Cops beat unarmed man who was just talking on the phone

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
From what I've seen, yes, I don't think he should be out on the streets, but I'm also on the idea that you still need to see both sides before an absolute decision can be made. There are always two sides to the story. Whether the other side has any value or not, has yet to be seen though. Sometimes it's all perspective...

Give me a break, if a video of a normal person doing that surfaced they would be immediately arrested no matter what kind of self-defense story they tried to spin. Sure there would be an investigation but the only way he doesn't sit in jail for the entirety of that investigation is if he pays bail to get out. He doesn't get paid while the investigation unfolds. Sure in most cases I agree that the way it currently works is necessary, this is not one of those times though. There is absolutely zero excuse for the officers behavior and you know it. You don't get to just absolutely pummel a guy who, by the admission of the police themselves, was not being violent and had his freaking hands by his side likely because one of the first punches knocked him out cold.

Beyond how fucked up it is, in general, it continues to erode the trust of the very people they are supposed to be serving. Every police officer should be just as disgusted with this behavior as I am because it hurts them. It pisses people off to the point of doing dumb shit that endangers LEO even more. We have seen it happen already and you'd be foolish to think that more isn't coming which is really bad for both sides, yes there are now sides and it is really sad.

As for the cloth around his face, my guess is that he was trying to spit on the officer that was to keep him from doing so. I kinda got that impression when they were first walking to the elevator and he turned to the officer and the officer then pushed him up against the elevator door while pushing his face away from him and then ended putting him down the on ground.

- Merg

I doubt that because if true the chief would have said so to try and excuse some of his officers behavior. Obviously I can't prove it and neither can you but I think my hypothesis has more merit.