Core count increase required for SMP ??

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
My 16 thread box went to A4 cores in the last couple of days, will not get a bigadv anymore. Did they change the requirement to 20 or 24 cores ?

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Well, I looked around. and yes, as of May 1st, its 24 core count minimum, and bigadv will stop on Jan 15 2015. So I have spent over $10k on 24 core boxes, and now they are stopping the program ??????

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
It is so sad that they are stopping that incentive ... It makes F@H less attractive.
I was also considering of building a folder with Xeons, but I will reconsider ... :(

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
What is sad is that they don't stop the non-productive experiments much sooner than they do.

There was the special Pentium 4 high point WUs that went nowhere.

How long did they run the first ATI GPU WUs without any good results? All they proved was that they could not do it.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
I just don't understand why they would want to stop using such high HP rigs on those WUs :confused:

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Oh yea, overlooked that! :$
How much more points did the bigadv give?

Btw, with the mega-rigs you have you'd still be contributing a lot to F@H, isn't that enough? Or am I missing something?

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Oh yea, overlooked that! :$
How much more points did the bigadv give?

Btw, with the mega-rigs you have you'd still be contributing a lot to F@H, isn't that enough? Or am I missing something?

Not sure, but it may loose me 500k ppd......and over $10k in mostly (to me) useless hardware.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
That is a big drop in ppd :(, but your rigs would still be crunching some serious amounts of F@H! :cool:.
So not useless :thumbsup:

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
Were you folding for points or to help find a cure for cancer?

If the bigadv WUs are not producing the results they expected, why would you want them to continue? If they are not helping to find a cure for cancer you should be happy they are stopping!

If the project admins finally decided that your hardware would be more productive for finding a cure for cancer by running different WUs you should be happy. If I were you I would be angry that they didn't stop them sooner!

Besides, everyone else is in the same boat, so you will keep the same position you have now :)

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Were you folding for points or to help find a cure for cancer?

If the bigadv WUs are not producing the results they expected, why would you want them to continue? If they are not helping to find a cure for cancer you should be happy they are stopping!

If the project admins finally decided that your hardware would be more productive for finding a cure for cancer by running different WUs you should be happy. If I were you I would be angry that they didn't stop them sooner!

Besides, everyone else is in the same boat, so you will keep the same position you have now :)

I did it to cure cancer, but aligned my buying with that which would produce the most results. Now I have to start all over in realigning resources, and buy that which makes sense. But I am not a millionaire.....