Solved! CoolerMaster MWL vs Thermaltake Smart?

Valeny123

Jan 29, 2020
Hi, i have to choose between these two PSU (don't recommend me another):
- CoolerMaster MasterWatt Lite 600w 80+ White
- Thermaltake Smart 600w 80+ White

In terms of quality, noise, etc.
Thanks

Solution
neither

both are group regulated (5v and 12v regulated off one coil), lack overtemperature and even more importantly undervoltage protection, and if you are paying this kind of money, you'll likely not even need 600w in the first place

so even if you say i shouldn't, i recommend you get something else

LukeSavenije

Jan 29, 2020
linustechtips.com
neither

both are group regulated (5v and 12v regulated off one coil), lack overtemperature and even more importantly undervoltage protection, and if you are paying this kind of money, you'll likely not even need 600w in the first place

so even if you say i shouldn't, i recommend you get something else

Solution

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I stand by my recommendation that people should buy Seasonic branded or manufactured supplies. Some companies use Seasonic that then get re-labeled (Corsair for instance).

Then you know you are getting a quality supply that doesn't cheap out on parts and features. There isn't much of a price difference, especially if you are using the PSU to power expensive items like your graphics card. When looking at reviews, find a site that actually uses a power analyzer to measure ripple under load and such.

LukeSavenije

Jan 29, 2020
linustechtips.com
I stand by my recommendation that people should buy Seasonic branded or manufactured supplies. Some companies use Seasonic that then get re-labeled (Corsair for instance).
i don't get why seasonic has a reputation of this in the first place. they fell flat on their head with overload ripple on second revision focus, their lower end is an outdated topology with the s12iii, and the s12ii/m12ii are basically a 10 year old platform that doesn't even meet modern standards like c6/c7 states

corsair only has the ax currently as a seasonic, the rest is CWT, HEC, Greatwall and Flextronics.

don't recommend per company, recommend per model, because every company has crap in their lineup

edit: i'm not saying seasonic as a whole is crap, but it's not all perfect either

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
He probably lives in a locale with limited supply and exorbitant shipping to there. Possibly Eastern Europe or somewhere.

I would lean towards the Thermaltake.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Thermaltake, by a hair, but don't go by noise because when you choose a budget PSU with lower grade capacitors, you want more airflow (=noise) to make up for that. Then again of the parts you listed so far in prior posts (no video card and 1 HDD), it probably won't be producing enough heat to matter. The fan will fail first.

Scour

Aug 13, 2008
Well, if you still ran some very old Seasonics S12 since 12 years and more you will be still impressed how stable it runs :)
Not sure how good such old CWT-design would run.

My G450 also runs fine since more than 5 years.