Costco: What's so great about it?

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
I hear everyone online talking about how great Costco is.

They are opening a store in Columbus, Ohio near the Polaris Mall and it opens Wednesday Nov. 29.

I am in the market for a ~42" LCD TV... and I hear they have an awesome guarentee on their TVs. What is it? I would rather buy a large purchse like this locally, instead of online.

The membership is $50 a year, but how much are renewals? (The same?)

How is Costco better than Sam's Club?

Thank you for your comments!

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
I dont know about comparing Costco and Sam's Club but if you have a large family, or if you jsut eat a lot, you can't beat teh deals Costco has. Also their electronics return policy is ... for the lack of a better word... amazing

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
The guarantee is that you can return any electronics item as long as you have the original receipt. Taking a TV back after 5 yrs just becuase you want a new one however, is unethical in my book.

I wouldnt get the membership *just* for the TV. You can always get a trial membership if you only plan on buying one item. But you can probably find a better deal on a similar or better TV at CC or BB or something.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
Cost $50 per year.

They have better quality food/meats/cloths/products IMO than Sams.

FWIW I just signed up a few weeks ago for Costco and had Sams membership for 3 years straight prior.

Audiotherapy

Apr 21, 2004
get ur roommate to split the cost of membership. the one near my house has a gas station, which is a few cents cheaper.

OVerLoRDI

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
Costco is awesome for buying large amounts of food. Example, going there every other month and buying huge amounts of food to feed your family. I don't know how they compare when it comes to buying TVs but I know they do have them.

Also if you want a free lunch swing by costco on Saturdays and Sundays, they have lots of sample stands where you can taste something they are selling :D

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003
With the problems that the XBox360 appears to be having, I'll probably be getting mine there just because of their return policy. :)

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: akshatp
The guarantee is that you can return any electronics item as long as you have the original receipt. Taking a TV back after 5 yrs just becuase you want a new one however, is unethical in my book.

Yeah, and people doing that is exactly why they're going to change their return policy on TVs at the beginning of the year.

dartworth

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: mugs

Yeah, and people doing that is exactly why they're going to change their return policy on TVs at the beginning of the year.

Is this just hearsay read on a internet forum, or is this from a Costco statement?

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Originally posted by: mugs
Originally posted by: akshatp

Link?