Could mind control by alien invaders be the cause of conservative irrationality?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Is moonbeam saying the parasites are from outer space or from Mexico?
He might be partial right on this one. Having brain parasites will certainly affect your political stance.

Another study about politics and the brain showed conservatives have a more active amygdala while liberals have a more active anterior cingulate cortex. The amygdala is used for fear and quick decisions while the ACC is used for conflicting ideas. This is consistent with another study that showed conservatives make faster patterned decisions while liberals are slower but more accurate when the pattern changed.

Potential causes of an enlarged amygdala
-having a depressed mother
-autism
-PTSD
-genetics

I would be very interested to know where you got your info on the causes of an enlarged amygdala. I suspect childhood traumatic events which are in reality life long PTSD of a kind when not dealt with via some form of therapy, broadly speaking, religious faith for example.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Don't you ever wonder how folks can view the same situation so vastly different? Forget about who is right if that is determinable at all. But simply ask why two reasonably sentient people can have such differing views regarding the same thing.

Moonbeam postulates it is due to brain defect.... in one or both of the subjects (assuming just two subject type).

I view it much like... say the Cockoo bird. This bird lays its eggs in the nest of a host... usually the same kind of host bird whose nest it was hatched in... and it does this (probably) because some combination within its 'Y' chromosome has learned to do this over time.

I maintain the minds of folks have learned their behavior (views) too... While learning to avoid lions in the savanna we also learned other valuable attributes. Like when going off on a hunt the women folk were best left under the care of less masculine males... giving rise to homosexual behavior... a developed genetic condition which is enabled by not only the genetic combo but the environment the subject finds itself.
When faced with a subject.... say... well, anything.... that is the environment that fosters the genetic combo to rise and 'feel' a particular way toward it.

Moonster is not really Liberal. He's more a combo of things and depending on the topic. You'd be surprised!

So, when you and your opposite debate the same topic ask how can that be.

How can some view a God is as real as my typing and others reject that notion. Something makes that condition a reality and it ain't a brain defect... The brain was created to be that way by the instructions that created it... Different in structure to facilitate the evaluation differently.

I don't see it. Moonie is a two trick pony, he has his "self hate" track, and his "conservatives are inferior" track. Once in a while he combines the two.
I often find him entertaining, but almost never find anything he says in any way enlightening.
I've often found recovering addicts to have much the same thought process, they tend to latch on to an idea to the exclusion of all else. It doesn't make them bad people, but it does make them hard to reason with.
For whatever reason, Moonie desperately needs to prove there is something wrong with conservatives, nothing is going to sway him, nothing will change his mind, and his opinion is apparently valued enough that he's allowed to continue his antics. Perhaps it's that he adds to the hostile environment of P&N that we seem to so enjoy.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Moonbeam postulates it is due to brain defect.... in one or both of the subjects (assuming just two subject type).

I like to call it a brain defect because the science says that conservatives reject science, and science says they are the ones who reject reality and live in a bubble defensively rejecting truth because it hurts their ego, their feelings. Calling it a brain defect establishes the truth of that because they get all angry and defensive when they feel inferior for having a defect and they show they feel inferior when I say that by getting all angry and defensive. They sort of solipsistically affirm who they are Now it isn't a defect to reject reality if you need to climb a tree to escape a tiger but it is when you turn on the apes of your genus and call them liberal vermin.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I don't see it. Moonie is a two trick pony, he has his "self hate" track, and his "conservatives are inferior" track. Once in a while he combines the two.
I often find him entertaining, but almost never find anything he says in any way enlightening.
I've often found recovering addicts to have much the same thought process, they tend to latch on to an idea to the exclusion of all else. It doesn't make them bad people, but it does make them hard to reason with.
For whatever reason, Moonie desperately needs to prove there is something wrong with conservatives, nothing is going to sway him, nothing will change his mind, and his opinion is apparently valued enough that he's allowed to continue his antics. Perhaps it's that he adds to the hostile environment of P&N that we seem to so enjoy.

If the truth were not concealed by its immediate unlikelihood everybody would know what it is.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003

The introduction of mediation which alter the functioning of the mind process from how it was created are the 'tricks' used to bring about conformity to within some notion of well being, I'd think.

Assuming a population within a normal curve and excluding those who are more than say... a standard deviation from the norm are the folks who'd I'd like to think would be rather consistent on most all 'things'. I'd wager, their environment and the evolution within that environment is the only variable that ought to be in play given we evolved from a single source locale. I'd not expect an Iranian to glop on to the notion of democracy and I'd expect them to be satisfied with their lot in life. Likewise, I'd expect an American to be like any other American on most all topics.
Somewhere along the line we've developed a split in reasoning. And rather quickly it seems.

What puzzles me is the How of it all. How can a Mormon accept the Joseph Smith scenario and How can a Baptist, Jew, Muslim or Catholic even try to elect a person to the Presidency whoever may have those beliefs? (No offense meant)
Some would say that to believe in what Smith or that Scientology fellow propounds must be barking mad... (my grandmother's favorite saying).

I suppose when we've figured out what consciousness is and how it began we may figure out how we can see the same thing differently.

Regarding Moonbeam...
I suspect he has a similar dilemma.... How is it that we are so alike but so different while being sort of all hatched in the same nest.
What makes us react differently to similar stimuli? Some say fear... is the motivator for some stuff... but what creates the fear to greater extents among us... It must be our brain functioning mind... I think it is as basic as that. The brain mandates how the mind functions and how the brain is created dictates that... and that is genetics... Where did we split apart? We've only a 150,000 years of development to do it and it seems most of that time we were quite similar in our thinking and perhaps it is because it was not so complex... we had to eat and not be eaten... We may have evolved some aspects beyond our ability to deal with the complexity of today....

We are aliens among aliens and all from the same planet.

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012
I would be very interested to know where you got your info on the causes of an enlarged amygdala. I suspect childhood traumatic events which are in reality life long PTSD of a kind when not dealt with via some form of therapy, broadly speaking, religious faith for example.
Couldn't you just google it? These are all top google results:
depressed mothers
autism and the amygdala
The PTSD one goes both ways. Some of them say smaller amygdala as well.

People also lean conservative under the following conditions
-when drinking alcohol
-when distracted
-when put under time constraints
link

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
I like to call it a brain defect because the science says that conservatives reject science, and science says they are the ones who reject reality and live in a bubble defensively rejecting truth because it hurts their ego, their feelings. Calling it a brain defect establishes the truth of that because they get all angry and defensive when they feel inferior for having a defect and they show they feel inferior when I say that by getting all angry and defensive. They sort of solipsistically affirm who they are Now it isn't a defect to reject reality if you need to climb a tree to escape a tiger but it is when you turn on the apes of your genus and call them liberal vermin.

Science rejects religion but can't a God... Reality is what appears to the scientist as not falsifiable... up to this point in time. I maintain we were not 'programmed' to understand what is beyond our common sense let alone try to deal with it rationally.... Like Quantum Mechanics...
This stuff may be simply the brain has not provided the mind the tools to deal with seemingly simplistic cognition equally... I'd not expect a kid who grew up alone on an island with monkeys to have anything more than monkey behavior cuz we can adapt easily to that condition... get more complex and we start to recognize what 'feels' good and we latch on to it and defend our belief in it.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Couldn't you just google it? These are all top google results:
depressed mothers
autism and the amygdala
The PTSD one goes both ways. Some of them say smaller amygdala as well.

People also lean conservative under the following conditions
-when drinking alcohol
-when distracted
-when put under time constraints
link

Thank you, I could, but I wanted to know your sources because I found your post interesting. I assumed your source might be too if you weren't just speaking our of your general knowledge.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Troll threads sure do rake in the posts, that's for sure. It's like a hidden underground room with a trap door as innocent victims step on it and disappear until they can find a way out. I'm exiting via the sewer, dunno bout you guys.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Troll thread - check
Nothing to do with politics - check
Nothing to do with news - check
Thread still exists - check

The last item in my short list speaks volumes. I think it's important to remember that we don't have to post in Moonbeam threads. He's at times a vicious partisan, a clown, a head case, usually dictatorial and frequently manic when spewing his beliefs. He remains here and always will because he's in favor with someone somewhere within the chain of command. But, we don't have to reply to him.

Starve the beast.

This thread has NOTHING to do with Politics or News. It's an attack against those that do not share the viewpoints of the intolerant progressive that goes by the name of Moonbeam.

Last edited:

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
The introduction of mediation which alter the functioning of the mind process from how it was created are the 'tricks' used to bring about conformity to within some notion of well being, I'd think.

Assuming a population within a normal curve and excluding those who are more than say... a standard deviation from the norm are the folks who'd I'd like to think would be rather consistent on most all 'things'. I'd wager, their environment and the evolution within that environment is the only variable that ought to be in play given we evolved from a single source locale. I'd not expect an Iranian to glop on to the notion of democracy and I'd expect them to be satisfied with their lot in life. Likewise, I'd expect an American to be like any other American on most all topics.
Somewhere along the line we've developed a split in reasoning. And rather quickly it seems.

