Could this be due to a bad motherboard?

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
I figured I would ask in a new thread.

My new rig (Asus P8P67 Deluxe) continues to have problems. Last night, it shut down again. The problem I had was my HDDs shutting down and my system crashing. I thought it was caused by upgrading to the latest P8P67 bios 1253. But even using 1053, it still crashed. This time it didn't recover.

When I tried to reboot, it would reboot several times. When it finally did post, my HDDs were missing and my RAID setup was gone. After getting into the bios, there was a message saying that a power surge caused my system to reboot. This happens every time I reboot. Inside the bios, I can see that my 5V rail voltage is fluctuating pretty badly. It jumps from 4.1V-4.7V and is listed as red most of the time. Before I go out and get a new PSU, does this sound like a MB problem or more of a PSU problem? My Corsair HX520 is 3-4 years old. I've got 5 HDDs, 1 SSD, Radeon HD 5870, DVD-R, 6 120mm fans, 1 140mm fan, and USB speakers.

Thanks.

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010
I'm not really an expert on power allocation, but it sounds like you're pretty loaded there on a 520w psu.

http://ixbtlabs.com/articles2/storage/hddpower.html
for example, the plain Barracuda 7200.8 may draw up to 2.5A from the +12 V line at start-up. Add 3 W drawn from +5 V to get the peak start-up power consumption of 33 W! What if there are two or three such drives in a system? In this case you should play safe and take a PSU at least by 100-150 W more powerful than processor+video+motherboard require. Food for thought.
I'm also seeing that the 5870 could be drawing around 140w idle and around 250w under load.

Last edited:

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
I'm not really an expert on power allocation, but it sounds like you're pretty loaded there on a 520w psu.

http://ixbtlabs.com/articles2/storage/hddpower.html

I'm also seeing that the 5870 could be drawing around 140w idle and around 250 under load.

Thanks. Seems to make sense. Don't PSUs lose like 5-10% efficiency each year or something like that too? I guess I'll try going the new PSU route. I'm due and it's probably a better solution than having to RMA an MB.

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010
I'm not positive about that, just floating the idea out there.

You may look at your different parts and just see what all of their power needs are.

Haunty

Jan 23, 2011
I'd reset bios to default/turn the overclocking off, remove all HDDs except your boot drive. See if it is stable then.