Corsair releases Gold cert'd power supplies, incl. a 1200W unit, NOW TESTED AT JG!

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Corsair has shown at Computex its new lineup of Gold certifed power supplies, the Professional Series....a 750W, 850W and a 1200W. All are fully modular units, no hard wired connectors at all.

Legit Reviews photos of the guts of the 1200W unit:

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1320/4/

Corsair's webpage showing all three:

http://www.corsair.com/products/pow...tm_content=PSULink&utm_campaign=PSGold_launch

Testing is now complete at JonnyGuru...go read for some awesomeness!!!

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=189

Last edited:

FragKrag

May 27, 2010
I'm going to be eyeing that 750W unit :)

I was wondering why Newegg was out of stock of HX750s too. I wonder who the OEM is...

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
I'm going to be eyeing that 750W unit :)

I was wondering why Newegg was out of stock of HX750s too. I wonder who the OEM is...

The AX750 and AX850 are Seasonic based. The AX1200 is an unknown OEM....so far. At least Corsair's rep is being rather coy about the OEM.....but states it's a custom design and NOT from either Seasonic or CWT.

Last edited:

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Reading that review translated hurt my brain, anyways from what i can tell its great as long as your system uses 300w+ at idle. Because the efficiancy at anything below that was horrible, like really horrible. Also the 3.3V rail was a little weak by the looks of the voltage variation, was within specs but i would expect better for what im sure this thing is going to cost(im expecting $300+). Would work great in a tri or quadfire setup :)

Last edited by a moderator:

HOOfan 1

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2007

Stefan Payne

Dec 24, 2009
One of the problems with using a Chroma is it has to be properly set up for each test unit, something a lot of testers with Chromas don't do or ignore.
*facepalm*

And you think you don't need to do that with other active loads?!

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
*facepalm*

And you think you don't need to do that with other active loads?!

Go crawl back into your anti-Corsair hole. Thx, bye.

Oh, and you can quit hitting yourself in the face....it's not good for you....and it shows.

Stefan Payne

Dec 24, 2009
Why don't you just answer my question?
Or y do you think that it's special to setup the Chroma??

Anyway: the OEM of this 1.2kW Unit is Flextronic.

And the problems with the voltage regulations could be the price for a full modular (high watt) design...

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
was already considering one of the Seasonics but if the AX750 is just as good plus comes with one of the ever common Corsair rebates, I might have to switch.

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
Why don't you just answer my question?
Or y do you think that it's special to setup the Chroma??

Anyway: the OEM of this 1.2kW Unit is Flextronic.

And the problems with the voltage regulations could be the price for a full modular (high watt) design...

Doesn't seem to hurt fully modular designs from other premium vendors. And as for the Chroma issue, the manufacturer says you have to set up a Chroma between units. I'll admit that I don't know much about them, but if they say it's needed then it's a good bet that you should.

Have a link showing that Flextronic is building them?

Tell us, why are you so dead set against Corsair? Did their dingos eat your baby?

HOOfan 1

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2007
What's your first impression about what that could mean? I'm not as familiar with them.

Tough to tell...I've never seen a PSU from Flextronics before....design looks neat and pretty robust though....but you know what they say about judging books by their covers.

I am sure Corsair tested the design pretty carefully....they haven't sold any complete junk yet and their marketing is usually true to form....their budget units perform about as well as budget units can, and their premium units perform as well as just about any other premium unit on the market. They have decided to go with Flextronics for their absolute top premium unit, so I would say my first impression, is that it ought to be pretty darn good.

The proof will be in the pudding when I see reviews from OK Wolf at jonnyguru and Paul Johnson at HardOCP

Last edited:

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Doesn't seem to hurt fully modular designs from other premium vendors. And as for the Chroma issue, the manufacturer says you have to set up a Chroma between units. I'll admit that I don't know much about them, but if they say it's needed then it's a good bet that you should.

Have a link showing that Flextronic is building them?

Tell us, why are you so dead set against Corsair? Did their dingos eat your baby?

You just about have to ignore Payne. Never seen anyone so rabid an anti-Corsair fanatic as he is....from his point of view, esp. on JonnyGuru's forums, if it's not HEC/Cougar, it's crap, and this especially applies to Corsair. Makes one wonder if he gets paid for this attitude.

Why do you want a rather load and (under 20% load) rather inefficient PSU?

As for the efficiency "problem" you elude to, the 1200W unit won't be going into a computer that idles at 80W......well, you may try that, but that'd be just stupid. Guess if the shoe fits, though........

Anyway, high performance computers with multiple video cards, for which this power supply was created, will have idle draws over 200W, where it is over 90% efficient.

To compare this unit to a 400W unit, either in very low draw efficiency or sound generation at full draw, is just ludicrous. Well, as I said before, maybe not for you, but you have your own agenda......quite transparent, too.

Stefan Payne

Dec 24, 2009
design looks neat and pretty robust though....
I'd say it looks rather crowded not unlike CWTs bulky PUK design, so it could need a rather strong airflow due to the air resistance...
The proof will be in the pudding when I see reviews from OK Wolf at jonnyguru and Paul Johnson at HardOCP
Do you think they like it?!

What I've heard so far wasn't that good...

HOOfan 1

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2007
I'd say it looks rather crowded not unlike CWTs bulky PUK design, so it could need a rather strong airflow due to the air resistance...

How exactly do you extrapolate crowded=bad?

Look at the design of the Antec Signatures...
Look at the design of the Silverstone Zeus ZM1200

I guess you prefer the look of a nice sparse HEC design instead

Do you think they like it?!

What I've heard so far wasn't that good...

I've heard them say about 2 things about them so far
1) They have them to test
2) They are made by Flextroincs

how exactly can you interpret either of those things as bad?

Stefan Payne

Dec 24, 2009
How exactly do you extrapolate crowded=bad?
'cause you need more air pressure, due to the air resistance...
Wich results in more noise and less efficient cooling...

Look at the design of the Antec Signatures...
doesn't look that bad
OK, it's Delta, they know what they're doing...

I guess you prefer the look of a nice sparse HEC design instead
If they don't mess it up...

I've heard them say about 2 things about them so far
1) They have them to test
2) They are made by Flextroincs

how exactly can you interpret either of those things as bad?
I've heard someone complaining about noise, ripple and noise, heat and some other stuff...

Yellowbeard

Golden Member
Sep 9, 2003
'cause you need more air pressure, due to the air resistance...
Wich results in more noise and less efficient cooling...

doesn't look that bad
OK, it's Delta, they know what they're doing...

If they don't mess it up...

I've heard someone complaining about noise, ripple and noise, heat and some other stuff...

I guess it would be too much to ask to just wait for the reviews as opposed to pointless and unsubstantiated speculation?