cooling issues for barton 2500

Gravity

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2003
I'm running a Barton 2500 on a Gigabyte 7vaxp ultra. I have a thermaltake volcano 9 installed with the variable speed fan. I'm at 60 degrees C under load and edging up towards 62 degrees. I'm concerned and don't want to burn this barton. I have a thermaltake Xaser II case with 5 fans and a vantec stealth PS with the fan on High.

What else should I do to cool this bad boy? I'm only running at 1.8 ghz so it's not overclocked.

Thanks,

Gravity

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
If you have a shim between your CPU and heatsink, take that out and see what happens. Also, presumably you have the stepped end of the heatsink oriented to match the raised, solid-plastic end of the CPU socket?

Gravity

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2003
Yes, I did the install before the MB went into the box so I had plenty of room to work with. The Heat sink and fan are massive, very heavy and the clip is a bear to get fastened!!
Thx

MDE

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Take the heatsink off and reinstall it, and check your temps, also waht kind of thermal paste are you using?

Gravity

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2003
I took it apart and examined it. I recall that the paste was very watery when I installed it. It was no name paste I got from a shop for free. I mixed it better in the tube, squeezed out some samples and found that the consistency was much thicker in the middle of the tube. I then re-applied a thin layer to the processor, cleaned up the heatsink and reinstalled it all. Process took about 30 minutes. It's such a pita!!

So, I seem to be running about in the low 40's now. I'll play some ravenshield six and see if I can get it to rise a bit. I thought this heatsink/fan combo was very cool. I guess it's all in the application.

Also, any of you guys ever see or run the vapochill system? I've been interested in that but concerned about noise and condensation.

Thanks again!!

Gravity