Cooling a Xeon E3110

Tullphan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
I realize it's basically an E8400, but I was wondering about cooling.
I know these 45nm chips run a little cooler, but if I overclock it to 3.5-3.6 (which shouldn't be a problem), how beefy a cooler will I need?
I've got 2 coolers that i've been beta testing...one w/dual 92mm fans & one w/dual 120mm fans. I'm currently using the latter on an overclocked Q6700 (3.3ghz). I used the former on it as well, but temps were about 4-5c warmer however that thing was enjoyably quiet.
I really don't wanna mess around w/swapping coolers because I don't have a motherboard-swapping-friendly case.
Comments? Suggestions?
Thanks!

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
I have an E3110 and have used a Thermaltake Golden Orb II and an Intel retail box HSF from another chip (normal sized one with a copper base, not the 1" tall thing that comes with the chip). Both were okay at 3.6GHz. If you aren't going to push it farther, then go with the quieter one.

Tullphan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
What kind of temps did you get with those coolers?
I've read that even though these cpu's run faster, once you get past a certain point (say past 3.6), the performance increase is insignificant. Is this true? If so, wouldn't it be best to keep it in the mid 3's to keep temps & voltages down?

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Tullphan
What kind of temps did you get with those coolers?

They get pretty warm, but I don't worry about it. I just set'n'forget it at around 3.6GHz. Makes for a nice, easy overclock.