Discussion Corned beef and Barley Stew in Slow Cooker.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
OK I'm getting a craving for Corned Beef again and this time I thinking of making a stew with Barley and what I have left of Wild Rice. Along with of course some potatoes, onions, mushrooms, and carrots. What spices should I use besides garlic? This is all cooked in my slow cooker of course.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Personally I would use dried ghost peppers and a few anchovies along with a few Rutabagas and Trrnips!! Ummmmmmm

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
What is a Rutabaga? I have eaten Turnips raw before, but not cooked. Maybe one Ghost Pepper since they are very hot, right?

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
This may sold like an odd question, but what about using cranberries?

Never gone beyond cabbage/carrots/potato's with my corn beef so no comment beyond sounds interesting .... be sure to report back w/pics.

OccamsToothbrush

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2005
This may sold like an odd question, but what about using cranberries?

I certainly wouldn't do that, but if you want to give it a shot have cranberries on the side and add them to a single serving to test. Don't want to ruin the whole thing with one oddball ingredient. Same with a ghost pepper, even a single one is too hot for a corned beef stew, a couple of hours in a slow cooker and all you're going to taste is pepper. Use thyme, rosemary, peppercorns, bay leaves, some beef broth and mushrooms.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Thyme is always good. Salt and pepper, too.

No parsley and sage?

Edit: dang I forgot rosemary!

I certainly wouldn't do that, but if you want to give it a shot have cranberries on the side and add them to a single serving to test. Don't want to ruin the whole thing with one oddball ingredient. Same with a ghost pepper, even a single one is too hot for a corned beef stew, a couple of hours in a slow cooker and all you're going to taste is pepper. Use thyme, rosemary, peppercorns, bay leaves, some beef broth and mushrooms.

Yeah I agree after some thought. Fruit can be good with meat but more like poultry or maybe pork. I'm not sure it will go well with corned beef.

Reactions: whm1974

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
No parsley and sage?

Edit: dang I forgot rosemary!

Yeah I agree after some thought. Fruit can be good with meat but more like poultry or maybe pork. I'm not sure it will go well with corned beef.
I've heard that applesauce goes well with roasted pork, or even cooking that with apples.

Reactions: Captante

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
What is a Rutabaga? I have eaten Turnips raw before, but not cooked. Maybe one Ghost Pepper since they are very hot, right?
a rutabaga is, simply put, a cross between a cabbage and a turnip.

330px-Swede_-_rutabaga_-_veggiegroup.jpg

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Apple and Pork Pie anyone? I would have sworn I've seen this in Townsend's YouTube channel before.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I used to eat them with salt all thim back when I used to live close by a grocery store. And the ones I brought had purple skins.
Those are radishes and those are ok to eat raw if you dont mind tasting radish when you burp for about 12 hours after eating them!

• Haha
Reactions: Iron Woode

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
OK I'm getting a craving for Corned Beef again and this time I thinking of making a stew with Barley and what I have left of Wild Rice. Along with of course some potatoes, onions, mushrooms, and carrots. What spices should I use besides garlic? This is all cooked in my slow cooker of course.
So....My knowledge of corned beef is limited because I don't live in a big city and it tends to take old-world immigrants to really nail stuff like that down. We just don't have many REAL delis....they all order processed meats and basically slice their own, but don't really make any corned beef. I've definitely ordered corned beef and pastrami sandwiches when I know the place is legit and I'm on the road.....or I'll order corned beef hash in places that make it too.

Are you starting with the corned beef that's basically marinated in a bake-in bag deal or what? I'd be interested in your recipe concept... Beef & barley sounds amazing.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
I'd add some beef broth or bouillon, maybe a hint of tomato, bay leaf, then taste it and maybe add a splash of vinegar or BBQ sauce. Hot peppers... I'd leave out and add my own sauce to it at meal-time unless you're the only one that'll be eating it.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I'd add some beef broth or bouillon, maybe a hint of tomato, bay leaf, then taste it and maybe add a splash of vinegar or BBQ sauce. Hot peppers... I'd leave out and add my own sauce to it at meal-time unless you're the only one that'll be eating it.
No offense....but I would think adding the wrong amount of the wrong kind of BBQ Sauce could ruin corned beef.

I'd probably want the corned beef to shine through and stand on its own. You could probably check into corned beef recipes and see what all is added besides vinegar and peppercorns...then maybe follow an Oxtail soup recipe for other spice profiles:

Reactions: whm1974

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Are you starting with the corned beef that's basically marinated i a bake-in bag deal or what? I'd be interested in your recipe concept... Beef & barley sounds amazing.
Yes I buy my Corn Beef in a bag, but not baked in as I use a slow cooker. I don't know about you but I like to go for 12 hours but opening the lid. Everything come out so tender... Last time I used wild rice I had sitting in my panty. I still have some left, and just how long does that will last anyway?

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
No offense....but I would think adding the wrong amount of the wrong kind of BBQ Sauce could ruin corned beef.

I'd probably want the corned beef to shine through and stand on its own. You could probably check into corned beef recipes and see what all is added besides vinegar and peppercorns...then maybe follow an Oxtail soup recipe for other spice profiles:
That's up to you, but corned beef alone, is nowhere near enough flavor to season soup. Some people get by with just adding salt, but I prefer something more.

There are plenty of other sauces besides BBQ, but personally, I would think it needs something.

I'd also add something to thicken it a bit, flour, corn starch, or better still okra but that's not something that everyone has lying around to use.

Reactions: Scarpozzi