Cornel West: President Obama Doesn’t Deserve To Be Sworn In With MLK’s Bible [VIDEO]

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
Wrong, Ron and Rand Paul believe in this thing called `Property Rights` which means businesses and private property can do business with who they want and if they dont want certain people then they have the right to. If businesses did this they would lose money from less customers and bad publicity so the majority of them wouldn't be stupid enough to do this.

No, they are racist trash who hate minorities, they just found a way to hide it behind "property rights".

crashtestdummy

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2010
Those laws were a violation of freedom and shouldn't have been enacted in the first place. Both those laws should have been passed

Irrelevant to my point. Regardless of what you think of them, they were laws MLK was in favor of. We're not talking about what you think is right and wrong in the world. We're asking if it's a disgrace to MLK's legacy that Obama swore in on his bible.

Apr 27, 2012
Irrelevant to my point. Regardless of what you think of them, they were laws MLK was in favor of. We're not talking about what you think is right and wrong in the world. We're asking if it's a disgrace to MLK's legacy that Obama swore in on his bible.

Yes it is a disgrace and I explained this numerous times in the thread already

themusgrat

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2005
It's absolutely true - a quick Google search will yield years of West attacks on Obama, including but not limited to instances in which West has called the President a "Republican in blackface." This all began when West felt the President wasn't sufficiently deferential to West during his campaign, and then failed to invite him to the inauguration. Obviously his present remarks have to be taken in that context.

Why is it you believe West's opinion of the President is sufficiently noteworthy to warrant creating this thread?

Why is it obvious that West doesn't like him because he's jealous or didn't get enough attention? Is it not possible that West just doesn't like Obama, and started speaking out when he was elected President?

Before clicking the thread, I thought this guy must be an idiot, and he may still be, but that's a legitimate reason to disapprove of Obama using MLK's Bible. Simply because MLK does mean alot to alot of people, and using it for political posturing is justifiably not ok with alot of people. In fact, now that I read it, I may have a problem with it too! Who knew.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Mr.West took on obama while most of the left are scared to say anything bad about him, Why dont they ever call him out? Its pathetic

He exposed the hypocrisy of obama since MLK would be disgusted with some of the stuff that obama is doing like the wars and drone strikes which have killed many people

MLK was also pro-Israel and against its enemies so he would not be happy with obama

http://www.debbieschlussel.com/4604...rael-but-muslims-continue-to-hijack-his-name/

You don't know much about MLK, I take it. his personal life was, well, let's just say not something to model oneself after.

Obama is also pro-Israel, which means you are just spouting your toolish ignorance.

all that being said, Obama sought permission from the King family to use the bible, and they granted it. It is certainly arguable that without MLK and his work, the Obama presidency would never have been possible. This all makes sense of course, and to think it wouldn't be relevant on that day is silly.

I know this might hurt your head, but just digest your purported "respect" you guys are displaying for MLK, and the fact that he made Obama possible....

Feb 10, 2000
Why is it obvious that West doesn't like him because he's jealous or didn't get enough attention? Is it not possible that West just doesn't like Obama, and started speaking out when he was elected President?

Before clicking the thread, I thought this guy must be an idiot, and he may still be, but that's a legitimate reason to disapprove of Obama using MLK's Bible. Simply because MLK does mean alot to alot of people, and using it for political posturing is justifiably not ok with alot of people. In fact, now that I read it, I may have a problem with it too! Who knew.

That is not what I said was obvious - what I said was that it was obvious his present remarks had to be taken in the larger context of his longstanding dislike of the President. This has been well documented over the years - see, e.g., http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national/2011/05/cornel-wests-continuing-feud-barack-obama/37842/ - and started because West felt the President was not adequately deferential and appreciative toward West during his campaign. This pre-dated his Presidency, and has led West to say all kinds of regrettable things about Obama, essentially accusing him of not being black enough.

Ultimately this Bible is not Cornel West's - it belongs to the King family, who agreed to let the President use it for the inauguration. I don't really see how West's opinion of this is anything noteworthy, particularly since he has made it clear that he simply doesn't like the President. Personally I think West is a bright man but a bit of a nut, and a total narcissist, and I don't care what he thinks of President Obama.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
Oh hush, there are far more worse things actually being condoned in the bible.

