Could a bird fly to the ground safely after being dumped from a 30,000 ft (or higher) elevation?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

radiocore

Golden Member
Aug 25, 2000
crazy bats....i guess it is possible, just hard to believe that they could actually do something like that.:Q

Fingers

Platinum Member
Sep 4, 2000
how could they do that to bats? bats are mammals. does that mean they can do it with people? I'm not trying to disproove you but it sounds a little far fetched to me. where did you hear that from, do you have a website I could go to for mor info.

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Dude the Navy tried to teach dolphins to swim bombs into soviet submarines, the bats were an experiment too. Do a little research on the history of WWII and you will uncover the bat experiement. You know History textbooks and libraries have lots of that kind of info...

Fingers

Platinum Member
Sep 4, 2000
the part I doubt is the freezing part. I have never heard of anyone succesfully freezing a mammal and bringing it back to life. I have heard about use with dolphins and the navy still uses them to this day.

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
They didn't freeze them solid, they got them cold. Bats when exposed to low temps go into a hibernation that allows them to survive.

Fingers

Platinum Member
Sep 4, 2000
oh my bad, that makes sense to me now. all the while I was assuming they were batcicles.

ratkil

Platinum Member
Jan 12, 2000
Anybody ever hear the story about the Russians using dogs with explosives strapped to them to try and blow up German tanks? They trained them using Russian tanks, you can imagine the results, can you say "doh!"

Croton

Banned
Jan 18, 2000
dude this is the best post. :)
hehehehe

a little bit of science and comedy in one!

the bats thing is crazy!

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
<<30,000 ft, eh? That's a good distance. I'm willing to bet some of the birds that are natural soarers (raptors, etc.) could make it down; they get way the heck up there on their own anyway. But I'm no expert.>> Bold added.

Heard back from my naturalist friend. For some reason I found the bold part humerous, maybe it's just the phrase &quot;way the heck up there&quot;.

Zenmervolt

Cheapster

Dec 31, 2000
Great post, not only do we have computer geeks here but science ones too! I'm not knocking anybody, I fall into on those categories myself. I guess on my next commercial flight I'll have to give this one a try, just need to find somebody on the ground that can verify it. :D

I'm amazed by the information you can learn at this place.