Cost of a new windshield?

DustyWusty

Banned
Nov 18, 2003
Hey guys I just bought a fixxer upper 89 firebird, windshield is cracked..bad

Any idea how much it would cost to get a whole new one put in? or should i look for a used one and have someone put it in?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: DustyWusty
Hey guys I just bought a fixxer upper 89 firebird, windshield is cracked..bad

Any idea how much it would cost to get a whole new one put in? or should i look for a used one and have someone put it in?

Mine cost nearly $200, IIRC.

88 Camaro. Should be the same piece of glass.

Hoober

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2001
Do you have a windshield writer on your insurance policy?

If not the cost depends on the windshield. Usually a couple of hundred bucks.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
If you live in FL and have comprehinsive insurance, it's free! :) And with no detriment to your insurance rates either :)

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
I have a 94 ranger with a cracked windshield and I priced it out at around 260 to get it replaced. There were couple glass places online that'll give you quotes.

KK

GalvanizedYankee

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2003
You might want to check with the Firebird or Camero forums. This is what I have heard at the local car swap-meets
and old car gatherings(small shows).

OEM is the best, even as vg used.

OER (replacement) not the best. Not always but generally scratch more easily and are not as optically pure.
OER windshields are made offshore, usually.

If this is a fixer upper. Buy the best used, a new seal, clean and paint the seal area while the glass is out
(if it needs it), then call a pro to come over and put it in :)

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
You can also find some shops that will sell you a "defect" OEM one. They're new but somehow got scratched in shipping and aren't sold as "new" anymore. Most of the time the blemish or blemishes are so slight you'll never notice them in daily use.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: rbloedow
If you live in FL and have comprehinsive insurance, it's free! :) And with no detriment to your insurance rates either :)
Not if he bought the car with the crack there. Can't buy a car with pre-existing defects and expect insurance to fix them.

ZV

PanzerIV

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2002
Windshield replacement places wanted about $200 to replace mine in my Pathfinder. It has no tint or anything special. They ask you that kinda stuff to make an estimate.

helloedchen

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2000
www.gideontech.com
usually around 200-300 for a decent replacement.

i actually had to do mine a few months back, but my insurance covered it. used SafeLite to do the replacing since Geico recommended it. The guy was pretty cool, didn't bother using aftermarket stuff for me, went and ordered OEM moldings and stuff. only downside was i had to wait an extra day, but worth the OEM parts.

PG

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
There are places online to get quotes, but I can't remeber the URLs now.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: blazert40
State of FL = Free so I've never had to pay.

Do windshields actually break that often in Florida?

Arizona and North Carolina are virtually all construction zones with dump trucks dropping projectiles all over the interstates.

<---Will be out 230 when I decide to replace my windshield

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Around $250 - $300 to get a brand new windshield professionally installed.

rufruf44

Platinum Member
May 8, 2001
Just find a reputable local glass shop, and you should be able to save $$$ rather than getting it from Safelite or any other name brand.

Feb 10, 2000
There's a huge variability, so call around. My insurance company paid $375 for a WS for my old '98 Accord, but later a friend told me she paid $150 installed for an OEM WS for the same car.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: blazert40
State of FL = Free so I've never had to pay.
Once again, NOT FREE if you buy the car with the windshield already broken, no matter where you are. Insurance does not cover pre-existing damage to the vehicle.

ZV

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Just don't get it done at one of those places that come to your car and install it. I've had two co-workers that got really crappy work done this way.

helloedchen

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2000
www.gideontech.com
Originally posted by: Nitemare
Just don't get it done at one of those places that come to your car and install it. I've had two co-workers that got really crappy work done this way.

actually, the one I used, SafeLite, comes to your location. I was lucky enough to get a tech that knew what the hell he was doing. It all depends on who does the job, i didn't even request OEM material, but the dude got it for me anyway. pretty good so far...