Banned
Mar 2, 2000
I have a retail cb0 sl454 slot1 700e cpu w/ gorb

cpu/fx has them for 5.99 but shipping is about that much also

worth it?

tigerbait

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2001
I am wondering the same thing, except for socket A cpu's, the shims that are supposed to make the heatsink fit better. Is this worth ~$10.

DoOLiE11

Platinum Member
Dec 4, 2000
i dunno, i've been reading a lot of reviews onthem lmately, some say they are good some say they are pointless...but i have a super orb so eitehr way they are poointless for me to use unless i ground off the lip on the bottom of the orb...but on the general consensus all the reviews do say that they do help out in saving your chip.

DoOLiE11

Platinum Member
Dec 4, 2000
sorry for the double post but chinman75 the ones from cpu/fx i heard are really irregluar, i heard that thre thickness have a lot of variations u should get a tweakmosnter one and some of them are haveing free shipping.

check this out

ZeroBurn

Platinum Member
Jul 29, 2000
i wouldn't get a copper shim. their main purpose is to protect the fragile socket a chips, however if you're careful than most people don't have to worry about it.

the other arugment is that they help your cooling. that's unjustified, if anything it INCREASES your temperatures, by transferring heat back to the idle PCB board and thus sending heat back to the core of the cpu.

i wouldn't use one, and i don't think you'd need to worry about it too much either especially since you're using a 700e which won't crack as easily as a tbird :)