Cooling for an EVGA 7900 GT, any suggestions?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
What about the cooler on the EVGA GT CO? Is it better/different than the stock cooler? Looks like it from pics on newegg. The only reason I ask is that my step up 7900 GT CO shows up on thursday.

aldamon

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by: Pens1566
What about the cooler on the EVGA GT CO? Is it better/different than the stock cooler? Looks like it from pics on newegg. The only reason I ask is that my step up 7900 GT CO shows up on thursday.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the cooler has been upgraded in the CO model. It's just a speed-binned core.

starwars7

Dec 30, 2005
Originally posted by: aldamon
Originally posted by: lifeguard1999
Check out the VGA Cooler Roundup April 2006.

I rest my case. Thanks for the link.

As your case should be rested, the VF1 Plus was great, except if you want SLi, which I don't. However, even though I'm not going to mess with the volts, the article seems to think that the VF700 isn't worth getting compared to the stock cooler.

The NV Silencer also had some kick butt results.

Conclusion Quote from Madshrimps:

"As it currently stands, the Accelero X1 offered the best performance/noise ratio on the 7800GT, however if you are looking for a cooler which offers wider compatibility than the VF1 Plus and Zalman VF900-Cu will make an excellent option (if you are running in SLI, VF1 Plus might pose some issues due to its larger size). The VF700 and FS-V7 are actually last generation products and they can?t quite keep up with the competition, even the stock cooling from nVidia is able to best them."

I haven't heard anyone talk about the Accelero X1

jmke

Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: aldamon
Originally posted by: Pens1566

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the cooler has been upgraded in the CO model. It's just a speed-binned core.

the CO stands for COPPER and the whole center block over the GPU is made out of copper instead of an AlCu combo like on the other cards. I have an EVGA 7800GT CO in for testing , but no "vanilla" 7800GT anymore to do a stock vs stock cooling test :( will have to look around.

also have a Club3D 7900GT incoming (was shipped yesterday) so it'll be interesting to see what coolers can fit this card.

aldamon

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by: jmkethe CO stands for COPPER and the whole center block over the GPU is made out of copper instead of an AlCu combo like on the other cards. I have an EVGA 7800GT CO in for testing , but no "vanilla" 7800GT anymore to do a stock vs stock cooling test :( will have to look around.

Interesting. Thanks for the correction!

firewolfsm

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2005
There is no way that little alluminum cooler with 60mm fan is better and just as loud as the VF700, that review either has bad data or is being messed with.

luigionlsd

Jan 21, 2005
So it looks like VF1 or VF900... VF1's kinda big. Are there any real downsides to the VF900 besides price?

nullpointerus

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2003
Originally posted by: starwars7
I haven't heard anyone talk about the Accelero X1
People were disappointed with the X1 and X2 because 1) it doesn't use the DHES that made the Silencer coolers...uh, cool...and 2) the hot air is exhausted towards the system board, which may limit overclocking. (System board chipsets are often directly below or very close to the video card.) So it's a nice cooler but a sub-optimal design.

I haven't actually used an X1 on my 7900GT, though. Most likely I'll just mod the Silencer I have sitting around. EDIT: Doh, the X1 is incompatible with the 7900GT. I found this out weeks ago when I first researched aftermarket coolers for this card.