Copying a genuine disc

hypnobiz

Sep 25, 2012
Hi, sorry for what is likely a mundane question for you guys, I am not a gamer as such I just bought a sims 2 DVD for PC and I'm aware that games are copy protected but as this is an older game and my pc doesn't play sims 3 i wanted to know if there is a way to make a hard copy of my original DVD disc in case it gets damaged.

Cheers,

Andy
Ps, I did have a look but couldn't find a thread on this so I appologise if there already was one.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I haven't copied discs in years, but I remember I use to use CloneCD when I wanted a perfect copy of a disc.

gladiatorua

Nov 21, 2011
Daemon tools.
Lite version is free and should accomplish the task. mdf format supports copying protection data.
Or just copy-paste + nocd.

Feb 4, 2009
If you've already paid for it just hit a torrent site. There is nothing unethical about that in this case.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
If you've already paid for it just hit a torrent site. There is nothing unethical about that in this case.

True, but perhaps he just wants a disc for the sake of having a disc. If you have a slow internet connection then torrenting the game can take a while, and if something goes awry then it's nice to have a local copy of the game already prepared and ready to go.

Suggestions seem pretty good so far. It's been a few years since I've copied a disc myself, but I seem to remember Daemon Tools doing it pretty well.

greenhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2011

probably nothing unethical, but depending on a person's country's laws, can still be illegal.

OP, one of the reasons there is no threads about it is it would be against the rules of the forum to descuss ways around DRM which is what you need to do to get a copy done.

Unfortunitly, even if you do get around the DRM, most games can detect it is not a original game disk so your game will not run anyway (so need to find cracks for the game anyway).

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

Unethical, no. Illegal, yes. Torrents upload at the same time they download, and that is most definitely illegal cuz you are giving other people something they dont own.

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
Unethical, no. Illegal, yes. Torrents upload at the same time they download, and that is most definitely illegal cuz you are giving other people something they dont own.
So if he disables "uploading" in his torrent client and only downloads, he's good to go?

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
imgburn > create .iso from disk. From there you can burn to CD, and you can also just mount that image with alchohol 52% or whatever program you like to mount the img and run from your computer if you need it. Probably faster read speeds this way too.

festa_freak

Dec 2, 2011
Img burn works well. I used to use a simple one click imager I think named iso creator or something. try the free ones (make sure to not install Ask toolbar :p) and see what works.

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
Another vote for imgburn.

Also, does Daemon tools copy discs? I thought it was only for mounting and decrypting image files?

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008

I am sure there are torrents for just the "cracked" file to enable no disc. I am not sure the legality of just a cracked executable being shared though.