What puzzles me is the How of it all. How can a Mormon accept the Joseph Smith scenario and How can a Baptist, Jew, Muslim or Catholic even try to elect a person to the Presidency whoever may have those beliefs? (No offense meant)
Some would say that to believe in what Smith or that Scientology fellow propounds must be barking mad... (my grandmother's favorite saying).

I suppose when we've figured out what consciousness is and how it began we may figure out how we can see the same thing differently.

Regarding Moonbeam...
I suspect he has a similar dilemma.... How is it that we are so alike but so different while being sort of all hatched in the same nest.
What makes us react differently to similar stimuli? Some say fear... is the motivator for some stuff... but what creates the fear to greater extents among us... It must be our brain functioning mind... I think it is as basic as that. The brain mandates how the mind functions and how the brain is created dictates that... and that is genetics... Where did we split apart? We've only a 150,000 years of development to do it and it seems most of that time we were quite similar in our thinking and perhaps it is because it was not so complex... we had to eat and not be eaten... We may have evolved some aspects beyond our ability to deal with the complexity of today....

We are aliens among aliens and all from the same planet.

To me we are all the same.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
It is amazing what the liberal mind can come up with as an explanation for the craziness they see in the mirror

Liberals are on the way out now, it has peaked. Finally.

Better hurry liberals and push one last agenda before no one listens to you guys anymore :awe:

Any Ideology taken too far gets stupid. Democrats are at that point. Now its fun to just sit back and watch them contradict themselves /popcorn

Last edited:

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Don't confuse truth with opinion, that will lead to self hate.

You probably intend to be clever and mimic me as a way to insult, but when you do it in such a way as to demonstrate your utter lack of understanding you only wind up looking like a fool. Not to you, of course, but to anybody with understanding. It's like having all the symptoms of syphilis and claiming you only play with yourself.

Apr 27, 2012
Troll thread - check
Nothing to do with politics - check
Nothing to do with news - check
Thread still exists - check

The last item in my short list speaks volumes. I think it's important to remember that we don't have to post in Moonbeam threads. He's at times a vicious partisan, a clown, a head case, usually dictatorial and frequently manic when spewing his beliefs. He remains here and always will because he's in favor with someone somewhere within the chain of command. But, we don't have to reply to him.

Starve the beast.

This thread has NOTHING to do with Politics or News. It's an attack against those that do not share the viewpoints of the intolerant progressive that goes by the name of Moonbeam.

Agree, People need to ignore the idiots threads.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Clearly anyone who thinks differently than you must have a disorder or brain damage. How do you get away with all of these troll threads? Do you have compromising pictures of the mods?

My theory is that I tend to have a deflating effect on pompous assholes, read there conservative egotists, as the science explains, and that constantly reminding them of the delusional nature of the bubble they live in, wears on them. Unable to control their anger they run to Mommy, or try to, and it's troll they scream. Get rid of the troll they troll and troll and troll like a tintinnabulation of bells. If I weren't here somebody might actually take some of you clowns seriously. I don't think that would be such a good thing.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
To me we are all the same.

Within reason sure...

If an alien virus gets into a lung it might create a lung issue... if one gets into the brain it might create a brain issue...
That seems reasonable enough...

What I find most interesting in this thread is that some sit right in the middle of a poop pile to inform the flies that happen by that poop stinks...

I find it interesting how some feel compelled to state their opinion as if that opinion is axiomatic. It seems to be an opinion seeking to defend irrationality with a plea to rationality. I don't follow the desire to climb down from the tree to out run the Tiger and argue that move is rational.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
My theory is that I tend to have a deflating effect on pompous assholes, read there conservative egotists, as the science explains, and that constantly reminding them of the delusional nature of the bubble they live in, wears on them. Unable to control their anger they run to Mommy, or try to, and it's troll they scream. Get rid of the troll they troll and troll and troll like a tintinnabulation of bells. If I weren't here somebody might actually take some of you clowns seriously. I don't think that would be such a good thing.

no your just the troll that never gives up.

ps.

I doubt most if anyone takes you seriously. Your like the freak show no one admits to seeing.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
no your just the troll that never gives up.

ps.

I doubt most if anyone takes you seriously. Your like the freak show no one admits to seeing.

Assume you are quite normal and have a view on a variety of topics.... Now then... There exist folks whose view is totally opposite from yours... What might be the cause of that condition? What makes the folks who disagree with you maintain that position? They must be irrational, sick or something, right?

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
absolutely. I have no doubt that aliens are dope smoking low information liberals.