Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus is awesome

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
Don't worry about it. As long as it doesn't reach 100 and throttles it's fine.

This thread is not about the safe operating temperature of a CPU, its in appreciation of CM 212 series, a cheap $30 cooler doing a awesome job!

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006
This thread is not about the safe operating temperature of a CPU, its in appreciation of CM 212 series, a cheap $30 cooler doing a awesome job!

And doing it quietly, especially compared to the OEM cooler. I have one in my server with an FX8350 and it is virtually silent.

pooptastic

Oct 18, 2015
Great cooler if it fits your case. I tried to cram it into a lian li and didn't realise it was only 140mm max in the case.

Think they're 160mm

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
And doing it quietly, especially compared to the OEM cooler. I have one in my server with an FX8350 and it is virtually silent.

I agree, given I have a P280, which is on the "silent" side when it comes to cases, but the increase in fan noise when the CPU is at 100% is much less compared to other coolers. One of the HDD makes more noise when it wakes up :D

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
Cheap is good, since when? It is definitely better than most stock coolers, but when you compare it with more expensive solutions, it falls short real fast. It's just not powerful enough to remove heat in a reasonably quiet fashion (and when you start changing fans on it, you might as well invest in a better solution right from the start). My first experience with 212 was cooling my hot-running Phenom X4 965 125W CPU and whilst it was much quieter than the stock solution, it still got fairly loud, so I got rid of it. The worst part though, was the mounting, I absolutely hated that part. Never again. Been buying various Noctua products since then. Very happy. Their new one, - D15S has fixed compatibility problems with tall ram and the top pci-e slot.

Last edited:

calyco

Oct 7, 2004
Great cooler if it fits your case. I tried to cram it into a lian li and didn't realise it was only 140mm max in the case.

Think they're 160mm

I was lucky and just got the side panel on, Lian Li case.

Recently installed the Hyper 212 EVO and its awesome for the price. i7 6700K OC @ 4.5ghz, stable at 1.280v. 100% usage, fan is at 1200rpm and reading 62C.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
Cheap is good, since when? It is definitely better than most stock coolers, but when you compare it with more expensive solutions, it falls short real fast. It's just not powerful enough to remove heat in a reasonably quiet fashion (and when you start changing fans on it, you might as well invest in a better solution right from the start). My first experience with 212 was cooling my hot-running Phenom X4 965 125W CPU and whilst it was much quieter than the stock solution, it still got fairly loud, so I got rid of it. The worst part though, was the mounting, I absolutely hated that part. Never again. Been buying various Noctua products since then. Very happy. Their new one, - D15S has fixed compatibility problems with tall ram and the top pci-e slot.

Well, in this day and age if you are still using a 125 watt CPU then yes, I guess you need some expensive cooling. The closest I ever used was probably D 945, but I used Scythe Ninja on that :D.

Current i7-4790k is running at ~4.5 Ghz and peak temp under full load is around 62, my case is P280, I don't hear much increase in noise, my GPU (reference cooler) makes much more noise