a 13% raise.. that puts me about 15%-20% under the 'market value' for my position. When 'given' the raise I sent it back and asked for them to take another look at my review, etc..

I was given a 'hint' that they may come back and say that they "feel that this position was designed with a lower pay in mind" i.e. that it was never intended to pay so much..

what would be a good response? The only thing I can think of is that if they feel like they can get by with hiring someone who knows nothing about the position then go ahead... but I would rather not give the impression that I don't want my job either..

Reel

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2001
Originally posted by: L3p3rM355i4h
find a better paying employer. If your skills are in demand, you don't have to take that crap.

If you are underpaid, find a new job. Keep your current job in case you aren't as skilled or in demand or underpaid as you think.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
find a better paying employer. If your skills are in demand, you don't have to take that crap.

:thumbsup: Your "market value" is what someone is willing to pay you, no more. If you can't find someone who'd be willing to pay you more, you don't have a leg to stand on.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
If demand for your skills is such that you can walk out & find a job paying what you feel you are worth, do it. They're unwilling to pay more, you can find better, who wouldn't leave?

Then again if demand isn't good enough for you to do that then you aren't worth as much as you think you are.

Viper GTS

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: armatron
I got a 13% raise.. that puts me about 15%-20% under the 'market value' for my position. When 'given' the raise I sent it back and asked for them to take another look at my review, etc..

I was given a 'hint' that they may come back and say that they "feel that this position was designed with a lower pay in mind" i.e. that it was never intended to pay so much..

what would be a good response? The only thing I can think of is that if they feel like they can get by with hiring someone who knows nothing about the position then go ahead... but I would rather not give the impression that I don't want my job either..

I would start looking for another job, line it up and get the offer in hand and then talk to them again. Let them know that they need to beat the new offer to keep you

zixxer

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
Originally posted by: Viper GTS
If demand for your skills is such that you can walk out & find a job paying what you feel you are worth, do it. They're unwilling to pay more, you can find better, who wouldn't leave?

Then again if demand isn't good enough for you to do that then you aren't worth as much as you think you are.

Viper GTS

i've been here 4 years. my boss is awesome, as is the people i work with. the vice pres's are the ones stopping this..

Aug 16, 2001

Why would a company pay you more for neffing at work. ;)

Nov 7, 2000
if your market value is what you think it is, you will be able to get it somewhere else

so take your 13%, or pack your bags

zixxer

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
Originally posted by: FrustratedUser

Why would a company pay you more for neffing at work. ;)

probably because i was fixing the call routing system throughout my lunch break.

Drakkon

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
what you do and where you work greatly effect market value...what you think your "market value" might be can be greatly reduced by cost of living where you live, benefits given, bonuses provided, job description, company size....theres an HR website that cross references census data across all those categories and more and gives a true "market value" for pay rates based on census reporting, and from what i've seen it varies DRASTICALLY from anything you mgiht see on sites like dice, monster, etc
13% sounds like a helluva raise...anything more and you obviously got hired for too little and you need to get outta there cause you'll be stuck at pay under what you consider market value cause u started off so low

ATLien247

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Drakkon
what you do and where you work greatly effect market value...what you think your "market value" might be can be greatly reduced by cost of living where you live, benefits given, bonuses provided, job description, company size....theres an HR website that cross references census data across all those categories and more and gives a true "market value" for pay rates based on census reporting, and from what i've seen it varies DRASTICALLY from anything you mgiht see on sites like dice, monster, etc
13% sounds like a helluva raise...anything more and you obviously got hired for too little and you need to get outta there cause you'll be stuck at pay under what you consider market value cause u started off so low

Link?

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
If a 13% raise truly leaves you 15-20% below what you could get somewhere else and you're still willingly doing the job, you're too stupid to be employable.

DainBramaged

Lifer
Jun 19, 2003
Originally posted by: Reel

If you are underpaid, find a new job. Keep your current job in case you aren't as skilled or in demand or underpaid as you think.

bmacd

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
a 13% raise???? The last time my pay was modified, I lost $2 an hour at kmart. They felt I was making too much for my position, and if i didn't sign the waiver, i had to quit. Since I'm military, i'm ineligible for workers comp, so i just stuck through it.

-=bmacd=-