Cougar Owners...

yos

Dec 3, 2000
I have been a 2000 Mercury Cougar owner for about a year now and I was wondering what people thought of them?? I know my opinion, but I would like to know what other owners and NON-owners think of them...

anyone?

-yos

warcleric

Banned
May 31, 2000
I prefer the full size T-bird like look better.

BTW: How do they run? I always figured they would be pretty snappy with a V6.

yos

Dec 3, 2000
They are pretty snappy.... thier niche is thier handling... like a champion... I have the V6 with the Sport package and the sunroof... pretty much everything except the leather seats...

Rent

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2000
Same engine as the Contour SE (2.5L Duratec V6). Puts out around 175hp. They're a bit sluggish in their class when comparing acceleration, but handling is top notch.

Biggest complaint I've heard about them is the 5spd gearbox seems reluctant. Cool thing is that you can do a port and polish on them just like the SVT Contour as well as alot of other aftermarket goodies that are available for it.

PG

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
Biggest complaint I've heard about them is the 5spd gearbox seems reluctant.

Very true. I had a 98 Mystique with the 5 speed. I had a h@ll of a time getting that thing into 1st gear at a stoplight when it was cold. Winter was a nightmare. Also, I did change the transmission fluid 3 different times, and I used full synthetic each time. I filled it exactly to the proper level each time as well. It just shifted like crap when cold, no matter what. It was OK though when it was fully warmed up. There used to be a good website about the Contour/Mystique/Cougar at contour.org.
Overall, I'd never buy one again. The amount of recalls was almost overwhelming. I think there were 6 in a year and a half. :frown:

Emulex

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
the cougar uses the SVT countour motor. Look at the websites you'll see they share the same motor. Lots of mods can be done to these to crank out some more power. Very peppy little cars (the v6). I was going to buy one actually a while ago. For the price (poor resale value) they are an awesome bargain. Those bubble headlamps are fugly, imo.

crab

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2001
I have a Cougar....but its the 1989 model, I love that car.
:)