Copying Camera Pics to PC, Win 7

spacelord

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2002
What is the best method for copying camera pictures from a memory card to my PC? On XP I used a program called Cam2Pc. It hasn't been updated since 2007. I was thinking of Picasa but was wondering if there was a better freeware alternative?

I like to put the card in.. type quick description for what was in those pictures, and have them all move under a predefined folder from the memory card.

Thanks.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
The best way is to get a reader/writer (USB) for your card. No software is needed. You can move image files from media to PC HDD and rename them anything you want as long as the extension stays.

I do all of the above with Windows Exploere. Any image editing I do in Irfanview. (free)

thatsright

Diamond Member
May 1, 2001
The best way is to get a reader/writer (USB) for your card. No software is needed. You can move image files from media to PC HDD and rename them anything you want as long as the extension stays.

I do all of the above with Windows Exploere. Any image editing I do in Irfanview. (free)

I agree. I prefer to use a external card reader. Much easier and I don't need to connect the camera to d/l the pics (and more importantly, waste the camera battery). In my experience I got MUCH BETTER transfer results using the SanDisk Extreme USB card reader. It was about $30 when I bought it, but totally worth it as I got noticeably faster transfer times. Of course, it depends to a degree on how fast the CF/SD card is itself.

You don't need additional software to move your pictures. My work flow is very simple when it comes to getting the pics off the camera and organized. I create a new folder on my external HD and then for name, I'll give the date and name of the event. i.e. '12-13-09 - At Gillette stadium - Pats game.' This way in the future I can find it by the date, or more often the event name. I will then create a new folder within this main one for the better photos/keepers.

Just a thought.

spacelord

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2002
Thats similar to what I do. I always put the mem card into a reader. Cam2Pc was real simple.. I put the card in the reader.. the default action for the mem card was run Cam2Pc and it would prombt for a description.. then automatically create a folder with the date and description then move the images there.

edit: I used the Win 7 picture importer. Worked fine. I'm sure there's more new goodies I need to learn about in Win 7.

Last edited: