Cooling/heating costs 1 story vs 2 story house

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Leros, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Leros

Leros Lifer

I'm looking at several of houses around 1300-1600 sqft. A couple of them are double story and the rest are single story.

The two story houses are roughly evenly split upstairs and downstairs. How much extra in terms of heating and cooling costs am I looking at for a two story vs a single story house?

2. DrPizza

DrPizza Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
    Administrator

All else being equal (same square footage, same thickness of insulation in walls, same square inches of windows, etc.), the two story house will be cheaper to heat and cool - less surface area for the same volume.

However, all else won't be equal. An important consideration is the attic insulation. Also, note that the two story, with same square footage, would have a smaller attic - cheaper to add insulation. The downside is, it'll also have a smaller basement.

3. BoberFett

BoberFett Lifer

The size of the house makes less of a difference than the age and building materials/insulation. Compare our old home and new home:

Current home:
    Built: 2002
    Foundation: ~1500sqft
    Total sq ft: ~3800sqft

Old Home
    Built: 1922
    Foundation: ~700sqft
    Total sq ft: ~1800sqft

It costs half as much to heat the new one.

4. Leros

Leros Lifer

Hmm, I figured a 2 story house would be more expensive. In the summer you're going to fight to cool the second story as heat rises. In the winter you're going to be fighting to heat the first story as heat rises. Although I guess you would adjust the vents accordingly.

5. Cyco

Cyco Diamond Member

I'm currently in a 1 story house, my last house was 2 story. Taking into consideration my current house is about 800 square feet less than my last one, my electric/gas bills went down to about half in the 1 story house.

6. postmortemIA

postmortemIA Diamond Member

two story should be worse - it is impossible to cool down second floor in summer without having first floor being unnecessary too cold

7. Leros

Leros Lifer

Any more thoughts. I'm getting both answers in this thread.

Keep in mind, I live in Austin where its hot in the summer and not terribly cold in winter.

8. ElFenix

ElFenix Elite Member<br> Super Moderator<br>Off Topic
    Super Moderator

this is why 2 story houses should always have the floors be on separate units.

9. NetWareHead

NetWareHead THAT guy

I've always had 2 story houses and the most important thing is to have separate heating and cooling zones for the upstairs and downstairs levels.

10. Leros

Leros Lifer

Are separate zones different than separate units?

11. bignateyk

bignateyk Lifer

Some units can do multiple zones. That way you can have the upstairs on its own zone so that you can control the temperature independently and not end up with a roasting upstairs in the winter and a frigid downstairs in the summer.