Coronavirus Thread: Trump White House Cuts All Funding For The Program Meant To Prevent The Next Viral Pandemic.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Their track record is blind stupidity towards budget reductions.
I see no evidence of motive for this particular case. Do you?
Absent an actual reason, I'll stick with it being typical hack and slash.

Hell, I'd love to see someone try to explain this Budget item in the oval office. Just bring me the coloring book they used to explain it, and I'll concede.

I think it's both. The GOP wants to dismantle the govt, other than the military, and Trump will gladly help them do it, because Obama. Dovetail fit.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Yeah, screw all the people who could die. Libs bad!!

Two words that says it all for the mentality that Trump's base has been infected with. There is nothing else that matters to them, well, except when their perfect leader is caught being imperfect. All Hell breaks loose with them then.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
That headline was back in Oct 2019 and now the federal government is scrambling to prop up infrastructure to combat the spread of coronavirus.

Obama created the funding because of the slow response to Ebola outbreak back in 2014. We all know Trump cut that funding because President Darkie enacted it. Now we are living with the consequences.

So the CDC failed in 2014, and Obama started another federal disease control branch of government because of that. That seems like a reasonable response. Shouldn't the CDC have been disbanded at that point?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
So the CDC failed in 2014, and Obama started another federal disease control branch of government because of that. That seems like a reasonable response. Shouldn't the CDC have been disbanded at that point?
Better response then creating a brand new welfare program for farmers because Trump fucked up. God forbid Obama increased funding for something that had genuine need like Ebola. Sounds responsible. Oh wait I guess because Obama did it it was wrong?

If corona spreads in the US it's your hero's fault.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

So dishonest. The CDC does a helluva lot more than try to contain new diseases. They're still contending with old ones that are eradicable, like measles, thanks to the maroons among us.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
The spread of coronavirus is as certain as the sun rising tomorrow. Certainly programs should exist that deal with diseases more amenable to such actions, but neither Trump nor Obama or anyone else can stop this. Better to pray about it.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
BTW - We import chicken nuggets made in China. Wonder is there is a risk of catching coronavirus. I checked CDC website on transmission and it was unclear to me.

What about non-food products made in China? Touch item then you hand gets near eyes, nose or mouth?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
In another glaring example of incompotence by the orange genius, he cut the funding/infrastructure for pandemic outbreaks and now we have to scramble to build it back up again. Dismantling everything the negro put in place is not policy, all you Trumptards. Any early deaths of US citizens are on Trump's head.

White House to ask Congress for emergency coronavirus funding

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
BTW - We import chicken nuggets made in China. Wonder is there is a risk of catching coronavirus. I checked CDC website on transmission and it was unclear to me.

What about non-food products made in China? Touch item then you hand gets near eyes, nose or mouth?

"Under most circumstances, the amount of infectious virus on any contaminated surfaces is likely to have decreased significantly by 24 hours, and even more so by 48 hours.

Once the virus is transferred to hands, it survives for fewer than 5 minutes. Regular cleaning of frequently touched hard surfaces and hands will therefore help to reduce the risk of infection."

Problem is when infected people communicate in your general direction, it seems its a much better air borne shooter than other coronas ... also, dont go picking your nose within 5 minutes of touching an infected surface.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
In another glaring example of incompotence by the orange genius, he cut the funding/infrastructure for pandemic outbreaks and now we have to scramble to build it back up again. Dismantling everything the negro put in place is not policy, all you Trumptards. Any early deaths of US citizens are on Trump's head.

White House to ask Congress for emergency coronavirus funding

Don't worry, after he gets it he'll spend it on The Wall.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I remember when conservatives pretended to be very angry and concerned about Obama’s treatment of Ebola. Odd how they don’t seem so angry now.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
I remember when conservatives pretended to be very angry and concerned about Obama’s treatment of Ebola. Odd how they don’t seem so angry now.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bernie becomes president, they start an investigation into how Russia helped him because they know their supporters will change on a dime. It's pretty disgusting how so much law enforcement still want to back Trump and feign that he hasn't done anything legal.

Reactions: hal2kilo

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
The spread of coronavirus is as certain as the sun rising tomorrow. Certainly programs should exist that deal with diseases more amenable to such actions, but neither Trump nor Obama or anyone else can stop this. Better to pray about it.

It's probably coming no matter what however the government's level of preparedness could made a huge difference in the consequences both direct and otherwise. The Trump admin appears not prepared one bit.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
It's probably coming no matter what however the government's level of preparedness could made a huge difference in the consequences both direct and otherwise. The Trump admin appears not prepared one bit.
Well assuming we make it to April we'll be good. Trump said the heat would kill it.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Well assuming we make it to April we'll be good. Trump said the heat would kill it.

Trump should fly to China and shake a lot of hands if he thinks so.

Who's he kidding? The WH is going to be made water tight and submerged in a tank of Purell by next month.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Trump fucks up handling of coronavirus and his people won't care. Even if some of them are killed they will still make excuses for him. Until enough of then drop dead to change electoral outcome. That would be around 77K in 3 states. Even then it would be Obama's fault

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Another example Trump cut key personnel in the office of the DNI who's job was to deal with these situations...
here in the United States, epidemic preparedness hasn’t been a priority, to put it mildly. Let’s start with the leadership in the White House—or lack thereof. At the beginning of the Trump administration, public health legend Rear Admiral Tim Ziemer led a global health security team at the White House’s National Security Council. This, almost everyone agreed, was a very good thing: Ziemer had years of experience—under President George W. Bush, he had led a successful effort to fight malaria overseas. His team, a group of world-class infectious disease and public health experts—was working on implementing a national biodefense strategy to coordinate agencies in order to make the United States more resilient to the threat of biowarfare and epidemics.

But in 2018, when John Bolton assumed the role of national security advisor, Ziemer left, and Bolton disbanded his team, amid public outcry. No one has since filled the position. And Ziemer wasn’t the only public health advocate to jump ship: White House homeland security advisor Tom Bossert, a staunch advocate of infectious disease preparedness and the biodefense strategy, left soon after Bolton took over.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Trump says we got this under control. Trump also says coronavirus will be gone by April. CDC seems to contradict POTUS. Somebody getting fired?
American health authorities said Tuesday they ultimately expect the novel coronavirus to spread in the United States and are urging local governments, businesses, and schools to develop plans like canceling mass gatherings or switching to teleworking.

The comments mark a significant escalation in the level of threat being conveyed to the US public and come amid fears of a pandemic

I suspect in addition to firing after April gets here he will try to pivot like he never said it. Also try downplaying by saying "no worse then a cold". Oh yeah Dump? We don't quarantine people over colds

Health authorities expect coronavirus spread on US soil

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
All 3 US major carriers have cancelled flights to/from mainland China. Trump loves travel bans for brown people why have we not done this for China. Pretty good reason this time. If disease was from a shithole country ban would have been in place weeks ago.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
More incompetence from this White House. Who needs science and the CDC when we have Trump

The 14 coronavirus-stricken Americans evacuated from a cruise ship in Japan were flown back to the US on a plane full of healthy people against advice from the CDC, a report said Thursday.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002