Copy protected CDs

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
I've just got The Darkness' CD (very good album btw), first I've seen with Copy Protection.

Now, I have all my music on my computer, so I can access it anywhere in the house from my laptop and soon-to-be-made HTPC, so naturally I wanted to put this on my computer.

But wait, you say, it's copy protected, you won't be able to copy it, right?

Wrong! EAC was able to copy it, granted at 0.4x (rather than the 30x I normally get!) and it's almost perfect, except for a split second gap at about 9.5 seconds.

EAC + Copy protected CDs = <3

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
Originally posted by: DanTMWTMP
ooof...0.4X.. ;)

Well I wasn't using the computer overnight when I did it, so I couldn't care less how slow it was! ;)

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Confused
ooof...0.4X.. ;)

Well I wasn't using the computer overnight when I did it, so I couldn't care less how slow it was! ;)

holy sh!t.!!! i thought u made a typo..but REALLY 0.4x?!?!...aha is there such a speed?!...dang...ahhahha ic..mang...

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
ooof...0.4X.. ;)

holy sh!t.!!! i thought u made a typo..but REALLY 0.4x?!?!...aha is there such a speed?!...dang...ahhahha ic..mang...

Nope, no typo! :eek:

I have had a REALLY scratched CD go at 0.1x for a bit, but I gave up on that and downloaded those tracks from the net, however they're crap quality compared to my rips (I rip in 160k VBR Ogg Vorbis, these were 128CBR MP3 :()

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
Copy protection pisses off a group of buyers who actually payed money for it while wanting to play music on their PCs, and doesn't affect those who want the music illegally, as those people just download it or use a better ripping program instead.

I only listen to the actual CD in the store, and maybe a little while on my PC before the ripping takes place. After that it's put on one of the CD stacks somewhere in my room, and will remain there for the next few years at least.

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Oscar1613
did you try the marker on the outside edge trick?

What's that? I've never heard of that before?

Link, guide etc?? :)

Confused

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
yea, i was kinda shocked back then when i easily ripped my "copy protected" cd with eac:p not so bad eh? :) i'm pretty sure it went faster then.4x though. maybe its your drive.

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Oscar1613
did you try the marker on the outside edge trick?

What's that? I've never heard of that before?

Link, guide etc?? :)

Confused

One of the first attempts at copy protecting CDs concerned a visible outer ring containing faulty data, which a lot of PCs would crash on. Putting a black line through it or scratching that part would make a PC ignore the whole copy protection part and it would read the rest of the CD normally.

There are more recent attempts which work in slightly different ways, so you may want to be careful with scratching the CD if you have ripped it already anyway.

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
you can rip 30x w/ eac... is that rip while encoding???

anyway.... yeah, fast and furious sound track was supposedly copy protected, i got a free cd.. and tried to copy it. eac did it at my normal speeds w/o a hitch ;)

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
I just use Nero. It copies anything.
It told me my copy of WCIII failed buit it works great :)

Now the original is sitting in the collectors box collecting dust.

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
Originally posted by: lnguyen
you can rip 30x w/ eac... is that rip while encoding???

anyway.... yeah, fast and furious sound track was supposedly copy protected, i got a free cd.. and tried to copy it. eac did it at my normal speeds w/o a hitch ;)

30x is with my NEC 16x DVD drive. It rips to WAV then external compressor to Vorbis :)

0roo0roo, this was with my Dell laptop's 8x DVD drive, so with a faster/better drive (like my NEC one - but I was swapping out an IBM 80gb 2mb 7200rpm drive for a WD:SE 80gb 2mb 7200rpm drive at the time), I may have got it faster. In normal CDs, it was doing about 6x.

Confused