By whose standards? Yours? God sets the standards. All sin is against Him ultimately and He punishes or disciplines accordingly. You really don't understand how merciful and gracious He is b/c you don't understand how much we sin against Him.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
By whose standards? Yours? God sets the standards. All sin is against Him ultimately and He punishes or disciplines accordingly. You really don't understand how merciful and gracious He is b/c you don't understand how much we sin against Him.

yTEJxJQ.png

c47V7OQ.png

9cwXjqo.png

8iLmHZR.png

OT7cAZc.png

EYwz3o4.png

Sounds more like the words of a monster than someone who is merciful and gracious.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
And the sound of tenure, probably a nice big house and a nice car. Ohh how he suffers.

Where did he say anything about his personal suffering? From some brief research on Cornel West he seems to be rather strong-left and a critic of Bill Clinton and other more moderate Democrats as well, so I think dismissing him on the basis of jealousy or whatever is pretty unfair. That ATPN's very own savior of the American economy and Wall Street extraordinaire is saying it is especially lol-worthy.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Where did he say anything about his personal suffering? From some brief research on Cornel West he seems to be rather strong-left and a critic of Bill Clinton and other more moderate Democrats as well, so I think dismissing him on the basis of jealousy or whatever is pretty unfair. That ATPN's very own savior of the American economy and Wall Street extraordinaire is saying it is especially lol-worthy.

Why do people rely on the "jealousy" strawman? It's almost as pathetic as using Godwins. Get a new strawman.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Why do people rely on the "jealousy" strawman? It's almost as pathetic as using Godwins. Get a new strawman.

No, I was referring to accusations that West was jealous that he wasn't invited to Obama's 2008 inauguration or whatever. In the context of your post to Vito's, it implied that you agreed with said strawman. I totally agree that such arguments are moronic.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
No, I was referring to accusations that West was jealous that he wasn't invited to Obama's 2008 inauguration or whatever. In the context of your post to Vito's, it implied that you agreed with said strawman. I totally agree that such arguments are moronic.

No, I doubt his standing. It's easy to pick on Obama for not doing enough when you sit in your nice Harvard office, get paid a couple hundred thousand bucks, have tenure, and be able to lob bombs when you want. I do wonder what his house looks like. Is he as generous with his money as he is with his criticisms? What does he think of Harvard's endowment, the one that has generated gobs of money for that school. What about his students, obviously many are from monied families and many will be WS brats.

Again, it's easy to lob the bombs.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Seems like a pretty melodramatic way to say you don't agree 100% with Obama. He even says towards end thanks god Obama was elected. Politics has a lot of theater a man of West's intelligence should understand that and not overreact IMO.

Onceler

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
A fitting role to be "sworn in" using a commie's bible to confirm a commie
And before you start he's a racist crap I would be perfectly content to have someone like Alan Keyes as president.

Last edited:

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
yTEJxJQ.png

-snip-

Sounds more like the words of a monster than someone who is merciful and gracious.

I just noticed your response.

If you think that is rough, you have not seen anything yet. He is not only gracious and merciful, he is also just. You forget that you are God's property. He can slash the canvas if He wants, and He would not want to without good reason. What those reasons are are not always obvious, although he often allows for things He does not get any pleasure in, such as divorce and killing. He will also command things that He does not get any pleasure in b/c they serve a greater purpose, including slaughter. Have you actually studied the Old Testament?

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999

If you think that is rough, you have not seen anything yet. He is not only gracious and merciful, he is also just. You forget that you are God's property. He can slash the canvas if He wants, and He would not want to without good reason. What those reasons are are not always obvious, although he often allows for things He does not get any pleasure in, such as divorce and killing. He will also command things that He does not get any pleasure in b/c they serve a greater purpose, including slaughter. Have you actually studied the Old Testament?

He doesn't exist. He was an idea that Humans should be better than then what they were or could be...

Last edited:

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
No, they are racist trash who hate minorities, they just found a way to hide it behind "property rights".

except when it came to black ppl. they forgot about property rights then. black had towns with booming economies during reconstruction then in 1877 fed gont troops pulled and klan rose and burnt towns to the ground and put them back on masters plantations. Later Tulsa Ok was called black wall street but they were burnt to the ground too. after ~100 years of jim crow then when blacks were finally free they repealed homestead act which whites used to get hundreds of acres with per family for FREE for generations...accident i think not

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

you're cute.