Correlizer crunching?

wayliff

Lifer
Nov 28, 2002
Hola everyone,

I just visited the milestones thread and noticed we've reached 12.5M! Congrats to TA!

I realize there's heavy focus on WCG right now but wanted to ask if there are plans, from the Team Commanders or anyone, to try and grab the first to 100M milestone with that project.

Reason being that SETI.USA is currently outproducing TA by around 400k ppd. Our output is ~150ppd and SETI.USA is ~550ppd.

We still have a reasonable lead of 1.9M points over them but this will go away pretty soon at the current pace.

I was focused on WCG for some milestones of my own but I have now moved everything back to Correlizer to try to help with the disparity. My 18 cores will help but are really a miniscule force vs what their star user is crunching with right now.

Anyway, I wanted to put this out there for consideration...if nothing else then just awareness.

:)
Thanks

Edit: If there are plans to do a correlizer run later with heavy crunchers, I'll move back to WCG until the Correlizer push starts. If not, I am going to help for some weeks and then come back to WCG.

Edit: Wow - serious correction here. I must have been reading the wrong column. The outputs I posted above are wrong.
The current SETI.USA average is ~200k and TA average is ~59k. Difference between teams is ~3.8M. Apologies for the really bad numbers...

Last edited:

somethingsketchy

Golden Member
Nov 25, 2008
I'm personally working on Correlizer with a majority of my stuff (including one HPCS VM). However since we are working (as a team :thumbsup:) I do have a second HPCS VM that is doing nothing but WCG (all projects).

Since the weekly stats haven't been available in sometime, I can't tell if it's doing very well...or very poorly.

Uppsala9496

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 2001
I've been focusing my 29 cores on WCG, but put it on hold during the current SIMAP run (next 7 days).
I have no problems putting them on correlizer. Right now I'm focusing on whatever project the consensus is going after.

wayliff

Lifer
Nov 28, 2002
I think the general consensus right now is to crunch WCG.
I am trying to get a feel for future Correlizer plans from the team and leaders.

I am not particularly attached to Correlizer but I saw how the Team wanted to reach the first to 10M milestone, and put the TA name on the records, so trying to get a feel for the next one and if there's interest.

somethingsketchy

Golden Member
Nov 25, 2008
I'm not too attached to Correlizer myself, however to keep us in the top spot, I'm throwing most of my resources at it. With SETI.USA steadily eating away our lead, it's the least I can do.

geecee

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2003
I don't have quite as many full time cores as you, just 10, and 2 of them are older, slower cores (but w/HT though). For the last few months, I've had 8 cores split 67/33 on WCG and correlizer, and the old cores are on a mix of BOINC projects. My GPU is folding. I figure I will never really be on the leaderboard anywhere, so I just try to help the team a little bit everywhere. :)

I generally change these allocations based on what I see posted here in the forum, or if there is a race (when I generally can bring up to another 10-12 cores into the mix). So if I see something here in DC, I adjust accordingly.

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
You are doing very good, geecee!
I myself am running WCG just now but I am keeping an eye on correlizer.
It surprises me somewhat that we have managed to keep the #1 spot for such a long time.
When the distance between #1 (us) and #2 drops to less than 2 million credits, I'll add my full set of cores to the fray ... :)

wayliff

Lifer
Nov 28, 2002
LOL! I re-read my initial post and all my numbers were wrong...I don't know what I was looking at or smoking at the moment...:sneaky:

I added an edit to clarify that info...sorry.

wayliff

Lifer
Nov 28, 2002
You are doing very good, geecee!
I myself am running WCG just now but I am keeping an eye on correlizer.
It surprises me somewhat that we have managed to keep the #1 spot for such a long time.
When the distance between #1 (us) and #2 drops to less than 2 million credits, I'll add my full set of cores to the fray ... :)

That sounds like a good plan...I am following your steps on this one. :thumbsup:

ZipSpeed

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2007
Indeed, every core counts! I even have my old laptop sporting a 2.13 GHz Pentium M running WCG. As for Correlizer, once we break into the top 100 into WCG, I can reallocate my AMD rigs onto the project if there's interest in furthering our lead. My Intel rigs should be able to keep us in the Top 100 in WCG.

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
I ran Correlizer for a while, but roughly 90% of my work units got errors near 100% (so wasting a LOT of time) for no apparent reason so I suspended the project. I may enable it again to see if it behaves now..

wayliff

Lifer
Nov 28, 2002
seems like the supply of WUs is starting to get low for Correlizer standards...
I think it was 100K+ on June 4th and now it is around 15k.
I have changed my buffer from 1 to 2 days.

What do you guys usually set it to for this project?

wayliff

Lifer
Nov 28, 2002
correlizer just ran out of WUs...
at least at this moment there's only 1 available.

somethingsketchy

Golden Member
Nov 25, 2008
seems like the supply of WUs is starting to get low for Correlizer standards...
I think it was 100K+ on June 4th and now it is around 15k.
I have changed my buffer from 1 to 2 days.

What do you guys usually set it to for this project?

I think mine are still set for 0.01 unfortunately. I'll have to adjust it to two days, as you mentioned.