Cop shoots 5 kittens while children look in horror

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
Is this becoming the norm now with cops? It seems they are so anxious to use their guns they find any excuse to fire them off at anything. This is really disturbing to me. People who abuse or kill animals generally fit a DSM-IV criteria for psychotic behavior. I have taken in feral kittens myself in the past, yes they hiss, but they are totally harmless and they can be tamed if you work with them. If any civilian did this they would be in jail for animal cruelty.

http://www.wkyc.com/news/article/302822/45/SPCA-wants-humane-officer-who-shot-kittens-fired

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Feral cats and shelters were full.

One has to read the article to get the full story -not the sensationalism headlines

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013

One has to read the article to get the full story -not the sensationalism headlines

Actually that is not quite true, and there was no need to shoot them with a gun in front of children. There are a number of no kill facilities at around that area, the article fails to mention this. One of the no kill shelters is "hooves and paws" and I forget what the other one is called.

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002

And that justifies shooting them in front of kids? How about loading them into a carrier and taking them to a vet to be euthanized.

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
And that justifies shooting them in front of kids? How about loading them into a carrier and taking them to a vet to be euthanized.

Exactly, but as I said there are some no kill shelters around that area.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Exactly, but as I said there are some no kill shelters around that area.

At the rate feral cats can breed, I wouldn't be surprised if even those become full.

But I do question why people don't just leave them alone. Without feeding them their population should be quite thin / spread out.

Oh, and from my personal experience you can catch them at 5-months and still turn them into very loving house cats.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Kids can handle the sight of animal deaths.

The problem here is the commentary begins with "Is this becoming the norm now with cops? It seems they are so anxious to use their guns they find any excuse to fire them off at anything. This is really disturbing to me. People who abuse or kill animals generally fit a DSM-IV criteria for psychotic behavior."

Your commentary sucks balls.

The real problem here is how we categorize animals based on their "cuteness" as to which ones can be killed and which cannot be killed. Cuteness is subjective.

Wild boar living in the backyard, cop shoots it, Oldgamer agrees it is the right thing to do. Deer injured in a car crash by the side of the road, cop shoots it, Oldgamer agrees it is the right thing to do. Kitten is shot, and all of a sudden it is an out of control police force full of psychopaths.

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002

The problem here is the commentary begins with "Is this becoming the norm now with cops? It seems they are so anxious to use their guns they find any excuse to fire them off at anything. This is really disturbing to me. People who abuse or kill animals generally fit a DSM-IV criteria for psychotic behavior."

The real problem here is how we categorize animals based on their "cuteness" as to which ones can be killed and which cannot be killed. Cuteness is subjective.

Wild boar living in the backyard, cop shoots it, Oldgamer agrees it is the right thing to do. Deer injured in a car crash by the side of the road, cop shoots it, Oldgamer agrees it is the right thing to do. Kitten is shot, and all of a sudden it is an out of control police force full of psychopaths.

Actually it's pretty cut and dry. Animals that are common pets (cats/dogs) shouldn't be shot in front of kids. It wouldn't be that much effort to take them to have them properly euthanized.

I've shot feral cats before, but I certainly wouldn't do it in front of a crowd.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
If the kittens had to be destroyed because there was no place for them, I have no problem with that. I do have a problem with doing it in front of the kids. Take them to a vet, or to some other place where they can do what needs to be done without needlessly impacting the kids.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

Didn't Game of Thrones teach you that boar can be dangerous? Deer... depends, it's apparently mortally wounded if it can't escape you.

If the feral mother was killed or the kittens otherwise abandoned and too young to survive... now that's a problem that needs to be dealt with. The only logical ending may even be their deaths.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000

"Cuteness" is a evolutionary and we are genetically hardcoded to take care of cute.

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
Were these liberal kids? Could have been an easy lesson in quick abortions.

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
At the rate feral cats can breed, I wouldn't be surprised if even those become full.

But I do question why people don't just leave them alone. Without feeding them their population should be quite thin / spread out.

Oh, and from my personal experience you can catch them at 5-months and still turn them into very loving house cats.

I have done the same thing. We had feral kittens under our porch, I pulled them out hissing and all, they had to have been 10-12 weeks old maybe younger. We bottle fed them, they still hissed, lol. but we gave two away after having them about a month, and kept one. She turned out to be a sweet cat when she was full grown. You csn tame feral kittens.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Nope, sorry, that was unnecessary. Should have been gassed back at the pound or at least shot out in the middle of nowhere. Discharging a weapon in the city was a bad idea. Even worse in front of people.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
You put them in a box and go stand infront of a grocery store. They will be adopted in no time.

yottabit

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2008
I think it's fine TBH. Yeah there should have been better communication. They agreed for them to be euthanized, yeah it's a little dose of harsh reality but maybe killing things should have some trauma associated with it.

Having them euthanized at a vet with no one making the decision being witness is akin to politicians who love to "fight" wars. Believe me there are some people who are all too happy to take a pet to the vet to get put down.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011

Sure, but not when some pig comes in and shoots them right in front of the kids for no reason.

There is also a difference between a wild boar and an 8 week old kitten, I hope you can see how they are dissimilar. As for the deer, if it got hit by a car the humane thing to do would be to kill it, as to not prolong its suffering.

bradley

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2000
Why not just line those little kittens heads up with duct tape. All it would take is one clean shot, far less traumatizing. Jeeze at some of the opinions already in this thread.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Sure, but not when some pig comes in and shoots them right in front of the kids for no reason.

There is also a difference between a wild boar and an 8 week old kitten, I hope you can see how they are dissimilar. As for the deer, if it got hit by a car the humane thing to do would be to kill it, as to not prolong its suffering.

So then you agree that the act of shooting an animal does not make someone a psychopath?

It's interesting pretty much we all agree that the humane thing to do with a wounded deer is to kill it immediately to not prolong its suffering. The cats would have been handed over to a shelter where the shelter would have killed them. The officer decided to take care of the business right then and there.

For the children around, they'll get over it. If they had formed emotional attachments to these animals the mother would not have agreed to have them removed from the property and killed (she did agree to that). I bet once Spongebob came on the television they forgot all about the kittens in the back yard. Except for the mother who I will assume is getting calls from lawyers wanting to profit off this incident.

Last edited:

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
And just a reminder to those who are so up in arms this was done in front of children, the article clearly says:

The complainant explained she felt overwhelmed due to the fact that her children were inside the residence and heard the gunshots.
The children were inside the house, heard the gunshots, were not outside watching the officer as he shot the animals.

Apr 12, 2010
We have an over population of humans that haven't been fixed & continue to breed. Let's put them down too.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013

I agree. Euthanizing the cats seems appropriate in that scenario, but shooting them in their backyard was just plain weird. I've never heard of wild animals being killed on people's property unless they represent a direct and immediate danger.