Core i?, Integrated Graphics, When?

21stHermit

Dec 16, 2003
I'd like to build a mini-ITX desktop with low power to rival a laptop. I know Intel is working on Nahalem derivatives with integrated graphics on the CPU die. When will these be on the market?

If it's more than 6 months, what shorter term options would you suggest?

I saw on Newegg an Atom 330 on an Intel mini-ITX MB for $80. Any experience with an Atom dual core? Also several Zotac S775 MBs in mini-ITX FF, an E5200 would likely be a good CPU for my needs.

As a reference I'm using a Dell E1505 with a Core Duo, 1.66GHz, 2GB, WinXP SP2, as my primary PC, no complaints.

Thanks for any input.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
If you are looking at the Atom setup, then a Nehalem based setup would be waaaaaayyyy overkill for you.

A good balance of decent performance and low cost would be one of those mini ITX boards with an E5200, as you mentioned. It would even be an upgrade from your Dell notebook in performance.

Just choose your mini ITX cases carefully because many of them leave something to be desired for noise levels, as in they can be noisy. Also, some are designed for specific mini ITX boards (typically VIA based) and may not fit other mini ITX boards due to not enough clearance or cooling.

ilkhan

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2006
The only thing that would rival a notebook in power usage is, well, a notebook. Or that atom setup. Desktop CPUs are going to use more power than the whole platform when they aren't in a deep power state.

Whats wrong with connecting to an ethernet cord, USB hub, and an external monitor? Would save you buying a whole separate desktop.

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
I have an atom. its okay for basic use, struggles with HD playback.

the 330 should be nice. try to imagine a dual core 1.4ghz pentium 4

21stHermit

Dec 16, 2003
I found this comparison of the the Atom 330 vs a Core Duo like my laptop:
An important german magazine (c't) published a performance comparison of netbook CPUs with a Core Duo 1,6 GHz (T2060). The only clear bottom line is that the VIA C7-M has the worst performance, in all tests.
The Atom CPU is as quick as the Core Duo 1,6 GHz for HDTV 720p video decoding while the Atom is quicker for Video-DVD decoding.
Powerpoint: about the same performance for Atom and Celeron while the Core Duo is much quicker.
Complex Word document: the Celeron is as quick as the Core Duo, the Atom is a bit slower. MP3 decoding with VLC: the Atom CPU is by far the quickest (2 sec), Celeron 5 sec and Core Duo 20 sec.
MP3 decoding with Windows Media Player 9: the Celeron is the quickest (7 sec), Core Duo and Atom need 20 sec.
Since they are both dual core and 1.6GHz, one would expect similar performance. However the cache levels are likely different. Clearly a mixed bag.

Can anyone put the comparison into perspective? I'm a bit confused.

Newegg has a Foxconn barebone Atom 330 for $125 shipped, I'm very tempted. Since its Mini-ITX, I could easily upgrade to a S775 MB or a Nahalem w/ integrated video at a future date. That would rock.

21stHermit

Dec 16, 2003
Learned some more about my original question, in the title.

The first desktop Intel processors, produced on 32 nm technology (Clarkdale), and their announcement was planned for the first quarter 2010. The deliveries of 32 nm processors for the OEM- market will start in the fourth quarter in the present year.

Associates designated the price range, in which will come Clarkdale processors - from $50 to $150. For processor with an integrated graphic core, this is sufficiently attractive prices level. Clarkdale processors will use the socket LGA 1156. They can be used in motherboard, which will be released in the third quarter 2009 for the four core processor (45 nm ) Lynnfield.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
There are alot of these 32nm. cores with G55 ondie out to Venders. Intel has really clamped up on releaseing info on these 32nm cores. I have heard from blood that these things O/C like Crazy. 2 cores 4 threads @ 5ghz anyone. To me for awhile these be the smart buy when released. But like fool I am I will go from 4core nehalem to 6 core Nehalem . Just stupid unless larrabee and Nehalem work really well together. We get preview with Snow leopald release. Come on apple release it already NV. is ready. Intel not quit yet. Don't wait on Intel let NV shine bright befor the Burn out. The GPU ondie with 2core is the G55. I can't wait for Anand. review of these chips. None will be talking about the 5ghz O/Cs . WHy? You'll see.

ilkhan

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2006
G55 will refer to the ICH10 (11?), Nemesis. G/P/Q will refer to feature set and if it has the GPU->port (FDI) connection. GMA5500 will probably what Intel calls the on-die GPU.

Aluvus

Platinum Member
Apr 27, 2006
Originally posted by: 21stHermit
Since they are both dual core and 1.6GHz, one would expect similar performance. However the cache levels are likely different. Clearly a mixed bag.

The two products are radically different internally (Core is out-of-order, Atom is in-order for a start), and support different instruction set extensions. There is way more to it than clock speed, number of cores, and cache.

If you're looking for low power and video decoding performance, and aren't in a hurry, you might look into NVIDIA's Ion platform, which pairs an Atom processor with an NVIDIA chipset. Or something using Via's Nano processor, which outperforms Atom. Or late this year (which I suppose is outside your 6 month horizon), NVIDIA is supposed to release a version of the Ion platform for the Nano.

The Core 2 Duo E5200 would be plenty of performance, but would draw much more power than an Atom alternative.

21stHermit

Dec 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Aluvus
Originally posted by: 21stHermit
The two products are radically different internally (Core is out-of-order, Atom is in-order for a start), and support different instruction set extensions. There is way more to it than clock speed, number of cores, and cache.

If you're looking for low power and video decoding performance, and aren't in a hurry, you might look into NVIDIA's Ion platform, which pairs an Atom processor with an NVIDIA chipset. Or something using Via's Nano processor, which outperforms Atom. Or late this year (which I suppose is outside your 6 month horizon), NVIDIA is supposed to release a version of the Ion platform for the Nano.

The Core 2 Duo E5200 would be plenty of performance, but would draw much more power than an Atom alternative.
Unfortunately you didn't supply any numeric facts, only more reasons to be confused.

I just ordered a Foxconn Atom 330 barebone. I'll be my main computer until and if I need an upgrade. If I do, I'll get a Clarksdale on a mini-ITX MB. Clarksdale should provide low power and performance both.

I just hooked up my Kill-A-Watt. My laptop, +22" LCD, +network HDD, +router, +terrestrial wireless internet, altogether consume 85 watts. This has been my norm for the last 2-years.

The larger HDD in the Foxconn will allow me to turn off the network HDD 95% of the time saving 10-12 watts, but the Foxconn will likely consume more than the lappie. Time will tell.

Living solar-electric, low power is crucial.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Originally posted by: ilkhan
G55 will refer to the ICH10 (11?), Nemesis. G/P/Q will refer to feature set and if it has the GPU->port (FDI) connection. GMA5500 will probably what Intel calls the on-die GPU.

The name for FDI supporting chips are already known. I guess because of the lack of IGP, they will call it H55 and H57. The value chipsets are still going by the "Q" name with Q55 and Q57.