Correct way to install new Video card and driver?

ezdriver

Jul 12, 2000
I'm gonna upgrade my current Geforce card to a Geforce 4 and want to make sure I do it the right way. This is on WinXP. Correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a long time since I did this:

1. Delete current card from Device Manager and shut down the computer.
2. Install new card and reboot.
3. When card is detected, direct the install to the nVidia 30.82's already installed.
4. Select Geforce card type from driver install and let it install for that particular card.
5. Reboot.

Anything wrong with this? Thanks.

ez

CurtCold

Golden Member
Aug 15, 2002
The reason to perform the uninstall in safe mode is because when you go into safe mode, Windows doesn't load any drivers except the most basic ones needed for minimal operating system functionality (USB, generic motherboard, etc). Full video card support is unnecessary in safe mode so Windows only loads a generic VGA driver.

This means you can uninstall NVIDIA drivers via the control panel add/remove programs and the uninstall will safely remove all files used by the video card.

When you reboot into regular mode, Windows will try to load a driver. Just ignore whatever it does, wait for the icon to disappear from the system tray then install your downloaded driver. You shouldn't need to reboot, just run Refresh Force, change your display to 32-bit color and your desired resolution and you should be good to go.

Found this over at nvnews.net.

Sounds like you pretty much got it right, might have be better with safe mode though, just to be sure you don't have any driver errors. :)