Coolermaster HAF XM with no top fan - okay to run a week or two?

Discussion in 'Cases & Cooling' started by nine9s, Nov 13, 2012.

1. nine9s

nine9s Senior member

I have a Coolermaster HAF XM case. The top fan is making roaring noise lately. I plan to RMA it to Coolermaster. Process will take a week or two to get a fan replacement back.

Do you think it is okay to use my computer (3770K CPU, 680GTX video card) for 2 weeks with no top fan (I do not notice any warm air coming from it - for comparison purposes, the back exhaust fan has noticeable warm air - so maybe it is not doing much in the first place)? Or should I just buy one at Fry's and not RMA the old one? Buying one at Fry's would cost me $15 plus tax, whereas the RMA will cost me $3 postage probably.

To save $12 to $13, I would rather do the RMA, unless the situation could cause a heat problem?

2. Loading...

3. T_Yamamoto

T_Yamamoto Lifer

It'll be fine.

4. lehtv

lehtv Elite Member

The top fan is doing its job of pushing out warm air, it just doesn't feel warm when the CFM is much more and the air spreads in a much bigger cone. But you'll be fine with just one rear fan for a while, unless your system was heavily overclocked in which case you'd probably not be asking us for advice