Corporate America Patents Life, small Canadian Farmer says NO

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
1-20-2004 Small Canadian Farmer Fights Monsanto

Agribusiness giant Monsanto Co. sued the farmer, Percy Schmeiser, after its agents found biotech canola growing in his fields in 1997. It contends he replanted seeds from those plants without paying a technology fee of about $12 an acre.

For centuries, farmers have improved their crops by culling their best plants and husbanding seeds for the next planting season. Developing nations see these practices as sacrosanct, but increasingly threatened by the spread of genetically modified crops, which even subsistence farmers are required to pay for each year.

"Who can patent life, and who owns life, whether it's seeds, plants, animals and so on?" Schmeiser asked Monday at a news conference. "Those are some of the main issues that really concern me on a personal level."

His supporters also include the government of Ontario, which argues that public health suffers when life forms are patented. The province is ignoring patents held by Myriad Genetics of Salt Lake City on two genes implicated in breast cancer, administering its own cancer tests at a third of Myriad's list price.

Schmeiser has visited 40 countries in the last two years, receiving standing ovations from organic farming conventions and anti-biotech rallies from Marin County, Calif. to Osaka, Japan. Worldwide donations have poured in.

Still, Schmeiser has paid a steep price for refusing to settle. He owes Monsanto about $140,000 in judgments, amassed legal fees of $230,000, and has rented out all but 140 acres of his farm.

"The stress this has caused my family is unreal," said Schmeiser, who considers himself an accidental activist.

"It was not by choice," he said. "I'd rather be fishing with my 15 grandchildren."

razor2025

Diamond Member
May 24, 2002
Yeah... wake up AT people. Maybe I'm too naive, but how can you support these inistitutions that does not care about anyone but itself and/or shareholders. It's bad enough that thousands if not millions of people were affected by the Enron scandal, which basically started by a few greedy corporate execs, do you want companies to patent and charge you money for life's basic items? This is like reality-communism through capitalism. The Mega-Corp owns everything!

Jan 12, 2003
Originally posted by: razor2025
Yeah... wake up AT people. Maybe I'm too naive, but how can you support these inistitutions that does not care about anyone but itself and/or shareholders. It's bad enough that thousands if not millions of people were affected by the Enron scandal, which basically started by a few greedy corporate execs, do you want companies to patent and charge you money for life's basic items? This is like reality-communism through capitalism. The Mega-Corp owns everything!

I agree. It is time we proletarians UNITE! Down with "Corporate America!" Hail our brothers and sisters earning slave wages! We will raise again! Let's take AMERICA BACK!

Feb 3, 2001
Before crying foul that they ask him for $12 an acre royalties for their technology, I'd be curious to find out what his profit per acre is.

This is definitely one field where it should be *very* interesting to see how the courts handle these cases in the coming years.

Jason

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: DragonMasterAlex
Before crying foul that they ask him for $12 an acre royalties for their technology, I'd be curious to find out what his profit per acre is.

This is definitely one field where it should be *very* interesting to see how the courts handle these cases in the coming years.

Jason

20-40% more yeild

Feb 3, 2001
Ah, so they're *getting* more, but they don't want to *pay* more for getting more, they just want that extra for free.

I'm glad we can always rely on the Agricultural Community for honesty and fairness.

:roll:

Jason

DieHardware

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2001
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc
Monsanto is one of the few corporations that deserves the Evil Empire moniker more than Pfizer.
I agree. I watched a 5th estate episode (one of our cheap 60 minutes clones) on this a few years ago. Monsanto supposedly flew a chopper over his land and sprayed some roundup, which didn't kill the canola and went after him. Ugly thing is the Canadian government subsidized and collaborated with Monsanto to produce this roundup ready weed.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Part of the problem here is that GEgrains are blowing onto other farmers fields. So in effect farmers who never planted GE products are now being asked to pay a fee because some GE products are now growing on their land.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
This is wrong. I think once you buy seeds, you own their offspring and don't need to pay anyone jack.
Otherwise we have a tax on life. What about human genetic modifications? If they find a gene that causes breast cancer, and then modify it in embryos before the baby is born, and then that baby grows up and has kids, do those kids have to pay a tax to someone because they are benefitting from a gene that they didn't pay for? This is absurd.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
And why stop there. Does someone have to pay money to the estate of their great grandfather, because they got some of the good genes from that person? Or can you sue his estate if you got some bad genes from that man?

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
Ah, so they're *getting* more, but they don't want to *pay* more for getting more, they just want that extra for free.

I'm glad we can always rely on the Agricultural Community for honesty and fairness.

:roll:

Jason

i wish i could say i was glad we could count on people like you to totaly miss the point.
rolleye.gif

Feb 3, 2001
I didn't miss the point at all, thank you very much. Granted, if you didn't buy their product to begin with and it *accidentally* blew to your field you shouldn't have any culpability, if you DID buy it and it came with such a license agreement (I have no idea whether it did or not) and you benefitted, there is no validity to your refusal to pay the royalty.

This is NOT the same as putting a "patent on life," it's putting a patent on research, development and modification of a commodity, with a level of precision that a farmer or botanist with their simple splicing and mixing of plants could never hope to achieve.

Until I hear about a firm genetically modifying people, much less asking their children for royalties, I don't think anyones' arguments to such an effect should be weighed too heavily. It hasn't happened, don't panic until and unless it does.

What is it about this place that makes it draw such a reactionary crowd?

Jason

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
I didn't miss the point at all, thank you very much. Granted, if you didn't buy their product to begin with and it *accidentally* blew to your field you shouldn't have any culpability...

well i agree with your logic, but the courts ruled exactly the oppisite to that. so you did miss the point. ;)