Cord Cutters - Ad Skipping

Who allows real ad skipping on their cloud DVR service?

• Hulu Live

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • DirecTV Now

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Youtube TV

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Sling TV

• Playstaion Vue

• Someone Else...

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

GobBluth

Sep 18, 2012
Hulu Live subscriber here. My biggest bitch about the service is that if I want to watch something that is in my DVR, for example, it's Monday, and I want to watch the Browns game from yesterday, I still cannot FF through commercials! I get it, if it is live, you get the ads, but if it is recorded... I should be able to FF past ads, right?.

Is there a service that actually allows this?

I was a DirecTV customer for 11 years, and loved everything about it until they merged with AT&T and my bill shot up to ~$170/mo.

Again, I just want a DVR that lets me watch my recordings and FF through commercials. Taking any and all recommendations.

Cheers,

GB

Nov 8, 2012
How does it not let you FF? Like... if you watch a movie halfway through and have to turn it off, you have to start over and can't FF to your mid point?

Either way I've honestly just gotten to a point where I don't care for live sports anymore.

GobBluth

Sep 18, 2012
How does it not let you FF? Like... if you watch a movie halfway through and have to turn it off, you have to start over and can't FF to your mid point?

Either way I've honestly just gotten to a point where I don't care for live sports anymore.
Okay, forget live sports. It's any show. In your example, if you did that, you could FF to where you left off, but its going to make you watch a mandator 180 second commercial spree before it plays. Then, you have to watch every commercial break in between as the movie goes on.

If you are watching a recording on Hulu Live and its commercial time and you press FF it tells you "You cannot use this function while the ad is playing". So Hulu offered an "Ad-free" expansion for another $5/mo, and same deal. Basically there is no ad skipping, anywhere, that I can find.

Nov 8, 2012
Okay, forget live sports. It's any show. In your example, if you did that, you could FF to where you left off, but its going to make you watch a mandator 180 second commercial spree before it plays. Then, you have to watch every commercial break in between as the movie goes on.

If you are watching a recording on Hulu Live and its commercial time and you press FF it tells you "You cannot use this function while the ad is playing". So Hulu offered an "Ad-free" expansion for another $5/mo, and same deal. Basically there is no ad skipping, anywhere, that I can find.

Hulu is mostly owned by the likes of cable giants as a joint venture (Comcast/NBC + Disney/ABC/ESPN) - So honestly, that doesn't surprise me. I would honestly try to just drop Hulu and find another streaming service such as Netflix that doesn't have the evils of cable companies.

If you want to actually "cut the cord" and tell cable companies to screw off - going to their other owned asset probably isn't a good idea.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
I have Fubo and they allow skipping recorded commercials. The nice thing with them is you can skip in any multiple of 15 seconds.

Not really cloud, but Amazon is testing auto-commercial skipping on their Recast OTA DVR.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Hulu = adds for sports content and other cloud content that they hold. Don't like it, you need some other service.

They are pretty much a network-owned entity, so it shouldn't be all that surprising

Nov 29, 2006
Tivo roamio OTA with subscription let's you do this. Assuming you live in a good antenna location and what you want is OTA channel wise.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
With Vue as far as I remember it was a "it depends" kind of thing. Some channels would let you FF commercials and some wouldn't on your DVR. I'm using Sling now and so far I think everything has let me FF commercials but I haven't really been recording much yet since I switched. I'm guessing it will work like Vue.

Mar 11, 2004
I don't know how I managed it but my adblocker skips most of Hulu's ads. Granted that's on PC via browser so not sure it'd be possible using a streaming device.

Could maybe look into Pi Hole or something like that.

As for what other services, no clue. Doubt there are any that you won't pay out the ass and have other issues with (like cable DVRs). Is subscribing to NFL (Sunday Ticket?) still a total shitshow stuck with DirecTV (and I think was possible on Playstation some)?

Removed text

Hulu = adds for sports content and other cloud content that they hold. Don't like it, you need some other service.

They are pretty much a network-owned entity, so it shouldn't be all that surprising

He knows this, that's why he's asking what service will let him skip.

Don't do that.

AT Moderator ElFenix

Last edited by a moderator:

TXHokie

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 1999
I have Sling and it only let me FF on shows or sport events that I recorded (the PVR option is $5 for 50 hrs). If it's On-Demand stuffs, some stuffs you can FF and others you can't. I don't have that much time to watch TV so when I do, I'm not going to waste time on commercials.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Tivo roamio OTA with subscription let's you do this. Assuming you live in a good antenna location and what you want is OTA channel wise.

For OTA, most DVRs will let you FF. There's also Comskip:

But I'm not sure what it integrates with easily.

For streaming services, their ads, their rules. :(

A Casual Fitz

Diamond Member
May 16, 2005
If I'm paying for it, I need the ability to skip ads... period.

I use MLB.TV and typically start the game a half hour late so I can "catch up" by the end via skipping commercial breaks.