Discussion Corn Cob Wine anyone

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
So watching this on YouTube I discovered Corn Cob Wine
Man I didn't know that you could make booze from corn cobs.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Interesting. I'm kinda curious to try that. Who would have known you can make wine in the instantpot lol.

Only part I find odd is not putting the cover to seal it though? Wouldn't you want it to be completely sealed? The fermentation process will basically eat up all the oxygen and then stop and then it will just age, but never go bad since there's no oxygen, at least that's what I always figured happened but I'm in no way an expert at this.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
You can make wine in a trashbag with fruit cups and old bread also. Doesn't mean you should...
I think hooch is a bit different than making Corn Cob Wine.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:After all prisoners have quite limited means of QC.

The young woman in the video does look like she is using a good degree of proper QC in making this type of wine.

Plenty of people people brew their own beer, wine, and mead. Which is perfectly legal in the US as long as you don't distill the results into spirits.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
I think hooch is a bit different than making Corn Cob Wine.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:After all prisoners have quite limited means of QC.

The young woman in the video does look like she is using a good degree of proper QC in making this type of wine.

Plenty of people people brew their own beer, wine, and mead. Which is perfectly legal in the US as long as you don't distill the results into spirits.
You're allowed 200 gallons a year for home use. You just can't sell it.

Reactions: whm1974

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
You're allowed 200 gallons a year for home use. You just can't sell it.
That a lot of beer. wine, and mead to make for owns personal use. What about serving some of that to guests invited for dinner and the like?
He'll find some kind of accessory that replaces the instant pot cover and converts the entire thing into a fully automated still. Meal prepping could never be better!
Who me? Isn't that rather dangerous to be since the imbibers runs the risk of going blind? Also illegal as well? No thanks. I watched a video off YouTube about some fool who tried to do that with store brought beer and almost went blind.

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
Interesting. I'm kinda curious to try that. Who would have known you can make wine in the instantpot lol.

Only part I find odd is not putting the cover to seal it though? Wouldn't you want it to be completely sealed? The fermentation process will basically eat up all the oxygen and then stop and then it will just age, but never go bad since there's no oxygen, at least that's what I always figured happened but I'm in no way an expert at this.

The fermentation process produces a lot of carbon dioxide gas. In a sealed container it produces a lot of pressure and could explode, or violently bubble over when you opened it, like a shaken up soda bottle.

Reactions: whm1974

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
The fermentation process produces a lot of carbon dioxide gas. In a sealed container it produces a lot of pressure and could explode, or violently bubble over when you opened it, like a shaken up soda bottle.

This is what I was thinking ... in fact I've read in IP recipe books that using too much alcohol when cooking with one can be extremely dangerous.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
He'll find some kind of accessory that replaces the instant pot cover and converts the entire thing into a fully automated still. Meal prepping could never be better!

That's a waste of perfectly good corn cobs. I need to make a recipe for ethanol gas from corn in the IP instead :p

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Trying out Cornbread Bites in the Instant Pot tomorrow:

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
That's a waste of perfectly good corn cobs. I need to make a recipe for ethanol gas from corn in the IP instead :p
Under Federal and State permit to do that. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
This is what I was thinking ... in fact I've read in IP recipe books that using too much alcohol when cooking with one can be extremely dangerous.
First I've heard of this, what happens if you use too much? Of course I never hear of anyone cooking with 200 proof alcohol and why would they anyway?