Corporate Taxation Tied to Burden

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Should corporation's tax be raised by an amount equal to its employee burden?

• Yes, but the corporate executives should bear some of the cost.

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Which was obviously true for serfs in the middle ages, as well, huh?

Do we live in the middle ages? Is it relevant? No.

Perhaps you're rather intentionally overlooking the power differentials involved in modern corporate employment. Most Americans aren't Rich- they can't live off their investments, so they have to work. For the vast majority, that means working for somebody else, simply because they have no capital. In that, employers call the tune, particularly when un and under employment are rampant.

You're completely ignoring competition among employers for talent. 95% of people get paid more than min wage anyway, because employers have to compete for the talent pool. If that wasn't the case, why not just pay min wage to all? Because of supply and demand.

Regardless, that has nothing to do with the loony idea in the OP. The "burden" posed by the employee is not the result of the employers actions, it is the result of a bunch of other things. Is it the employers fault if an employee has 5 kids to raise and can't make enough to do so, and thus ends up getting assistance? It's sheer stupidity, you'd just end up punishing employers in industries that tend to have lower wages, which would result in ... you guessed it, fewer jobs and an even bigger burden on society.

mrjminer

Platinum Member
Dec 2, 2005
If you increase minimum wage then you are punishing all business rather than those that are creating a public burden.

I think it's silly to go off of the same minimum wages for multiple years while the purchasing power of the dollar is decreased by inflation. Basically, I think the current way minimum wages are handled undermines the purpose of having a minimum wage. I don't see it as increasing the burden on businesses, since businesses typically raise their prices, or cut costs, to account for inflation already. I see it as correctly implementing something that is currently implemented in a broken manner.

Your concern is one of the reasons that I think it should be coupled with sweeping changes to public assistance, though. Both minimum wage and public assistance are tied in with pretty much every aspect of the economy. There are way too many things to list, and way too many factors for me to be able to account for with my time and limited specific knowledge of economics. The ultimate goal, though, would be to remove the ability of businesses to burden the public, increase business competition by actually having different incentives across business (I don't see how with current implementation of public assistance programs where it really makes a difference if someone, for example, works at McDonald's or Burger King if they are both paying minimum wage), increase the employee incentive to work toward something better, leave the burden entirely on taxpayers where it rightfully belongs (as businesses have no ability to vote), and decrease the overall burden on the public through changes to public assistance (such as changing free money from welfare to working on public projects for money) by implementing tangible returns from the investment in people's lives.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Regardless, that has nothing to do with the loony idea in the OP. The "burden" posed by the employee is not the result of the employers actions, it is the result of a bunch of other things. Is it the employers fault if an employee has 5 kids to raise and can't make enough to do so, and thus ends up getting assistance? It's sheer stupidity, you'd just end up punishing employers in industries that tend to have lower wages, which would result in ... you guessed it, fewer jobs and an even bigger burden on society.

Its pretty unlikely for a robot to have 5 bastard children.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
The fact that such a horrible company that puts out such horrible shit tasting dogmeat crap products can make $5 billion a year off the dumbed down masses of bloated stupefied totally braindead zombie hordes speaks to the total disfunction of society. Clearly it is so far gone that there is no point in jiggering with taxes. Seriously, you can go to Culver's right down the street and pay less for a burger that is miles beyond mcdonalds in every measurable category. McCrap literally tastes like dogmeat compared to that. More money from the sale of each burger goes to frickin wall street than it does to the frickin farmer who sells McEvil their frickin McJoke patties. Who in their right frickin mind can possibly support such a disgustingly perverted sickening paradigm? How can anybody possibly be ok with that? It is just so.... gross... to even think about it that way. To know that I'm surrounded by people who are so goddam stupid that they actually feed money into such a disgusting racket. Even Wendy's is better, and Wendy's spends way more on their meat compared to how much gets shoveled off to wall street.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
The fact that such a horrible company that puts out such horrible shit tasting dogmeat crap products can make $5 billion a year off the dumbed down masses of bloated stupefied totally braindead zombie hordes speaks to the total disfunction of society. Clearly it is so far gone that there is no point in jiggering with taxes. Seriously, you can go to Culver's right down the street and pay less for a burger that is miles beyond mcdonalds in every measurable category. McCrap literally tastes like dogmeat compared to that. More money from the sale of each burger goes to frickin wall street than it does to the frickin farmer who sells McEvil their frickin McJoke patties. Who in their right frickin mind can possibly support such a disgustingly perverted sickening paradigm? How can anybody possibly be ok with that? It is just so.... gross... to even think about it that way. To know that I'm surrounded by people who are so goddam stupid that they actually feed money into such a disgusting racket. Even Wendy's is better, and Wendy's spends way more on their meat compared to how much gets shoveled off to wall street.

Why doe it matter how much wallstreet makes on a burger?

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
Why haven't we just killed all the poor people yet.. I mean jeeeeeesus they are such a burden!!! I mean gosh, that 20yo full time college student who's just trying to make some cash is really costing me a lot of tax money! RaaaaaHHHHhhHh!!

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Rather than go into some long diatribe, I'll make it short and sweet. Should a corporation's tax rate be increased by the tax burden its employment base creates?

Example, McDonald's earned $5.586B USD for 2013. It's employees cost taxpayers 1.2B in public assistance. Should McDonald's tax on its profits be increased by the $1.2B its employees cost the system?

Do we live in the middle ages? Is it relevant? No.

You're completely ignoring competition among employers for talent. 95% of people get paid more than min wage anyway, because employers have to compete for the talent pool. If that wasn't the case, why not just pay min wage to all? Because of supply and demand.

Not that I necessarily agree with the OP, but I strongly disagree with your judgmental contrivances as to the character of low wage workers along with your callous attitude towards America's children. Perhaps you'd be more comfortable in the People's Republic of China and their one child policy.

Things change. Young families doing fine in 2007 are still scrambling to catch up after being fucked half to death by the corporate lootocracy in 2008. Many never will, definitely if your holier than thou point of view prevails.

Yeh, but that societal fuckover was great for the financial elite, the culmination (so far) of 35 years of trickle down Reaganomics, and they're doing better than ever, hoarding both liquidity & assets at an explosive rate of increase.

Scared of being poor? So am I. OTOH, I'm confident it's not the poor dragging us down, but rather greed at the top pushing us all down to that level. Poor people are the victims of an economic system that increasing serves only the wealthy few. And you've been indoctrinated to believe in it, to adulate & emulate the perps, to see them as righteous role models for you & your children. How wonderful.