Corporations are bigger thieves than your average bank robber/car jacker/etc

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Look at Wisconsin and it's 3 billion tax break to Fox Conn. Same deal.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Why would anyone in the corporation go to jail? It said Chicago has offered to let Amazon keep $1.3 billion in income taxes paid by its workers. Chicago offered. OFFERED. How is that corporate theft?

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
White collar welfare is the term the OP is searching form.

It's not even welfare. It's not like the government is taking wages from the poor and giving it to the corporations they work for. It's quite literally theft of wages by the corporations which is illegal, but there's no meaningful punishment for it. I guess i should just start a company and short my employees their wages rather than rob a bank. Not like i'd go to jail.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
You need to re-read that tweet. They aren't stealing wages. They are siphoning income taxes and re-appropriating them back to the company as a tax break instead of going to the state for schools and other state infrastructure needs. That's exactly what welfare is. Taking taxes from person a and redistributing them to person b.

Last edited:

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Why would anyone in the corporation go to jail? It said Chicago has offered to let Amazon keep $1.3 billion in income taxes paid by its workers. Chicago offered. OFFERED. How is that corporate theft?

Corporations use their money to influence politicians who then give them billions in corporate welfare.

You're right, jail is not appropriate.

194327-004-60511886.jpg

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Corporate welfare is completely out of control. It'd be nice if once we get a sane federal government they could put an end to it. Just add a tax that any credits, waivers, etc on state/local taxes are taxed at the federal level at 100%.

I know there would still be games and loopholes, but that would be the easiest way to end a lot it.

A similar thing happened to me in Ohio, a city waived all taxes for my company to build a new complex 5 miles from their current complex. Then the city passed an income tax to pay for it.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
You have a very broad definition of thievery.
By your logic slaughtering a calf is "murder".
Meanwhile Republicans call federal taxes theft all the time, even though they go towards things taxes are supposed to go towards. These taxes, however, go straight into a corporate bank account. People agree to taxes to provide for general welfare, not for a offuscated pay cut.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
It's not even welfare. It's not like the government is taking wages from the poor and giving it to the corporations they work for. It's quite literally theft of wages by the corporations which is illegal, but there's no meaningful punishment for it. I guess i should just start a company and short my employees their wages rather than rob a bank. Not like i'd go to jail.
If you got time it's even easier. Set up a pension and when it's time to pay, declare bankruptcy.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Yep.

Remember guys, it's those greedy educators and people wanting affordable healthcare that are the problem. These poor corporations having their religious feels jeopardized by voters, having to stash cash in offshore accounts, it's just brutal.