Corsair H50 CPU Liquid Cooler -- $29

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Wow... no rebate and available for shipping too. Granted, it's not a H60 or better yet a Kuhler, but that's a nice price if you have a Frys you can walk into.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Wonder if can mod this into a decent heatsink compared to massive air coolers I been using. Like to use such big cooler if fan fails it will be ok. Not sure if pump fails what happens with closed loop h50

BenJeremy

Oct 31, 2004
Wow... so tempted. I already have a Corsair liquid cooler on my main system, love how quiet my computer room is these days, as well as how stable my system is - but I can't justify buying it just to put it on the shelf for a future system.

BenJeremy

Oct 31, 2004
Is this thing any better than a quality air cooler?

Big affirmative.

The only issue with these is some particular models have had a bad reputation in the past for leaking (usually around the L-joints). Always check feedback on sites like NewEgg before selecting a model.

As for cooling, air coolers will NEVER work as well as these. I ran a Hyper 212 two systems ago, and it never cooled as well as the liquid coolers.

To put it another way, I never ever have to worry about my CPU temps these days (never gets above half of the highest 'safe' temp), while my Hyper 212 still allowed my CPU temps to crawl dangerously high under heavy usage.

krnmastersgt

Platinum Member
Jan 10, 2008
Big affirmative.

The only issue with these is some particular models have had a bad reputation in the past for leaking (usually around the L-joints). Always check feedback on sites like NewEgg before selecting a model.

As for cooling, air coolers will NEVER work as well as these. I ran a Hyper 212 two systems ago, and it never cooled as well as the liquid coolers.

To put it another way, I never ever have to worry about my CPU temps these days (never gets above half of the highest 'safe' temp), while my Hyper 212 still allowed my CPU temps to crawl dangerously high under heavy usage.

Err for the most part the general consensus I've seen around the internet is that anything short of the H80 from Corsair, as far as the AIO water coolers go, are only barely comparable to the decent air coolers.

Also your comparison of your Hyper 212+ to your current AIO cooler that you fail to mention has a big flaw in my eyes. You're comparing 2 systems ago to now, but that means you're likely running something very different now. And the general trend with CPU temps with newer models is lower power and for the most part less heat generated.

Also CPU's going to 60-70C full load isn't something I'd consider dangerous, but that's what I think you're defining as dangerously high. To each their own I suppose.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Thnx for the post and I figured that too.. when he said better than Core contact cooler like the hyper 212 in was shocked and wanted one but sadly not even close to same except in price :)

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Nice deal, my H50 keeps my 2500k cooled at 4.5. No leaks... few years old at this point. No signs of slowing down!

Makes me wonder what the h100 and other $100+ models are for.

AkumaX

Lifer
Apr 20, 2000
Big affirmative.

did you run your hyper212+ w/ push/pull + exhaust?

here's mine

sXsVGBm.jpg

i'd consider getting the H50, if it is much better :D

mvitkun

Jan 22, 2013
hey krnmastersgt,could you upload a pic of your pc?wanted to get the hyper 212 +/evo but not sure if the tz77a has enough clearance between the 1st pcie slot and the end of the hyper 212 heatsink went it's mounted vertically.sorry for hijacking this thread,would pm but can't prior to 25 posts.
-sincerely mike

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
I ran a Hyper 212 two systems ago, and it never cooled as well as the liquid coolers.

Err for the most part the general consensus I've seen around the internet is that anything short of the H80 from Corsair, as far as the AIO water coolers go, are only barely comparable to the decent air coolers.

Also your comparison of your Hyper 212+ to your current AIO cooler that you fail to mention has a big flaw in my eyes. You're comparing 2 systems ago to now, but that means you're likely running something very different now. And the general trend with CPU temps with newer models is lower power and for the most part less heat generated.

Also CPU's going to 60-70C full load isn't something I'd consider dangerous, but that's what I think you're defining as dangerously high. To each their own I suppose.

did you run your hyper212+ w/ push/pull + exhaust?

here's mine

http://i.imgur.com/sXsVGBm.jpg

i'd consider getting the H50, if it is much better :D

That's awful presumptuous to assume he was using a Hyper 212+ (Plus). Two systems ago he was more likely to be using a Hyper 212 (non-Plus), which obviously isn't as good as the Hyper 212+, so he is probably correct that the H50 is better. The 212+, though, is every bit as good as as the H50 (AMD/Intel), minus the risk of water damage.

That said, for this price I'd be tempted to try the H50.

Sleepingforest

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2012
The cooler is supposed to be very quiet, and at this price, definitely worthwhile.
However, I would hesitate to say any premade loop (Corsair, NXZT, or otherwise) is superior to any and all air cooling.

This Tom's Hardware article shows that, surprisingly, the Noctua NH-D14 is not only quieter than all the competition but barely warmer (5° Celcius) than the best performing H100i Corsair cooler at around 1250 RPM (significantly slower than any other cooler tested), while costing less.