Corsair One: small, watercooled, 7700K, 1080ti ... and $2,700

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I know I should just buy some parts to put in my Antec P280 for my 2017 gaming PC upgrade, but I find this very tempting:

Height: 380mm (14.9 inches), depth: 200mm (7.9 inches), width: 176mm (6.9 inches); 20 dB at idle.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11218/corsair-one-gaming-pc-released

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/03/corsair-one-review/

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/landing/one -- has exploded views and looks inside

The two lower-spec versions are also listed at Newegg, available April 7

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
Price is reasonable for what you get.
Shouldn't be a problem for any of us to open it up either.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
2700 is too much. I think $1400 to $1600 would be a more reasonable price.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
2700 is too much. I think $1400 to $1600 would be a more reasonable price.

Hmm, I think your estimate is a bit low:
- $600 i7, mini-ITX 270 mobo, 16 GB RAM
- $700 GTX 1080 ti
- $260 980 GB SSD
- $100 Windows
= $1,660 before adding the custom SFF case, SFX power supply, 2-radiator water cooling setup, plus assembly and testing

Azuma Hazuki

Golden Member
Jun 18, 2012
That still shouldn't come out to more than $2,100 or so, IMO. Let's say a $200 Silverstone chassis, $100 for some world-beating SFX PSU, and $150 for watercooling; not counting assembly as a cost (yes, I know, "time is money") that's well below 2.7 grand. Some of this has got to be margin--which is only fair, a company's employees have to eat after all.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
That still shouldn't come out to more than $2,100 or so, IMO. Let's say a $200 Silverstone chassis, $100 for some world-beating SFX PSU, and $150 for watercooling; not counting assembly as a cost (yes, I know, "time is money") that's well below 2.7 grand. Some of this has got to be margin--which is only fair, a company's employees have to eat after all.

Yes, ~$2,000 - 2,100 for a box of parts would be a reasonable price.

Since they only manufacture the case, PSU and SSD they probably don't make much on the rest of the parts. So they do need a markup on everything to cover design, labor, marketing, warranty and a decent profit.

imported_bman

Jul 29, 2007
This system looks good, but I can't believe they did not put a NVMe drive or give an option for 32GB of DDR4 3200 in the highest end version especially considering that Corsair makes/brands both of those things. Hope they expand the line up come the fall. This chassis with Skylake-X, 32GB or 64GB DDR4, and Corsair branded NVMe drive using Toshiba BiCS3 nand would be something.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
i think the prices you listed were on the high-end of retail; they are paying whole sale prices (to begin with) which are well below low-end retail prices; where are below the high-end retail prices you list. Yes warranty does cost money but that begs the question if they will cover the warranty of the parts (such as gpu) or expect you to deal with the actual manufact. To be honest Corsair is a decent company so will likely provide good warranty service (if needed). Still I think anything over $2000 is way too much and $1600-$1800 is actually where this box should be selling. I guess one last argument for a higher price point might be it is a limited item (low sales); and certainly at that price point sales will be very low.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
It comes with a 2-year full warranty. If you look at the design on their website, they are not using "low bidder" low end parts. And there isn't really a low-end GTX 1080 ti or i7-7700K that you can buy.

Anyway, I'll agree to disagree :) . Certainly the box of parts do-it-yourself cost should be around $2,000 not $2,700.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I look at it this way: you're paying the premium for the unique design, assembly, support... all those things that are hard to quantify but matter a lot. It'd normally be very hard to cram that kind of power into a desktop that small and quiet, so the Corsair One is sweet if you're looking for an unintrusive gaming rig and don't think most mini PC gaming cases cut it.

Reactions: Valantar

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
i think the prices you listed were on the high-end of retail; they are paying whole sale prices (to begin with) which are well below low-end retail prices; where are below the high-end retail prices you list. Yes warranty does cost money but that begs the question if they will cover the warranty of the parts (such as gpu) or expect you to deal with the actual manufact. To be honest Corsair is a decent company so will likely provide good warranty service (if needed). Still I think anything over $2000 is way too much and $1600-$1800 is actually where this box should be selling. I guess one last argument for a higher price point might be it is a limited item (low sales); and certainly at that price point sales will be very low.
e-tail margins on pricey components like CPUs and GPUs are usually in the region of 4-6% (at least here in Norway), due to intense competition. As such, the difference between wholesale and retail prices are near negligible. Most stores survive through vendor-specific deals, volume and margins on accessories (which is why humle SATA and USB cables always seem to cost shocking amounts, and it's far easier to find great deals on keyboards than CPUs). Nearly all sales, rebates and promotions are incentivised by suppliers and/or manufacturers, as those are the ones with any margins to speak of. Of course, nothing is stopping Corsair from getting deals like this for their parts - which I assume they have (unless they want to eat the entire R&D cost for this thing through negligible sales margins).

