"Core Temp" - Official Developer Thread.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dev0lution

Dec 23, 2004
I won't knock the program, but has it been tested in Vista x86 RC1? The results I was getting lead me to believe it's got issues with even the 32bit version of Vista.

**Edit**

Here's why I ask. Ran Core Temp and it's reporting 100C on both cores. Keep in mind this is while running AVS Video converter converting a 6GB ms-dvr file to Quicktime.

Start

Open up Everest and begin the System Stability test to see how stressing the CPU changes temps in Core Temp. After a few minutes, no change to temps. Still reading 100C on both cores.

Couple Minutes In..

After more than 5 minutes of 100% CPU load, there's still no change in Core Temp's reading on either core from the original 100C.

WTF?

Again, just wondering why there's such wildly varying readings between programs and why Core Temp isn't measuring any increase in temp when my CPU usage goes from 50-60% up to 100% for sustained periods.

dev0lution

Dec 23, 2004
Didn't get any messages when I started. Opening the Core Temp using "Run as Administrator" in x86 seems to fix the problem. Thx.

mauve

Nov 12, 2006
Great Software i got it from some website on the same day when i bought my rig....
Recommended!!
Though if u have an Asus Mobo and Aisuite it is awesome too as i found 0-2C difference between Aisuite and CoreTemp...

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Originally posted by: homestarmy
This seems like a pretty neat program... but one issue.

On my desktop, with an Athlon X2 3800+ @ 2.4GHz, it says Core 1 is CONSTANTLY much hotter than Core 0.

Even when running Prime95 torture test on Core 0, Core 1 is still hotter by 5C. At idle, it is around 6C hotter. Any idea why this is?

On my Core Duo laptop, they are the same, give or take.

I've tried various s939 X2 chips on 2 different motherboards and there was always a 6-7C difference between the core temps when using this program. I never really could find an answer as to why it happens.

nullpointerus

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2003
I've got an X2 4200 overclocked to 220x11. Your program shows one core clocked at 220x11 and the other at 220x9 under load, and the VID fluctuates between 1.10-1.35 constantly on both cores. Is this normal? The X2 is a brand new socket 939 processor.

The Coolest

Dec 16, 2004
www.alcpu.com
Originally posted by: homestarmy
Hey, when do I get my system tray icon? What gives? :)

I'm sorry, but that will have to take a backseat.
I have a full time job, now I started an important course that basically takes all of my free time as I have to study a lot.
There will be a new version released this thursday/friday with many small updates and fixes, and proper Intel CPU recognition.

Originally posted by: nullpointerus
I've got an X2 4200 overclocked to 220x11. Your program shows one core clocked at 220x11 and the other at 220x9 under load, and the VID fluctuates between 1.10-1.35 constantly on both cores. Is this normal? The X2 is a brand new socket 939 processor.

Well... That's called Cool n' Quiet...

JustAnAverageGuy

Diamond Member
Aug 1, 2003
Well, at least I'm not the only one to notice the core temps were 6°C off.

Core temp seems to keep crashing on my X2 system whenever ORTHOS is running the small FFT stress test.

- JaAG

markrb38

Nov 19, 2004
Originally posted by: mauve
Great Software i got it from some website on the same day when i bought my rig....
Recommended!!
Though if u have an Asus Mobo and Aisuite it is awesome too as i found 0-2C difference between Aisuite and CoreTemp...

I have that setup and the Aisuite shows 46c, while Core temp shows 41c with my E6400 @ 3.01Ghz.

My goal was to keep the temp under 60C at heavy load. Should I use the Aisuite or Core temp for that target?

Mark

The Coolest

Dec 16, 2004
www.alcpu.com
Version 0.94 - 16th November, 2006
- Fix: Temperature log file not created in EXE folder.
- Fix: Temperature log file left "Processor" field blank.

- Add: An actual icon for the EXE/System tray.
- Add: An option to display temperature in Fahrenheit.
- Add: An option to start Core Temp minimized.

- Change: Only list physical processors in CPU selection.
- Change: Improve Intel CPU detection.

- Remove: GCPUID button.

Older versions

I know that many of you have expected to see a system tray icon that would display CPU temps.
I'm just way too busy to get any work done lately, I started some course so its work then come home and do homework.
Next release should have an OSD display if I can get it working quickly enough.
Hope you like the update, Intel users will get better CPU recognition and Revision detection.

imported_Someone2

Oct 3, 2006
Hmm.. my motherboard sensor says my Core 2 E6600 (with stock heatsink) is 62C under load and 48C idle, but Core temp says 50C under load and 35C idle. Which one I should trust more? Oh, and if Core temp numbers are more accurate, are they ok with stock heatsink?

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
I've been trying to DL this app for more than a week now and the server is always down. WUWT? Does anyone have a mirror?

xtknight

Elite Member
Oct 15, 2004
It works great for me. If you have a chance to respond to my PM that would be great.

Thanks, and bump.

The Coolest

Dec 16, 2004
www.alcpu.com
Version 0.99.7.10 - 1st September, 2010

- New: Enable overheat protection to execute a command every time an overheating occurs or just once.
- New: TjMax for AMD 10H and 11H family processors (K10/K10.5/Puma - older Turions)

- Fix: Several mobile Intel processor recognition issues.
- Fix: Mobile AMD processor recognition issues.
- Fix: Problem with Settings window throwing errors about Scheduled tasks if "Start with Windows" was not checked.
- Fix: Core Temp may crash on systems when switching between power supplies (wall/battery) or exiting sleep/hibernation mode.
- Fix: TCaseMax calculation for socket 939 AMD processors.

- Update: Shared memory applications and AMD Phenom derivatives will now show temperature for all of the cores.
- Update: Core Temp will remember proper screen position on multiple displays, when the 1st display is on the right.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
great app and kudos for the effort. but why should i use this over RealTemp? what does it offer/do better?

The Coolest

Dec 16, 2004
www.alcpu.com
First of all Core Temp has support for AMD processors, RealTemp doesn't.
Besides that Core Temp also has a few addons that RealTemp doesn't, you can check them out here:
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/addons.html

Other than that it has a few small features like Window 7 taskbar support and several other small additions that RealTemp may not have implemented.
Of course there are several things that RealTemp has which Core Temp doesn't.

I think that both programs are mostly an acquired taste, try it and see if you like it better than RealTemp or not, you can always delete it if you don't want to keep using it.

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009
Is there a reason it lists my 955 as AM2+ when its in an AM3 Motherboard? Shouldn't it list AM3?

CoreTemp-Scr1.png

The Coolest

Dec 16, 2004
www.alcpu.com
Well there is no simple way to tell the difference between AM2+ and AM3 from the CPU's registers.
The only possible way is to check whether you're using DDR2 or DDR3, but it can also pose a problem if you use an AM3 chip in an AM2+ mobo where it will still be recognized as AM2+ since the memory used is DDR2.

Boyo

Golden Member
Feb 23, 2006
I use Core Temp all the time. Great program that also displays right on my G15 LCD screen. Love it. Thanks