Corsair 520HX PSU Enough for new system?

napes22

Aug 15, 2006
I'm looking to upgrade current built to an Intel Quad Core (or i7 setup). I'd be replacing most parts of my system excluding the Vid Card (HIS 4850 - recently upgraded), Sound Card, and Raptor HD (150G).

If I wanted to move up to an i7 with DDR3 RAM would I need a higher wattage PSU? What about a Quad Core system?

dmh1167

Apr 22, 2009
Hi all :) yep your choice in psu will work but when I purchase a psu I look a bit to the future I upgrade alot and the last thing I want to do is buy several psu's due to adding a vid card or a drive ect , so I get me some head room there are great reviews on this site for psu's if you go with an i7 then you will be using an x58 chipset that supports multi gpu's todays gpu is a hungry beast espicially nvidia cards.

If you want to get by or are strapped for cash your choice is a good one if you are stepping up and upgrade alot or try new stuff dump the cash in a great power supply first, I stepped up from a thermaltake 700w toughpower modular to a corsair 1000hx corsair runs my gtx295, 5 120mm led case fans, 200 mm case fan on my antec 1200 case, 4gb corsair 8500 c5df, q9550 intel cpu, zalman 9700 cooler, 5 sata drives 4 hard and dvd combo, ht omega audio, ASUS Maximus II that Im going to put a bullit in as soon as Ive got the cash for I7.

Good Luck hope this helped.

magreen

Golden Member
Dec 27, 2006
Originally posted by: dmh1167
Hi all :) yep your choice in psu will work but when I purchase a psu I look a bit to the future I upgrade alot and the last thing I want to do is buy several psu's due to adding a vid card or a drive ect , so I get me some head room there are great reviews on this site for psu's if you go with an i7 then you will be using an x58 chipset that supports multi gpu's todays gpu is a hungry beast espicially nvidia cards.

If you want to get by or are strapped for cash your choice is a good one if you are stepping up and upgrade alot or try new stuff dump the cash in a great power supply first, I stepped up from a thermaltake 700w toughpower modular to a corsair 1000hx corsair runs my gtx295, 5 120mm led case fans, 200 mm case fan on my antec 1200 case, 4gb corsair 8500 c5df, q9550 intel cpu, zalman 9700 cooler, 5 sata drives 4 hard and dvd combo, ht omega audio, ASUS Maximus II that Im going to put a bullit in as soon as Ive got the cash for I7.

Good Luck hope this helped.

Welcome to the forums, dmh1167.
A couple points about what you posted:

1. OP is not buying a new power supply. He already has a 520HX and wants to know if he can keep it. He's not asking whether to buy a 520HX or "look more to the future".

2. I'm glad you feel good about your corsair 1000hx. But it's totally unnecessary to run your current setup with one gtx295, and I think you're misleading people to tell them they should do likewise, just because it floats your boat.

CrimsonWolf

Oct 28, 2000
OP, you're certainly good with your HX520. It's a little beast.

Mine runs a Core i7 920, 6GB ram, ATI 3870, a 300GB Velociraptor, and 2x other hard drives, plus a bunch of fans. The CPU is always under load for distributed computing, even when playing games. It doesn't break a sweat.

Corsair makes good stuff. Yellowbeard, have a :beer:

Yellowbeard

Golden Member
Sep 9, 2003
Originally posted by: CrimsonWolf

Mine runs a Core i7 920, 6GB ram, ATI 3870, a 300GB Velociraptor, and 2x other hard drives, plus a bunch of fans. The CPU is always under load for distributed computing, even when playing games. It doesn't break a sweat.

Thank you kind sir. Pirating is thirsty work :beer:

napes22

Aug 15, 2006
Thanks everyone for your responses. It's good to hear I won't have to replace every part of my system :D

HOOfan 1

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2007
Originally posted by: Yellowbeard

You been working from Somalia or Sweden recently? ;)

Yellowbeard

Golden Member
Sep 9, 2003
Originally posted by: HOOfan 1
Originally posted by: Yellowbeard

You been working from Somalia or Sweden recently? ;)

Nah, those guys have been giving us honest pirates a bad name and making life hard. I'll stick to wenching and boozing. It's much safer unless you run across a jealous husband.

dmh1167

Apr 22, 2009
thanks for the welcome magreen it is not my intent to mislead anyone second it is important not to accuse folks one doesnt know third I use larger power supplys so I wont have to go after one for awhile like I had to after ordering a 285 gtx that locked up and crashed my system with the 700w toughpower due to too little juce underload and boy did those caps scream due to lack of clean power.

And seeing a bit of a conflict of opinnion and not taking into consideration capacitor aging with possible loss of 10% per year ect there is a better way to go about this newegg corsair and others have wattage calculators neweggs is unbiased as far as I can tell it takes into account your fans cpu overclocking ect. Second I didnt say buy this or that napes brought up upgrading to i7. Oh and no matter what calculator I use 750w is the minimum for my rig and Im going x58 core i7, 2 295 gtx, so yep I went the right way for me.

magreen

Golden Member
Dec 27, 2006
Wait, you have two 295's or one? Your first post sounded like you have one.

Yellowbeard

Golden Member
Sep 9, 2003
Originally posted by: dmh1167
thanks for the welcome magreen it is not my intent to mislead anyone second it is important not to accuse folks one doesnt know third I use larger power supplys so I wont have to go after one for awhile like I had to after ordering a 285 gtx that locked up and crashed my system with the 700w toughpower due to too little juce underload and boy did those caps scream due to lack of clean power.

And seeing a bit of a conflict of opinnion and not taking into consideration capacitor aging with possible loss of 10% per year ect there is a better way to go about this newegg corsair and others have wattage calculators neweggs is unbiased as far as I can tell it takes into account your fans cpu overclocking ect. Second I didnt say buy this or that napes brought up upgrading to i7. Oh and no matter what calculator I use 750w is the minimum for my rig and Im going x58 core i7, 2 295 gtx, so yep I went the right way for me.

Sounds logical to me.

Cookie Monster

Diamond Member
May 7, 2005
It should be fine. I have owned the corsair HX520 for a long time now, and my rigs gone under several upgrades with the recent spec of the rig on my sig.

gramboh

Platinum Member
May 3, 2003
Should be fine, I'm running a 520 with a 65nm quad core overclocked with upped CPU/Northbridge voltage, 4 DIMMs, GTX280 overclocked, 4 hard drives, DVDRW, 3 case fans + 120mm CPU fan, sound card etc.

When I built the system in April 2007 it was a dual core E6600 with 2 DIMMs and an 8800GTS. I was worried when I upgraded to the Q6700 and GTX280 last summer but no problems so far.

jandlecack

Apr 25, 2009
Running something as powerful as a dual chip GTX295 will peak load at around 400W +-50W depending on other equipment. Take that as reference.

The Wattage craze is a bunch of overblown garbage and unnecessary unless you plan on running Quad-SLI or CrossfireX. Not even the most overclocked system will require 600W at peak with 1 or even 2 top end graphics cards.