As for warranties, you buy a single product, a Corsair PC. You have no customer relation to, say, Intel (CPU) or MSI (GPU, mobo) from buying this. If Corsair tried to shift the warranties onto them, that would be a huge letdown.

When it comes to pricing, this thing is actually pretty reasonable. Most well-designed (truly) SFF cases retail at $200-300 (Ncase M1 and the like). As @DaveSimmons mentioned above, even for the highest-end version this is pretty reasonably priced. Two 240mm AIO pump-rad setups (even slim ones) is $200, though you can probably subtract $30 or so from only having one fan (though the ML fans are rather pricey). The Corsair SF450 and SF600 PSUs are $150 and $200 respectively on Newegg (@Azuma Hazuki ). From DaveSimmons' prices, that's ~$2000 before adding the case (with the SF450), and easily $2300 including the SF600 (arguably necessary to run a 1080Ti) and a case. $400 for assembly of a PC in this size and preformance class, R&D of not only the case but the entire cooling setup, custom short power cables, DP+HDMI extenders and a 2-year whole-product warranty? That's pretty decent. Not a bad markup at all. Not to mention: that includes not only Corsair's margins, but the distributors' and (r)etailers' margins as well.

If I had that kind of cash and was in the market for a whole PC, I wouldn't think twice about buying this. I'd probably want an m.2 SSD, but at least the motherboard has the slot for one, and it would probably drive the price past $3000, which makes for bad marketing.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
The prices you are quoting are not USA prices. For example I can get the SF600 for $120 from a reliable vendor. Likewise the I7-770K has been as low as $325 (mail order); however I would purchase it from micro-center for $315 (tax included) any day of the week. The M1 is a fine case but it is just about the most expensive case you can find. Anyway we can walk down the list of components but what's the point. If you are happy with the price point for the pre-built system then by all means go for it.

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
The prices you are quoting are not USA prices. For example I can get the SF600 for $120 from a reliable vendor. Likewise the I7-770K has been as low as $325 (mail order); however I would purchase it from micro-center for $315 (tax included) any day of the week. The M1 is a fine case but it is just about the most expensive case you can find. Anyway we can walk down the list of components but what's the point. If you are happy with the price point for the pre-built system then by all means go for it.
The prices were copied directly off of Newegg.com at the time of writing. I see now that at least the 450 is out of stock (and sold at a silly markup by some scalper, apparently). I can't explain Newegg's $200 price for the 600, but that's what they list it for. Oh well. Subtracting $50-100 doesn't make a world of difference for a $2000+ PC.

Also, from what I understand Microcenter only sells at retail, and has rather few locations? At least that's how they're always spoken of. Doesn't exactly make them representative of the general price level, even if they sound great if you live near one.

Now, I'm not at all arguing that this isn't more expensive than building a PC yourself. Heck, I've never, ever even come close to buying a pre-built PC. For that, I've been too picky and too limited by my budget. Not to mention I find the idea of chucking out usable hardware by not upgrading rather silly. I'm just saying that this isn't horrible value for what you're getting.

Oh, and the Ncase M1 really isn't expensive for what you're getting: a highly optimized ultra-SFF case made by a small manufacturer that manages to fit high-end hardware in a smaller chassis than pretty much everything else. Considering that no high-volume manufacturers have stepped up to the plate with a competitor, it's apparently a good deal (the market is clearly there, so either R&D costs are too high to make this cheap even at medium volumes, or most brands aren't comfortable competing at this price level). For comparison, the Dan A4 is £250, so roughly equal. The Silverstone FT03 Mini is roughly comparable to the M1in volume and a lot cheaper, but far less flexible in terms of layout and cooling (the M1 can fit a 240mm radiator, after all).

And lastly: The M1 isn't even close to the most expensive case you can find.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Yes, Microcenter only sells CPUs in-store at cost, to get people into the store and sell them $20 USB cables.