Core 2 Duo will work on D865GLC motherboard

cplyakap

Aug 9, 2017
I have Intel D865GLC motherboard. It has mPGA478 socket and Pentium 4 3 GHZ HT processor. My processor isn't enough for even daily use. Thus, I want to change it. Firstly, I looked for Intel's official support webpage.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards/000006655.html

In there, maximum support of my motherboard is Pentium 4 Extreme Edition 3.4 GHz and 2 MB L3 Cache. Finding this processor is fairly difficult. There are only 1-2 Pentium 4 Extreme Edition 3.4 GHz on the online shopping and the cheapest is 299 USD. This is quite expensive, so there is only a choice. Core 2 Duo. I looked a lot of webpages, but I haven't managed to find any precise info yet. Someone says take risk and try it, other one says definitely not work, other one says mechanically fit but electrically not fit. I don't know what should I do against these answers. Finally, I looked Game-Debate. Game-Debate says several of Core 2 Duo's will fit D865GLC. (T2050 and T5250.)

http://www.game-debate.com/motherboard/index.php?mot_id=1307&cpuList=Intel D865GLC

Although this, I'm still not sure about Core 2 Duo compability of D865GLC. Thus, I also looked chipset infos. My chipset is 865G. I looked for CPU compability of my chipset. In wikipedia, my chipset seems support the Core 2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...m_4-M.2FPentium_M.2FCeleron_M_mobile_chipsets

http://i68.tinypic.com/2m6rgah.jpg

Is chipset important for processor compability of motherboard? And finally, Game-Debate says Core 2 Duo T2050 and T5250 will fit D865GLC I said it above. We assume it is correct. However, T2050 and T5250 aren't worth to pay them. Their clock speeds and caches are low. T6600 and T9500 are using the same socket with T2050 and T5250. Thus, can I use T6600 or T9500? T6600 and T9500 use 35 W power. My Pentium 4 uses 85 W power. Are motherboard and socket defining power for processor? In addition to this, will my motherboard be damaged if Core 2 duo doesn't work on my mother board? Or will life of my mobo be reduced? Thanks answers for anyway.

Note: Please don't answer like 'Buy new motherboard or new system.' I'm fine for my motherboard. I want to upgrade it to the its maximum degree.

JoeRambo

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2013
1) Core Duo is NOT Core 2, it is mobile chip that worked in 478 with tricks, and i don't ever remember those tricks working in official Intel mobos.
2) Core Duo chips (T2050 and such) will have bad perf if not overclocked, which your board won't allow. And even when OCed they will be slower than E6400 + mobo combo that go for peanuts these days.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
you are very close to the maximum CPU your board can take, there is not a lot to gain with CPU upgrades and P4 Extreme is expensive because it's desirable for "collectors" due to rarity, not because it performs great nowadays (it doesn't);
s478 from Pentium 4 and Core Duo CPUs is different, incompatible, there were rare boards that could take both p4 and Pentium M Dothan like the P4p800 with an adapter; also some Core Duo desktop boards were made, but they couldn't not be used with P4s like yours;

the chipset itself is not the problem, it's the motherboard your only realistic option for a decent upgrade is a new motherboard.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
No really, buy a new motherboard. Your motherboard is an antique, with appalling integrated graphics, no PCIe slot (only AGP), slow DDR1 memory, slow storage interface (presumably hooked up to a slow hard drive). Your entire system is obsolete for day to day use. Messing around with unsupported CPUs is just going to give you a system which is still too slow for day to day use, potentially fry your system, and waste your money.

Save up and get a new machine.

cplyakap

Aug 9, 2017
Thanks for answers, but I don't think the buy new mobo. I want to use this motherboard at least regular using for example faster Google Chrome using, surfing on the Internet, copying files etc. My system memory/RAM speed seems to be OK. The main problem is processor. I think T6600 or T9500 will be enough for it.

1) Core Duo is NOT Core 2, it is mobile chip that worked in 478 with tricks, and i don't ever remember those tricks working in official Intel mobos.
2) Core Duo chips (T2050 and such) will have bad perf if not overclocked, which your board won't allow. And even when OCed they will be slower than E6400 + mobo combo that go for peanuts these days.

Yes. I was wrong, but T5250 is Core 2 Duo. Game-debate says it will be OK. Really it will be OK? If T5250 is OK, can I use T6600 or T9500? T2050 and T5250 aren't worth to pay and use, I said it before. But T6600 or T9500 seem to be far more better than my Pentium 4.

