Cop shots cyclist in back

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
http://thefreethoughtproject.com/cop-shot-cyclist-sad/

Cop defends himself saying it was right after the LA Dorner manhunt, so he had a "heightened sense of officer safety". Guess that makes it OK then? After all, no charges against him.

According to federal court documents, Franco said that at the moment he shot the cyclist, Rendon was facing him, staring him down over the hood of the patrol car. Rendon was unarmed, but Franco said the young man raised his hands together, as if he was holding a pistol.

According to USA Today, the day Franco killed Rendon just happened to be one day after a funeral for his coworker, officer Michael Crane, who was killed by ex-officer Chris Dorner. USA Today states, “When Franco returned to patrol the next day, he had what investigators called a heightened sense of ‘officer safety.'”

Of course the city paid out about $2.6 million for a wrongful death lawsuit just last month, but the cop doesn't have to pay anything, so what does he care?

The cop claims the suspect raised his hands together, like he was holding a weapon. But expert witnesses said the suspect was shot twice in the back.

http://www.desertsun.com/story/news...rendo-shooting-lawsuit-indio-police/15351443/

Dr. Michael Baden, a retired medical examiner and forensic pathologist, and Ronald Scott, a retired ballistics expert from the Massachusetts State Police, both said Rendon's bullet wounds reveal he was shot from behind and below as he swung over the fence.

Despite testimony that questions Franco's version of the shooting, the Indio Police Department supported the officer's decision to fire on the cyclist. The Riverside County Sheriff's Department, which conducted a criminal investigation of the shooting, said their findings "corroborated" Franco's version of the shooting, according to a department statement.

http://www.desertsun.com/story/news/crime_courts/2015/06/18/alex-franco-indio-shooting/28939415/

Scott filed an independent report on the shooting, saying that Franco's version of the shooting simply could not be true. Rendon was not facing the cop who shot him, Scott said.

"The combination of Officer Franco's location when shooting in relation to where he alleges Mr. Rendon was standing produces a result which makes it a practical impossibility for either of these gunshot wounds to have occurred," Scott wrote.

Of course, the PD and DA all believed the cops lies, and he wasn't punished for killing an innocent man. Nice. Another bad apple right?]

Another cop blatantly lies on his official report despite forensics showing him to be lying, yet no criminal charges filed. Another cop with an official license to murder people given to him by the DA and the PD.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
ZDXe9ZF.png

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Not to mention the poor orphans who didn't get fed, since that's clearly the only reason Alejandro ran when stopped.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/06/19/police-officer-shot-fleeing-cyclist/28954263/
Franco decided to give Rendon a ticket, so he pulled a U-turn and began following the cyclist. Rendon, who had marijuana and methamphetamine in his system, and a pending warrant in a burglary case, began to flee. Rendon had a previous conviction for shoplifting, and was facing misdemeanor charges for trespassing and resisting arrest in a third court case.
Darwin Award.

On the plus side, at least cops have finally found a totally unsympathetic group to shoot. You guys must have some really obnoxious cyclists in your areas.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Not to mention the poor orphans who didn't get fed, since that's clearly the only reason Alejandro ran when stopped.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/06/19/police-officer-shot-fleeing-cyclist/28954263/

Darwin Award.

On the plus side, at least cops have finally found a totally unsympathetic group to shoot. You guys must have some really obnoxious cyclists in your areas.
You read the article?

Crap, I thought it was just the daily humor.:\

And I do bike when able...run lights, stop signs, pass on the right and whatever I can get away with without getting run over.

:smug;

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
We need Ackmed to come and explain how this is a good shoot, like all the other "good shoots" he defends. It is another minority that was killed, so he should have no problem defending this.

I mean, shooting a man twice in the back as he climbs a fence to get away from a cop is a justification for murder right?

Running from the cops is now a capital offense, and cops are allowed to render judgement (death) immediately now I guess, right?

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
We need Ackmed to come and explain how this is a good shoot, like all the other "good shoots" he defends. It is another minority that was killed, so he should have no problem defending this.

I mean, shooting a man twice in the back as he climbs a fence to get away from a cop is a justification for murder right?

Running from the cops is now a capital offense, and cops are allowed to render judgement (death) immediately now I guess, right?

Before we get too worked up, are we certain it wasn't cyclist hunting season? If we don't cull them, they really start causing problems.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Is there something you disagree with? I mean the guy was claerly shot in the back.

He wasn't threatening the officer, and the officer lied on his report.

Do you disagree?
Sometimes you just have to hold your nose and vote for the least evil. That's why I vote Democrat. In this case, shooting someone in the back and then lying about it is just a little less evil than being a cyclist.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
Poor Garfieldthecat, can't find anyone to argue with him. 90% of his posts in the forum in past few months are him trying to pick a fight rather than being anything of value to whatever is being discussed.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
You read the article?

Crap, I thought it was just the daily humor.:\

And I do bike when able...run lights, stop signs, pass on the right and whatever I can get away with without getting run over.

:smug;
Nah, the OP's links were puff pieces. I simply Googled the name to find out why he ran.

Remember, if you're a cyclist then it's open season on you for cops and Dank.

Before we get too worked up, are we certain it wasn't cyclist hunting season? If we don't cull them, they really start causing problems.
:D +1

Passed a cyclist on my way to work. Had to slow down to twenty or so on a 50 mph stretch to safely pass him on the narrow shoulder. On a scale of 1 to 10, I was aggravated 0. YMMV.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Passed a cyclist on my way to work. Had to slow down to twenty or so on a 50 mph stretch to safely pass him on the narrow shoulder. On a scale of 1 to 10, I was aggravated 0. YMMV.
You probably should seek professional help for that. Seriously.

:p

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Nah, the OP's links were puff pieces. I simply Googled the name to find out why he ran.

Remember, if you're a cyclist then it's open season on you for cops and Dank.

:D +1

20 in a 50? That fucker would have been wearing my coffee.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
You probably should seek professional help for that. Seriously.

:p
:D Under the ACA, I probably could get psych treatment to help me become more aggravated by cyclists. "Everybody else is so pissed off and I'm not - I feel alienated!"

20 in a 50? That fucker would have been wearing my coffee.
:D He was already wearing about sixty-seven colors, and I certainly did not want to see that skintight contraption covering his scrawny body become transparent lest I arrive at work wearing my breakfast.

The only time they really annoy me is when there's a "race" and whole herds of them descend on the streets, including mouse potatoes like me who are pedalling about 1/2 mph and wobbling like a toddler.

HTFOff

Golden Member
Oct 3, 2013
Thread title reads like a verse

"cop shots, cyclists in back; shooting the breeze, counting my stack"

Belegost

Golden Member
Feb 20, 2001
:D Under the ACA, I probably could get psych treatment to help me become more aggravated by cyclists. "Everybody else is so pissed off and I'm not - I feel alienated!"

:D He was already wearing about sixty-seven colors, and I certainly did not want to see that skintight contraption covering his scrawny body become transparent lest I arrive at work wearing my breakfast.

The only time they really annoy me is when there's a "race" and whole herds of them descend on the streets, including mouse potatoes like me who are pedalling about 1/2 mph and wobbling like a toddler.

I happen to live with my back fence along street that gets frequent cycling races and marathons (3 cycling events and 2 marathons already since spring) there are times trying to get in/out I start thinking about ... well you know.