"Core Temp" - Official Developer Thread.

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
I use to have that kind of a gut revolt to the situation as well but have since just come to accept it.

Java, flash, coretemp - the bottom line is that these companies don't charge us for the software but it does add value to our lives otherwise we wouldn't be using it in the first place.

So it makes sense that they try and pay their bills, and it makes sense that we bear some of that burden as their otherwise freeloading customers.

Same reason I don't adblock the Anandtech forums. I have a philosophical disagreement with people that expect Anand to pay for the bandwidth of these forums out of his pocket but they can't be bothered to let a few ads (that they'll never click anyways) show up in their browser.

Well, for me, websites are a different matter entirely. I don't adblock any of them. (though I do run the adaptive tracking protection in ie which does have that side effect every now and then). I keep the same attitudes on most of my home systems that I maintain for work, which means only necessary things. If I find a page that has ads that are too offensive, I just don't use that page.

It *is* a tradeoff. I chose not to partake an applications that want to push other software, just as I pass on partaking in websites with overly obtrusive ads.

We get it. You don't like saying no to toolbars. You made your point.

To the "we get it" guy, it isn't as if I posted more than a single message to that effect, and then clarified the stance when someone pointed out you didn't have to install it. There is crusading (which I'm not doing), and then there is making a position known (there are those of us who refuse to use a product if it tries to install anything else). You're acting as if I won't shut up about this. I probably wouldn't have even posted this much (other than the conversational bit with IDC), but for some reason you apparently take single comments as preaching.

In that case I get that you get it feel free to drop it. You made your point.(see, overreaction to single comments is silly)

Last edited:

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
I think the dialogue and feedback regarding the concerns and reception of these bundled installer apps is valuable and helpful to developers. Surely they want to know if they are crossing a line that is causing significant user migration to their competitors product.

I know when I uninstalled Chrome I was prompted with a google survey to provide feedback regarding why I was uninstalling the app. Same idea applies, feedback can be helpful.

What you don't want is to make a product packaging decision that so royally pisses off your customers that they not only go to the competition but they won't give you the time of day and make an effort to tell you why they are going to the competition.

At any rate, coretemp is available as standalone software which is coolbeans in my book. I like the portability feature.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Ooo i thought you ditched the standalone and went installer only! I switched to realtemp because of that, nice to see theres still a standalone :)

Switched back now, i like to see the frequency and load in the taskbar as well as the temps :thumbsup:

2xj2K.png

rgallant

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2007
thanks ,
core temp sits on my G15's lcd all the time.
-load per core , cpu multi ,vid ,and temps per core. love it.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Weird that the newest version is RC4. I have a version, and I don't know what I did with the original installer or archive, but it identifies itself as 1.0. Not 1.0RC3.

I know that 1.0RC3 doesn't correctly identify the CPU frequency properly for the E-350, but version 1.0 does.

The Coolest

Dec 16, 2004
www.alcpu.com
1.0 was the original RC1, maybe RC2. RC3 had the full version name in the title and it did have a problem with frequency readings on the APUs while others didn't.

extreme oc'er

Oct 18, 2012
This is quite common, the easiest remedy to try and even out your core temps is to re-apply thermal paste, it might not be giving equal coverage.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
This is quite common, the easiest remedy to try and even out your core temps is to re-apply thermal paste, it might not be giving equal coverage.

The core temps won't be the same because the die itself is not symmetric so the rate of cooling across the die is also not symmetric.

Example: (forgive me UncleWeb for the inclusion of a realtemp SS in this thread :()

SandyBridgeTempsandDarkSilicon.jpg

boxleitnerb

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2011
How accurate is Core Temp? I have 2 other tools (HWInfo 64 and Orbmu2K CPU Gadget) that report 5-10° higher temps.