Last edited:

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
again, your motherboard is not compatible with core duo, not even Dothan pentium M,
your motherboard will only take old single core socket 478 pentium 4, it can't take newer mobile socket 478(479) CPUs like Core Duo/core 2 duo, those sockets are not physically the same and your board is not compatible with those.
best you can take is a higher clocked Pentium 4, it will barely change things since you are already running a 3Ghz one with HT, no real upgrade is possible without changing the motherboard.

your chipset might be compatible with newer CPUs, your motherboard is not, some LGA 775 motherboards were made with this chipset, that doesn't mean your motherboard can take LGA 775 CPUs, same for the Core Duo

Charlie22911

Mar 19, 2005
I have Intel D865GLC motherboard. It has mPGA478 socket and Pentium 4 3 GHZ HT processor. My processor isn't enough for even daily use. Thus, I want to change it. Firstly, I looked for Intel's official support webpage.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards/000006655.html

In there, maximum support of my motherboard is Pentium 4 Extreme Edition 3.4 GHz and 2 MB L3 Cache. Finding this processor is fairly difficult. There are only 1-2 Pentium 4 Extreme Edition 3.4 GHz on the online shopping and the cheapest is 299 USD. This is quite expensive, so there is only a choice. Core 2 Duo. I looked a lot of webpages, but I haven't managed to find any precise info yet. Someone says take risk and try it, other one says definitely not work, other one says mechanically fit but electrically not fit. I don't know what should I do against these answers. Finally, I looked Game-Debate. Game-Debate says several of Core 2 Duo's will fit D865GLC. (T2050 and T5250.)

http://www.game-debate.com/motherboard/index.php?mot_id=1307&cpuList=Intel D865GLC

Although this, I'm still not sure about Core 2 Duo compability of D865GLC. Thus, I also looked chipset infos. My chipset is 865G. I looked for CPU compability of my chipset. In wikipedia, my chipset seems support the Core 2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...m_4-M.2FPentium_M.2FCeleron_M_mobile_chipsets

http://i68.tinypic.com/2m6rgah.jpg

Is chipset important for processor compability of motherboard? And finally, Game-Debate says Core 2 Duo T2050 and T5250 will fit D865GLC I said it above. We assume it is correct. However, T2050 and T5250 aren't worth to pay them. Their clock speeds and caches are low. T6600 and T9500 are using the same socket with T2050 and T5250. Thus, can I use T6600 or T9500? T6600 and T9500 use 35 W power. My Pentium 4 uses 85 W power. Are motherboard and socket defining power for processor? In addition to this, will my motherboard be damaged if Core 2 duo doesn't work on my mother board? Or will life of my mobo be reduced? Thanks answers for anyway.

Note: Please don't answer like 'Buy new motherboard or new system.' I'm fine for my motherboard. I want to upgrade it to the its maximum degree.

To be honest your system is outclassed by high end smart phones, and since you state you aren't happy with performance you'd be better served by really *anything* else. Even an AM2/AM3 board and compatible CPU of almost any SKU would be quite a bit better.
If you'd like to maybe go that route I'd be more than happy to hunt down some potential items, but I can't be bothered to try if you want to stay with what you have.

kirbyrj

Aug 5, 2017
Even if the 3.4Ghz EE chips are $300, you can probably get a 3.2Ghz chip for less than $15 if you shop around.

If you spend more than $15 on that setup, you're wasting money as you can get into a LGA775 Q6600 setup for cheap which will run circles around that P4 Northwood.

Reactions: scannall

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Give it a rest, and stop being so stupidfoolish. What, you still want to run XP on it too?

Edit: Buy a pre-built quad-core Sandy / Ivy rig for $150 on ebay, with COA or OS pre-installed. If you're lucky, you can find one for $120.

Edit: To elaborate, upgrading technology within the same generation, only gets you so far. If you want a significant performance increase, then you need to move to a newer generation of technology altogether.

To move from a P4 w/HT 3.0Ghz, to a quad-core i5-3470 3.2Ghz machine, would be like going to light-speed for you, and IMHO well worth it (if you can afford $150 USD).

If not, even a $50 3.0Ghz Core2Duo E8400-based rig, with 8GB of RAM and a HDD, would be somewhat of an improvement.

Last edited: