Cotto Salami, What's your recipe?

uberman

Golden Member
Sep 15, 2006
Safeway had Oscar Mayer Cotto Salami on sale for $1.00 for 12 ounces. They sold out fast, but I got a raincheck for 10 packages.

I just turned in that raincheck and now I've got 8 pounds of the stuff for $10.00. It was great watching the register, $3.19 minus $2.19 ten times. I usually go through one package a month making sandwiches. But with this amount, I must be creative. Does anybody have any ideas?

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
i don't really like salami for some reason
there is hardly any meat i don't like, but for some reason, pimento loaf and salami and some of those type things don't appeal to me

jadinolf

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
I can't believe people eat that stuff. It's just scraps.

Not to be compared to REAL salami.

rgwalt

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2000
Originally posted by: jadinolf
I can't believe people eat that stuff. It's just scraps.

Not to be compared to REAL salami.

Good, real Italian salami is just AWESOME!

OP: Try recipes.com or foodtv.com and look up salami. I've had salami on pizza, in antipasta, on sandwiches, and in salami bread. However, the salami you have is more of a lunch meat type product and would be fairly greasy if you cooked it.

R

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
I prefer hard and Genoa to cotto, but for salami I like making strombolis. I use salami, capicola, pepperoni, provalone, mozz, romano, parmesan, a little chopped up pepperoncini and usually a little italian salad dressing. Comes out killer.

uberman

Golden Member
Sep 15, 2006
These are cheap cold cuts, no doubt, but a good value. Everyone likes a deal. I prefer the sopressetto I buy in New York's Little Italy, but we're geographically disconnected at this time. You can buy sopressetto in vacuum-sealed 3-ounce packages at Safeway for $5.00. That's too high.

uberman

Golden Member
Sep 15, 2006
Originally posted by: GagHalfrunt
I prefer hard and Genoa to cotto, but for salami I like making strombolis. I use salami, capicola, pepperoni, provalone, mozz, romano, parmesan, a little chopped up pepperoncini and usually a little italian salad dressing. Comes out killer.

You're making me hungry. I used to buy strombolis at a deli in Little Italy. They were good.

jadinolf

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: uberman
Originally posted by: GagHalfrunt

You're making me hungry. I used to buy strombolis at a deli in Little Italy. They were good.

I hate you......so jealous.

uberman

Golden Member
Sep 15, 2006
Thanks guys for the tips. I am googling "Cotto Salami Recipes." I'm coming up with stuff like this one:

"Cotto Salami Provolone Panini

Servings: 2 sandwiches

4 slices of Ecce Pani bread, roasted garlic flavor
olive oil to brush on bread
classico pesto
2 slices Provolone cheese
2 slices of cotto salami with peppercorns
baby beef steak tomato, sliced
spinach leaves

Preheat panini grill.

Brush each slice of bread with olive oil, spread a teaspoon of pesto on each slice of bread. Assemble sandwich salami first, cheese, slice of tomato and spinach.

Place on Panini grill. Cooks in about 4-7 minutes."

I've got fresh sour dough bread and a broiler, so I can mess around.