Cost in Electricity to cook a Turkey?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SsupernovaE

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2006
Originally posted by: mrSHEiK124
Originally posted by: SsupernovaE
Financial woes? Perhaps 50 of us could PayPal you 2¢ each to cover the electricity costs for a happy Turkey Day.

With fees I don't think 2 cents ends up netting the recipient anything :p

You're right. It's going to be a sad, sad Turkey Day for OP :brokenheart:

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
I measured the lunch I made at a friends house on his electric oven. It was 3 oncor lasagnas at 2 lbs each, 6 total lbs which would be a pretty small turkey. According to the meter on the side of the house, slightly less than 5 kwh were used during the 74 minutes for the entire house. At 8.83 cents per kwh, that comes to 44.15 cents. Since we were using other things like lights in the basement and a electric compressor, the cost to took was probably in the 10 cent range.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
If you're that concerned just yank your meter and put a pair of hacksaw blades (cut to length and polished) across the socket. Do it for the long weekend and quit cold turkey. :p

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
Probably 1$ of electricity for the entire meal. Since you are using the high powered units for only 5-6 hrs over the course of the month, the cost associated with running this is tiny compared to things that you leave on all the time, for example, a computer ($20 per month), or especially, the refrigerator (20-30$ per month).

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Tiamat
Probably 1$ of electricity for the entire meal. Since you are using the high powered units for only 5-6 hrs over the course of the month, the cost associated with running this is tiny compared to things that you leave on all the time, for example, a computer ($20 per month), or especially, the refrigerator (20-30$ per month).
:laugh:

Where did you pull those figures? :p

My fridge uses ~8$/mo, and my computer uses 10$/mo... 12$ including the LCD.

Computer draws an average of ~140W, fridge draws 225W when its on.

I guess if you had one of those big double door fridges, it might be more. ;)

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Rubycon
If you're that concerned just yank your meter and put a pair of hacksaw blades (cut to length and polished) across the socket. Do it for the long weekend and quit cold turkey. :p

God help us if he finds out how to screw with his power factor. :shocked:

ktehmok

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2001
Originally posted by: homestarmy
Hey all, I was wondering if you smart people might be interested in helping me figure out approximately how much it would cost to cook a turkey in an electric oven. I googled and can't seem to find an answer and I'm curious. I know that cooking things in the oven can take a hell of a lot of electricity.

First, we would need to make assumptions, such as the size of the turkey. I don't know off the top of my head what the standard size generally is, but if anyone can come up with a size, temperature and tell how long it would be cooked for, we would then need to figure out how much power it would pull to get the oven to that temperature.

At that point, we'd have the energy used from the electric company, and would just need to figure how much is spent per kWh which is easy to find.

Any help? Thaaaanks! :)

I have M-Power through the local electric utility here. It is basically pre-paid electric. You insert a card into a machine & prepay whatever amount you wish. It is great at helping you conserver power, believe me.

Last Thanksgiving Day, I had $2.80 of credit on my card at 6am (Not the greatest planning on my part, but whatever). I cooked an entire meal w/ entre's etc and didn't have to go refill the card until that evening.

Short story: it doesn't take that much.