Cop shoots at snake, kills boy, 5

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NuroMancer

Golden Member
Nov 8, 2004
Wow, what a sad story.

rose.gif

May 16, 2000
This was a super bad choice and the cop (and whoever made the decision if it was someone else) needs to be held accountable. Animal control (which doesn't even always exist) is usually stretched super thin and only covers certain areas (for instance inside city limits). If it was necessary to bring the snake down and if it was dangerous then they should have done it differently, or at least more carefully.

When there was a rabid (or just insane) raccoon terrorizing my gf's dog and back yard guests we called everyone to get some help with it, but there was no official assistance available to her. So I called county dispatch to let them know I was going to be shooting it and to disregard any phone calls about gunshots. Then I had a couple of our guests go door to door around us to let the neighbors know there was about to be gunfire. I climbed onto the roof so that I could get a downward angle on the shot (the my excellent compatriot was up a tree at the time). I took the shot braced on the chimney stack so that I could be as stable as possible.

First shot from my 3 1/4" carry pistol took it halfway between the left eye and it's nose, dropping it out of the tree. I looked over the edge of the house and saw it trying to writhe away so I took a second shot and put it through the spine at the base of the head, killing it outright. Those shots were about 20-25', and 15' away, the second at a moving target, with a short barreled pistol - and I hit within an inch of where I was aiming both times.

Granted, I'm a good shot, but the cop in this incident should have been at least as careful...especially if he wasn't sure he was that good of a shot. It's certainly possible to shoot a snake out of a tree with a handgun, but take some precautions. No, bad choices all around, and they should be liable.

AMCRambler

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
I can see how the cop could have not known there was a pond back in the woods there with someone fishing in it. Think about it, you look around the tree and see nothing but trees and brush behind. You think "no houses, no people, I can try and shoot the snake". However beyond all the brush it's very possible there's a clearing with a pond. I've been fishing many times and bushwhacked my way through thick undergrowth to come across a pond that you can't see from the road.
Regardless, shooting a snake with a pistol is a bad idea. Should have called animal control. They are equipped to deal with snakes. This is pretty sad for all parties involved. The officer will like lose their job and the boy of course is now gone.

Kaspian

Golden Member
Aug 30, 2004
Originally posted by: vi_edit
Fired? I hope he faces criminal charges.

Any of us would. The fact that he's a cop should make him even more responsible for his actions.

True.

gamepad

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2005
I am extremely sorry for your family's loss, TravisT.

This story deeply saddens me.

rose.gif

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Man this is sad. But this is just a tragic accident. I don't think the cop actually did anything criminally wrong, it was just a bad accident.

mortong

Apr 14, 2006
Originally posted by: JeffreyLebowski
OK, the Grandfather has the right to be angry, but the cop can't be charged with murder. Murder implies intent. The cop didn't have any intent to kill the kid. Why the hell they were firing pistols is beyond me though. Just take out the shotgun, point blank on the snake into the stump and you're done and no one gets hurt.

By filing criminal charges against the officer all you're going to accomplish is ruining the lives of a second family. Putting him in jail is not the answer. Should he be removed from duty, Absolutely, he was wreckless with his weapon. He has the rest of his life to deal with how this will affect him mentally (though it might not be that long).
At most he would get negligent homicide, which is not murder.

No, it's called manslaughter. You can do a few years for it. Putting him in jail will not only accomplish "ruining" his family. Any other person would face manslaughter charges in the same situation. It's too bad the the lives of the cop's family would be ruined by pressing charges, but that's a stupid way to look at it. It was the cop's actions that ruined the lives of th the little boy; I just hope there's some justice and he goes to prison for a few years for manslaughter. We don't need stupid people like this as police or on the streets. Maybe a few years will teach him not to pull out his gun and fire away without thinking next time.

mortong

Apr 14, 2006
Originally posted by: jandrews
lmao charged with what? Maybe wreckless endangerment at most but certainly not manslaughter. This is just a ridiculous series of events that ended very badly.

Wow, you're pretty sure of yourself even though you have no clue what you're talking about. Gun laws in most states base gun-related manslaughter charges on your knowledge of what's behind your target. Don't pay attention to the little boy behind the target and kill the kid? Guess what, you're going to be charged with manslaughter. This wasn't just an unfortunate situation that ended badly, this could be a textbook example of Manslaughter.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
Involuntary Manslaughter IMO.

And he should be charged, regardless of his status or who he is.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
I'm sorry for your loss, TravisT. :(
rose.gif

He needs to be charged, convicted, sent to jail and stripped of his job, at minimum.
At minimum? What else can you do?

Originally posted by: lokiju
Involuntary Manslaughter IMO.

And he should be charged, regardless of his status or who he is.

I'm not sure about other states, but in NH, you would be correct.

630:2 Manslaughter. ?
I. A person is guilty of manslaughter when he causes the death of another:
(a) Under the influence of extreme mental or emotional disturbance caused by extreme provocation but which would otherwise constitute murder; or
(b) Recklessly.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Don't most cops have a shotgun in their trunks?

I'd like my chances better with a shotgun and I'd sure try to shoot at an elevated angle.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
He's a cop. You'll be lucky if he's even charged. All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Squisher
Don't most cops have a shotgun in their trunks?

I'd like my chances better with a shotgun and I'd sure try to shoot at an elevated angle.

you know whats better for shooting at a snake in a tree? a fucking shovel.

Journer

Banned
Jun 30, 2005
what a stupid cop. there is a reason why we have animal control. he needs to be locked away for stupidity

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
Originally posted by: JeffreyLebowski
OK, the Grandfather has the right to be angry, but the cop can't be charged with murder. Murder implies intent. The cop didn't have any intent to kill the kid. Why the hell they were firing pistols is beyond me though. Just take out the shotgun, point blank on the snake into the stump and you're done and no one gets hurt.

By filing criminal charges against the officer all you're going to accomplish is ruining the lives of a second family. Putting him in jail is not the answer. Should he be removed from duty, Absolutely, he was wreckless with his weapon. He has the rest of his life to deal with how this will affect him mentally (though it might not be that long).
At most he would get negligent homicide, which is not murder.

:thumbsup:

TravisT

Golden Member
Sep 6, 2002
I'm sorry I actually haven't gotten back here sooner to respond. Things have been so hectic. But trust me, all the kind words means a lot. The police officer's name, although it was given to us already, is not being disclosed by the police department. Essentially, they are wanting the communities interest to die out before they proceed with what should be the punishment. It is really frusterating for us. Nothing else has changed much, we're trying to keep my sister, brother-in-law, and nephew (Dalton) busy to hopefully take some of their mind off the situation. My sister will be going abck to teaching school on the first day, tomorrow, and Jack (her husband, my brother-in-law) will be going back to work on Monday. It is still really tough for them and obviously everything we do and see reminds them of him. I guess time will help heal.... its all we can pray for.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
sheesh. of course they want to drag it out as much as possible. only way they are going to do something fast is if it stays in the news.

really sad and infurating story actually.

figured they would have either fired or charged the cop by now.

GenHoth

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2007
Originally posted by: waggy
Originally posted by: Phokus
What a dumbass... isn't it animal control's job to take the snake out of the tree anyway?

why take the snake out of the tree?

why kill the snake?

IF you want to kill it why not get a stick or something.

People need to stop being retarded with weapons ;)