The Coolest

Dec 16, 2004
www.alcpu.com
What CPU do you have?
Accuracy of temps for all the programs should be identical as we all use the same sensor, the only possible reason for differences is if you have a core 2 chip and we use different tjmax values (core temp = tjmax - 'temp sensor value')

boxleitnerb

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2011
Ah, my bad. The other tools had tjmax at 100°C but 91°C is correct for my 3930K.

But another thing if you don't mind:

Is there a way to log the Power value? Apparently only CPU load and temperature values are logged.

Last edited:

synapse46

Oct 3, 2012
My GF has an MSI 790FX-GD70 with an amd 720. When the 4th core is unlocked coretemp reports a temp of 0 degrees, is this a known issue or is there anyway to correct this? She also has a logitech G510 and enjoys the info in the LCD screen, thanks for a great product.

Last edited:

The Coolest

Dec 16, 2004
www.alcpu.com
It is a known issue, unfortunately enabling ACC (which is what Core Unlocking does) somehow prevents the temperature sensor from working correctly, and it simply doesn't give any readings.

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
If I may make a suggestion, can you make it more obvious where to get the standalone version on your website? I didn't think to check under "More downloads" until somebody mentioned it in this thread.

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
Qustion: how does CoreTemp get its "Power" figure?

I ask because running with the same CPU-Z reported vcore with different levels of LLC (requiring different offets) results in a different reported "Power" number in Core Temp.

The Coolest

Dec 16, 2004
www.alcpu.com
The processor has an ECU which manages its power consumption. It also allows software to monitor how much energy the processor is consuming at a specific point in time, Intel provides a formula in their tech docs which lets you convert these values into an average of the power consumption over time, Core Temp uses this feature to report power consumption.

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
Interesting.

Here's my scenario:

4.4ghz

LLC disabled, loaded with LinX
CPU-Z reports 1.208v (under load)
Core Temp reports 74c
Core Temp reports 88.5w
Core Temp reports VID @ 1.316

LLC enabled, loaded with LinX
CPU-Z reports 1.224v
Core Temp reports 80c
Core Temp reports 83.6w
Core Temp reports VID @ 1.286 (or close to, if I remember correctly)

^ Confusing. The lower temperatures suggest to me that CPU-Z is correct in that my voltage is lower because the temperature is lower as well, suggesting the Power figure is calculated based on VID and not actual vcore.

Last edited:

ehume

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2009
The processor has an ECU which manages its power consumption. It also allows software to monitor how much energy the processor is consuming at a specific point in time, Intel provides a formula in their tech docs which lets you convert these values into an average of the power consumption over time, Core Temp uses this feature to report power consumption.

Does this mean you can read a cpu's power consumption in Watts? (I just looked in Core Temp and could not find such a reading.)

Ed1

Jan 8, 2001
Does this mean you can read a cpu's power consumption in Watts? (I just looked in Core Temp and could not find such a reading.)

look right above core temp values, there a power value in watts .
this is latest beta of core temp

The Coolest

Dec 16, 2004
www.alcpu.com
Core Temp Monitor for Windows Phone is now available for download from the Windows Phone Store

irRPXIt.png

There is currently 2 bugs I found in this release:
1. If the phone is locked while CTM is still running and some time passes, CTM doesn't resume properly. It won't display any monitors and will probably crash. So I would recommend to close the app when you're done with it, before locking the phone.
2. There is a mysterious issue when some times when the application starts, it will display a 'Connection interrupted' dialog with a 'Parameter: index' error. In such case, just exit the app and launch it again.

I'm working on getting these two problems sorted, but would really appreciate feedback on other serious problems so they can be fixed before I resubmit the app, which can take several days to be approved.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999

It does but it reads some internal sensor on the chip that reports the power consumption and near as I can figure, after playing around with it, it only reports dynamic power consumption and is totally blind to static power consumption (which in some cases can represent 50% of the total power consumption).

I'm not sure what good the power consumption estimate is since it seems to only capture and report half of the critical stuff.