Cooling my i5 2500k overclocked

computerbuildin

Nov 23, 2011
I was thinking a high end cooler. between these.

Coolermaster v8

or

Thermal take Bigwater 760 plus.

What my question is, what cooler would give me better temps? I know ones liquid and one is air, but the air one is high end and all, and this liquid one is a all in one. The bigwater is 100$ more, but im not sure if this is worth it, or what would last longer etc. I do like the liquid cooler better because of its all-in-one easy setup, and that its alot smaller than a air cooler hanging off of a mobo. Not only that I think liquid cooling looks cooler than air cooling, so much cool in that sentence. Anyway, im not so educated in the liquid department, so another question I had is, does the CPU still need thermal paste with it? Also forgot to mention, I may have this OC'd to around 4.0 GHz, I dont have this setup yet, im just doing the planning now.

Last edited:

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I've used the Coolermaster v8 on a overclocked Q9550 before and it worked pretty good.

I've never used the Bigwater and never would. Don't like the look of it is why :)

If you want an all in one water cooler look at the Corsair H series of coolers. The only downside is you gotta choose a compatable case for the Corsairs to mount the rad or I guess even the v8 as it's tall. The H100 is cheaper and most likely will work better in most situations as it'll get alot better airflow thru the rad. Case dependant of course.

Here's the Corsairs on newegg for your viewing pleasure. No maintenance required, pretty easy to install, thermal compound included is pretty decent also.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=100006648&isNodeId=1&Description=Corsair+liquid+cooler&x=0&y=0

The 2500k's overclock great and a little 4ghz overclock isn't gonna make alot of heat. Most likely you could get by with a Hyper 212+ for alot cheaper.

computerbuildin

Nov 23, 2011
ok thanks, im going to go with the v8, I have good clearance with my case. and 1 more question, tell me what you think for my post "phantom case and fans for cooling" I was going with the v8 too because it messes up the airflow of the case, sucking in from the back and all.

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
From pictures alone I could guess that the TT Bigwater is not exactly an efficient WC loop compared to something like a H80 or a H100. It may have a bigger pump but the radiator is small and in a restrictive position where the fan might recycle the hot air and just make it worse.

Get the CM V8 if that is all you could find but personally I like the Noctua NH-D14. Since you're aiming for a modest 4.0GHz, any of these heatsinks will do without any problems.

computerbuildin

Nov 23, 2011
I was looking for around a 4.0 GHz + Im new to the 2500k and not completely sure how fast its capable of, but from what ive heard 4.0 GHz is perfectly fine with it.

mrjoltcola

Sep 19, 2011
I have a 2500K that is 50x @ 1.43v on a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ EVO, under Prime95 it tops at 75C, but games at around 60C. The case is a HAF 912 (it was a budget build except the motherboard + chip) and that HAF case is great for airflow at that price or higher.

Granted, I cherry picked the chip from a handful, but still, you should be able to go 46x on the $35 Cooler Master EVO at lower voltage than mine.

fastamdman

Golden Member
Nov 18, 2011
I am also on a 2500k hyper 212+ and my 1.4vcore temps with the fan on silent setting, aka lowest rpm, are 60c load. There are different load temps of course obviously, I am talking about folding at home. If I run LinX the temps are a little higher.

Either way with the 212+ being 15 dollars after MIR, it only makes sense to buy it.

Unless you are using a 2600k and pushing the envelope of it like I do, I don't see why a hyper 212+ wouldn't be enough for someone. The 2600k does 56x by the way =D