Cops to be given flashlight that 'incapacitates' from Homeland security

vhx

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2006
Kind of last week but didn't see anything about it here. Thought it was interesting, they have a video of it as well on the right part of the page.

http://cbs13.com/national/flas...on.crowd.2.645991.html

LOS ANGELES (CBS13) ? It looks like a normal flashlight, but Homeland Security has paid close to a million dollars for it. It can stop you right in your tracks.

Law enforcement is already calling it "controversial."

The point of this device is to disorient you, so we modified the video when we showed it on air. If you wish to see the unmodified footage of the device in action, you can click here -- but be warned, you may find the experience uncomfortable.

For riots and chaotic situations, police often use tasers, rubber bullets and pepper spray to try and control the crowd. But there could soon be a new weapon in their arsenal: a hi-tech flashlight with a big punch.

"Flashblindness, the 'Oh my gosh this light is really bright, I can't see anything behind it.' That effect is immediate for everybody," said Bob Lieberman, president of Intelligent Optical Systems.

Nausea and a feeling of disorientation soon follow. The device is called the "LED Incapacitator." Intelligent Optical Systems is the company building it right here in California, thanks to an $800,000 contract from Homeland Security.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Seems pretty tame to me. Of course, the day will come when street lamps are fitted with these, in order to enforce our curfews.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Would citizens wearing dark glasses be subject to arrest? Like they are for wearing gas masks, helmets, flack jackets, etc, ahh, west coast demonstrations?

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
This seems like a really stupid idea. I can see how it might be mildly uncomfortable and disorienting, but point that at someone who's intent on causing harm, and it's not going to stop them the way a taser or other less lethal weapon would. When they demonstrated it on the reporter, she looked slight disoriented...but she kept talking and kept her eyes open for quite a while...certainly long enough for someone to charge the user of the light and knock it away.

Personally I dislike less lethal law enforcement technology in general, mostly because it encourages overuse. But this seems like a bad idea from a practical perspective as well...it gives a false sense of security.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Is there video anywhere of just the device operating? I don't want to sit through their whole damn news story (clicking the "be warned" link just shows the full broadcast), and wait for it to download on my slow connection. (RR Lite = SLOW, like 10KB/sec slow.)

.....And after the long wait, they don't even show it.:roll:

I love the media hype it gets - "a real-life light saber?"
Yeah, one that can't hit people, can't deflect laser blasts, and can't cut anything. It's as much of a lightsaber as is a toothbrush.

"Use the Crest, Luke!"

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Rainsford
This seems like a really stupid idea. I can see how it might be mildly uncomfortable and disorienting, but point that at someone who's intent on causing harm, and it's not going to stop them the way a taser or other less lethal weapon would. When they demonstrated it on the reporter, she looked slight disoriented...but she kept talking and kept her eyes open for quite a while...certainly long enough for someone to charge the user of the light and knock it away.
The idea is that it saturates the photoreceptors so you can't see anything. It's a completely temporary effect as some crazy neuroscientist back in the 70's showed by staring into his headlights for hours on end in an effort to blind himself. Thus, I think the idea that it "disorients" you is a bit misleading, since the true goal is to render you temporarily blinded since this will usually halt you in your tracks.
Personally I dislike less lethal law enforcement technology in general, mostly because it encourages overuse. But this seems like a bad idea from a practical perspective as well...it gives a false sense of security.
Agreed.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Nebor
Seems pretty tame to me. Of course, the day will come when street lamps are fitted with these, in order to enforce our curfews.
Hell, nebor, that is proactive thinking. I like it.

I just watched the video and puked up a child.

I wonder how well it will work. Probably not as well as dogs and rubber bullets.

glugglug

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
The problem with regular dark sunglasses is that since your eyes are dilated with them on, you'll still experience the same effect from the sudden bright light. I wonder if any of the new photochromic lenses adjusts rapidly enough for this though. And if so, I need to get me some for driving, as the HID headlights which should be illegal become more and more common. Plus the new OLED green lights and walk signals in this city are way the h!ll too bright. (Yes, the green lights are so damn bright they obstruct your view of the road).

glugglug

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
I wonder how many lawsuits will come from this. Not only from traffic accidents caused in the vicinity, but from epileptic seizures triggered by the lights as well.