Core i7 won't go past 3.6 ghz => likely memory timing problem

nonxcarbonx

Jun 23, 2009
Motherboard: Foxconn Renaissance
CPU: Core i7 920 C0 Stepping
Water Cooler: Domino A.L.C.
3x2GB 1600 mHz RAM

I just bought a new water cooler, and after a lot of overclocking I'm having trouble getting past 3.59 ghz. I would think that that is simply my processor's limit, but I'm skeptical of that because a month ago I oced it to 3.39 gHz on stock cooling, so I would think that upgrading to a pretty decent water cooling system would give me more than 200 mHz increase. But this is the odd thing: I have a stable oc at 3.59, w/ stats here:

V Core: Added +.13 V (~1.33 V)
VTT Core: Added +.07
North Bridge: 1.155 V Overall
Base Clock: 178

Normal, Right? But when I tried upping it to a base clock of 181, I kept getting blue screens. I even tried it with these settings below (my motherboard turns the numbers from white to yellow if I go above theses, so I don't know whether to treat above them as taboo)

V Core: Added +.2 V (~1.45 V)
VTT Core: Added +.2 V
North Bridge: 1.239 (I could increase it 2 more of my motherboard's increments, but I already should have raised it plenty)
Base Clock 181

I increased voltages pretty significantly for 3 clocks higher on base, and I still get a blue screen in windows! My RAM is at maximum 1.65 V and on auto, and qpi is on auto too. I tried my hand at manuel, and lets just say it took a lot of system reconfiguring to get the computer to post again Unfortunately, I have no auto voltage settings, and the stats i listed are the only voltage settings I have access to. Please help get me to at least 3.8.

I can only edit the following voltages: V core, Vtt core, ram, and north bridge. I have no direct control over pll and qpi, it's all in the vtt. Also, my cruddy motherboard doesn't have any editable multipliers for the ram and qpi, it's all manuel which ive never done. This is what it looked like when I manually did it:

Performance tuning mode: manuel
Uncore frequency: 1600 mhz
Dram frequency: 800mhz
DRAM tCL: 7
tRCD 7
tRP 7
tRAS 20
tRRD 4
tWR 8
tWTR 4
tRTP 4
tRFC 59

I also tried uncore and ram at 1333 and 2666, but each time my computer took about 4 restarts to post (kind of like when you turn off the power supply and turn it back on, how it keeps restarting itself until it has enough voltage). So I'm not sure what to do. I've never manually overclocked Ram and I don't know what those codes mean, but I'm open to advice. I suspect that the problem lies in the ram/uncore because turbo still works, and if i didn't have enough v core voltage it wouldn't. Please help me with my memory tuning.

May 13, 2009
It is the foxconn board thats limiting you. Call me crazy if you must but I had a foxconn mb before and had oc'ing issues. I have a q9400 and when it was in my foxconn board I had it oc'ed to 2.9 max oc. I tried for months to get past 2.9 w/ no success. I decided to get another board just to see and I have my q9400 oc'ed to 3.75 and had it up to 4.0 before. I think foxconn boards are ok but terrible overclockers in my opinion.

I know some guy will post "you have no idea what your talking about" and they might be right but Im just going with my gut feeling and past experience.

nonxcarbonx

Jun 23, 2009
I hear you and totally agree. If i could go back I would never buy the thing again. What kind of overclocking motherborad doesn't have auto voltage controls, or ppm voltage control, or ram multipliers? When it was shipped to me, the stock had turbo TURNED OFF. horrible motherboard, but i'm not spending another 200 dollars so I have to work with it.