Could Huckabee break the Religious Right/Corporate America alliance?

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
I don't think Huck will be the nominee, but if he is, he is no Guiliani, Bush, etc.
Huck actually has some real life Christian values.
Which are antithetical to the values of Corporate America.
The Faustian bargain whereby the Religious Right lets Corporate America follow their economic redistribution to the rich, pressure to keep wages and benefits down, elimation of health and safety laws, etc and where the Religious Right gets candidates who are opposed to abortion, may be broken with Huck.
Huck is not a tax cuts at all costs, elimination of sevices at all costs, make government fail sort of guy.
Can Huck actually break the hold of Corporate America on the Religious Right, and vice versa?

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Huckabee's idea of a national sales tax is the most anti-Christian idea I have heard out of any other candidate's mouth. It does nothing but greatly decrease taxes on the rich, and greatly increases taxes on the poor.

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
Your over the top generalizations about the people you disagree with make your threads not worth responding to.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: bamacre
Huckabee's idea of a national sales tax is the most anti-Christian idea I have heard out of any other candidate's mouth. It does nothing but greatly decrease taxes on the rich, and greatly increases taxes on the poor.

Except it doesnt hurt the poor at all. And can be changed to not hurt the middle class.

What it would do is dramatically cut taxes and require spending cuts.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: techs
I don't think Huck will be the nominee, but if he is, he is no Guiliani, Bush, etc.
The Faustian bargain whereby the Religious Right lets Corporate America follow their economic redistribution to the rich, pressure to keep wages and benefits down, elimation of health and safety laws, etc and where the Religious Right gets candidates who are opposed to abortion, may be broken with Huck.
Huck is not a tax cuts at all costs, elimination of sevices at all costs, make government fail sort of guy.
Can Huck actually break the hold of Corporate America on the Religious Right, and vice versa?

The GOP needs both groups to be viable.

And Huck isnt anti-business, he supports doing away with the corporate income tax.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: Wreckem

Except it doesnt hurt the poor at all. And can be changed to not hurt the middle class.

Then we can be assured that it will never happen.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Wreckem

How in the hell could it NOT hurt the poor? :confused:

The poor are much more likely to live beyond their means, i.e., they spend more than they make, i.e., they would be taxed on money they haven't even earned yet. That's evil.

sunzt

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2003
No, he'll just include an alliance with Government and God.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
The religious right has been a must have for republicans since that fall of Nixon. And not enough successful examples yet to make any real generalities.

But so far Reagan and GWB had it, and GHB and Dole did not.

Yet, in the intervening three decades, the religious right has gotten not very much in political gains and their biggie of repealing Roe v Wade seems a closer than ever or something that could slip away again. So the stakes in 08 are high for the RR. But when it comes to corporate interests, those folks are not like the RR, if they don't get fed piggish portions, their current republirat is going to get the ax from them.

But my one comment is that some one like a GHB, a Dole, or a Huckabee are actual rational politicians who use a front line assault to win what they believe. In short, what we would call a straight shooter. What we see is what we get. And if you think they are an idiot, at least they are not a mislabeled idiot.

And the one dominant impression of I have of Reagan and GWB is all image and no substance. And even if they give the religious right precious little really delivered, by GOD, THEY JUST SEEM TO so why does it matter.

And in terms of image over lack of lack of substance on the Republican side, its Giuliani and Romney, neck and neck for first, Thompson is a sleeper, and Hunter does not register. And as I said before, for the RR, Huckabee and McCain are just too honest to have any religious appeal. You GASP might get what they say they are.

LtPage1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2004
Originally posted by: techs

There might be something to this if he were to be the next President. There's not a chance in hell that'll happen.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
No one in national government is anti-corporation. They actually understand our corporate structure is what keeps this country running.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Huckabee is part of the religious left, not right. He is conservative on social issues but is otherwise a liberal democrat (going by his record as governor anyway). He has raised taxes, is in favor of public education, has a carter-like view of foreign policy, and is for illegal immigrant benefits.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: QuantumPion
Huckabee is part of the religious left, not right. He is conservative on social issues but is otherwise a liberal democrat (going by his record as governor anyway). He has raised taxes, is in favor of public education, has a carter-like view of foreign policy, and is for illegal immigrant benefits.

Exactly. He's a populist, pure and simple.

If I wanted a candidate to raise taxes and help the poor I wouldn't be a republican.

I like the "religious left" angle. :)

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Let me get this straight. A southern baptist minister who travels around playing guitar and talking about us being "soldiers in God's Army" is going to break hold with the religious right? :roll:

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Mxylplyx
Your over the top generalizations about the people you disagree with make your threads not worth responding to.

Yep.

Plus, IMO he mischaracterizes it.

It's NOT Religious Right & Corporations.

It IS Religious Right and fiscal conservatives.

Two different things. And I thought it had been pretty well established that the corporate money was with the Dem's this cycle.

I expect the Huck to move to the right as far as taxes etc that matter to the fiscal conservatives. He's already got the RR/social conservatives, I would think it only natural that he move to get the fiscal conservatives ("FC") to his side.

Actually, I don't think the FC have any other choice. They sure as h3ll aren't gonna vote for any of the Dems IMO.

Fern